The Student Room Group

Does it get better?

After the first half term in year 12, I really wonder if it'll get any easier like they say. So far I've gotten a C in biology, a U in chemistry and I have no idea about German. Is it normal to do badly at first?
It is completely normal to not be achieving the grades you aspire to achieve when you first start your A-Levels. It all comes with practice and getting used to the subject content. So yes, in that sense it does get better however you cannot expect that to happen without putting the work in, and the workload tends to increase throughout the year (or at least it did for me.) I wish you luck :smile:
Um no it doesn't, but you'll get used to the amount of work required.
Remember it's a huge jump in terms of difficulty between GCSEs and A level, and it's still early days yet!
The jump from A level to Uni is much smaller
Reply 3
Original post by Retro_bean
After the first half term in year 12, I really wonder if it'll get any easier like they say. So far I've gotten a C in biology, a U in chemistry and I have no idea about German. Is it normal to do badly at first?

YUP just work i was on D, C, A at the start of AS now my UCAS predictions are A*A*A*. just put in work. and fro chemistry read chemrevise whenever you can- read ahead if possible will help you understand loads
Reply 4
Original post by Retro_bean

It should get better if you really put the work in. Loads of my friends struggled at first, especially with sciences where its such a big jump and so much to learn, even ones who got As and A*s before.
I did biology and was getting D/E/U at first, then put in loads of effort and started to get As and Bs however I then stopped putting in the effort when it came to exams and got a U at AS! So just put in consistent hard work all year and it should get better, as time passes and you learn more things should start to settle in your head and make sense.
Reply 5
Original post by EmilySarah00
It is completely normal to not be achieving the grades you aspire to achieve when you first start your A-Levels. It all comes with practice and getting used to the subject content. So yes, in that sense it does get better however you cannot expect that to happen without putting the work in, and the workload tends to increase throughout the year (or at least it did for me.) I wish you luck :smile:

Thank u :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by bruh2132
YUP just work i was on D, C, A at the start of AS now my UCAS predictions are A*A*A*. just put in work. and fro chemistry read chemrevise whenever you can- read ahead if possible will help you understand loads

Reply 7
Original post by modnar
It should get better if you really put the work in. Loads of my friends struggled at first, especially with sciences where its such a big jump and so much to learn, even ones who got As and A*s before.
I did biology and was getting D/E/U at first, then put in loads of effort and started to get As and Bs however I then stopped putting in the effort when it came to exams and got a U at AS! So just put in consistent hard work all year and it should get better, as time passes and you learn more things should start to settle in your head and make sense.

Thank u

Quick Reply

Latest