The Student Room Group

Need help a level options

Im currently in year 11 need some advice on what to take for A level. I want to do a career in finance specifically investmemt banking. Im currently thinking of doing Maths,Economics,physics,chemistry.
Original post by Jr.762
Im currently in year 11 need some advice on what to take for A level. I want to do a career in finance specifically investmemt banking. Im currently thinking of doing Maths,Economics,physics,chemistry.

That's exactly what I picked and honestly you don't need physics or chemistry at all for investment banking unless you're unsure of what you want to do.

You will have to revise A LOT and be dedicated if you want to get good grades, and that's something I wasn't so consistent at so I didn't get the grades I could have. If you're aiming for say A's I'd advise you to start revising from the very first month if you pick those subjects.
Reply 2
Those are the subjects that I would think of however may I remind you that (speaking from experience and many friends) that at least 3 of those subjects are very difficult.
Would you do them for 2 years?

I think the best thing is to look at degrees in finance then look at the entry requirements
Original post by Jr.762

Also may I add that physics and chemistry are arguably the 2 hardest a-levels you can pick, so I would think about it very carefully.
Reply 4
Original post by ScrewTheExams
That's exactly what I picked and honestly you don't need physics or chemistry at all for investment banking unless you're unsure of what you want to do.

You will have to revise A LOT and be dedicated if you want to get good grades, and that's something I wasn't so consistent at so I didn't get the grades I could have. If you're aiming for say A's I'd advise you to start revising from the very first month if you pick those subjects.

Yeah i heard chemsitry is really hard at a level do you think it would be better switching out one of the sciences for a humanities subject like philosophy or history?
Original post by Jr.762

Sounds like solid choices, but do you really want to do physics and chemistry? Both can be pretty challenging and aren't all that useful unless you're trying to keep your options open in case you decide to go down the science/engineering route.
Reply 6
Original post by Jr.762

I'd say Maths and Economics are great as learning finance in a university at a higher level will incorporate lots of maths, and basic essay writing skills and economic knowledge will be needed as well. But I don't really think you would need physics and chemistry if you're going into finance. Maybe you can choose a language if you plan to work for different international banks and some workplaces like it due to the growing globalisation or humanities subject as all the previous replies have said physics and chemistry are hard and knowing from most of my friends who do at least one science objects said IT IS HARD. I do maths as well, and you will have a lot of maths work that you would need to keep revising so choosing two other hard subjects will put more pressure on you.
Original post by Jr.762
Yeah i heard chemsitry is really hard at a level do you think it would be better switching out one of the sciences for a humanities subject like philosophy or history?

Yes, if you want to do a career that does not involve the hard science subject like Chemistry or Physics then there's no point picking them, it will only make your life a lot harder.

Quick Reply