The Student Room Group

Buying a new TV

Hi folks

I'm thinking of buying a new widescreen TV. I haven't bought one for over 20 years and would like advice on what features both essential and 'nice to have' features I should look for when selecting my TV.

Also, do you suggest I should select the TV model from the popular makes such as Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic etc, or should I widen my choice?

Thanks
Congrats! Enjoy the new one.
Reply 2
Original post by geek84
Hi folks

I'm thinking of buying a new widescreen TV. I haven't bought one for over 20 years and would like advice on what features both essential and 'nice to have' features I should look for when selecting my TV.

Also, do you suggest I should select the TV model from the popular makes such as Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic etc, or should I widen my choice?

Thanks

I would recommend getting hold of the 'Which' magazine and having a look at the best buys.
Original post by geek84
Hi folks

Thanks

If your TV is over 20 years old, you will be happy with anything on the market now. Just buy something on Black Friday as you're obviously not that bothered about the latest tech, so may as well save some money.
Original post by geek84
Hi folks

Thanks

Personally: I go for Samsung or LG. They're the best TV's IMO. Go for one which has a nice LED backlit screen and perhaps one which is "smart"/internet enabled.

If you can give me an idea of what type of TV you want (size, .etc), then I'll be more than willing to give you recommendations :h:
Samsung is my option
I would always go for Samsung. And did last year. But LG are very good too. Depends on budget as ever. Size. 4K. If you just plan to watch TV on it or for console gaming?
Reply 7
I do a lot of work with digital screens and lately have come to really despise Samsung due to poor QA practices and support. LG are quite good. In terms of raw image quality I have always preferred Sharp. Admittedly my main TV at home is a Panasonic, but that is mainly because it was on sale when I bought it.

In terms of features it really depends on what you want to do with it. 90% of my TV viewing is done through a Chromecast so I just need an HDMI input on the TV. I would go for one with at least 2 HDMI inputs so you can plug in something like a Chromecast and some kind of set top box without fiddling with wires. One that supports playing media via a USB drive is also a handy feature.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending