The Student Room Group

My boss makes me work illegal hours and has involved me in fraud

So basically, I work in a cafe. I'm under the age of 16 and have just managed to reduce my working hours from 20+ a week. I only stay at my job because it's really nearby. But last time I was in, my boss made me fill out health and safety forms which hadn't and should have been filled in from half way through last year. So I spent my whole shift writing out fake accounts from May 2016 just to keep inspectors happy. I feel really bad about the whole thing and it's clear my boss is taking advantage of me but I don't want to lose my job and I don't know if I should report it?
You can get other jobs
Original post by DrawTheLine
You can get other jobs

Most places won't take on people under 16 though.
although this fake health & safety stuff is illegal i would not bother reporting it. as you say the job is convenient for you & they do not seem fussed by your age... just put up with it until you are old enough to apply for other work.
Reply 4
Original post by louis theroux
So basically, I work in a cafe. I'm under the age of 16 and have just managed to reduce my working hours from 20+ a week. I only stay at my job because it's really nearby. But last time I was in, my boss made me fill out health and safety forms which hadn't and should have been filled in from half way through last year. So I spent my whole shift writing out fake accounts from May 2016 just to keep inspectors happy. I feel really bad about the whole thing and it's clear my boss is taking advantage of me but I don't want to lose my job and I don't know if I should report it?

Yes. Report it.
You may not mind too much, but if they're doing it with you they may do it with others and the health and safety form things is just wrong.
Original post by Emma:-)
Most places won't take on people under 16 though.

I know, but there's babysitting, dog-walking, paper rounds. If she's that miserable, she will leave and look for something else. Sure, it'll be less money but at least she won't be worried about doing things illegally.
Reply 6
Yeah, you could keep filling out forms illegally to no consequence. You could also get caught and end up ruining your prospects down the line...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending