The Student Room Group

Stats help please

Two fair six sided dies are rolled.
Both dies are rolled 20 times.
Find p that at least once the two dice will show 6?
Reply 1
Original post by English-help
Two fair six sided dies are rolled.
Both dies are rolled 20 times.
Find p that at least once the two dice will show 6?

The probability of rolling two sixes when two dice are rolled is 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36

The dice are rolled twenty times. Let X be the number of times a pair of sixes is rolled. Then X ~ B(20, 1/36)

Does this help? If any of this doesn't make sense to you, please tell us if you are doing GCSE/A Level and what topics you have done.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
The probability of rolling two sixes when two dice are rolled is 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36

The dice are rolled twenty times. Let X be the number of times a pair of sixes is rolled. Then X ~ B(20, 1/36)

Does this help? If any of this doesn't make sense to you, please tell us if you are doing GCSE/A Level and what topics you have done.

The first bit makes sense to me as the probability of getting a 6 is 1/6 on a fair die

Okay so its binomial, it makes sense , its how I apply it into a formula which confuses me , I have just started A level maths
Reply 3
The first bit makes sense to me as the probability of getting a 6 is 1/6 on a fair die

Okay so its binomial, it makes sense , its how I apply it into a formula which confuses me , I have just started A level maths

X ~ B(20, 1/36) and you need to find P(X 1). And P(X 1) = 1 - P(X = 0).

Do you know how to carry on from here? If not, you may need to check your textbook, watch a video or ask your teacher.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
X ~ B(20, 1/36) and you need to find P(X > 1). And P(X > 1) = 1 - P(X = 0).

Do you know how to carry on from here? If not, you may need to check your textbook, watch a video or ask your teacher.

Okay so I'll try doing it now , thanks
Original post by Notnek
X ~ B(20, 1/36) and you need to find P(X > 1). And P(X > 1) = 1 - P(X = 0).

Can you confirm to me that P(X=0)= 0.56926 , well thats what I got on my calculator but it seems wrong :redface:
Reply 6
Can you confirm to me that P(X=0)= 0.56926 , well thats what I got on my calculator but it seems wrong :redface:

That's what I got :smile:

If you think about it, 1/36 is quite unlikely so even with 20 trials, there's still a pretty good chance that you will never roll a pair of sixes so 0.569... makes sense.
Original post by Notnek
That's what I got :smile:

If you think about it, 1/36 is quite unlikely so even with 20 trials, there's still a pretty good chance that you will never roll a pair of sixes so 0.569... makes sense.

Well then I have to do 1-0.569 right?
Thanks so much for the help!
Reply 8
Well then I have to do 1-0.569 right?
Thanks so much for the help!

Yes that's right.

Quick Reply

Latest