The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Will uni get better?

I'm a student who lives at home and on a good day at off-peak road times it takes me 40/50 minutes to drive to uni however on the days I have an early lecture or drive at on-peak times it can take me over two hours of traveling.

I feel like I hate uni, I'm missing student life and I'm generally just unhappy.

Does uni get better or will I always hate it?
Original post by chloefarrell1
I'm a student who lives at home and on a good day at off-peak road times it takes me 40/50 minutes to drive to uni however on the days I have an early lecture or drive at on-peak times it can take me over two hours of traveling.

I feel like I hate uni, I'm missing student life and I'm generally just unhappy.

Sounds like its the commute you hate. Have you thought about moving to live there or switching courses to one nearer to you? Maybe better planning and get there really early then stay there till you know you can avoid the peak traffic?

On the basis of what you said then im not sure how the commute will change unless the timetable does next year but it could also be worse.

You dont say anything about the course or making friends , which are the usual complaints.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by 999tigger
Sounds like its the commute you hate. Have you thought about moving to live there or switching courses to one nearer to you? Maybe better planning and get there really early then stay there till you know you can avoid the peak traffic?

On the basis of what you said then im not sure how the commute will change unless the timetable does next year but it could also be worse.

You dont say anything about the course or making friends , which are the usual complaints.

I’ve had a look at closer unis to me but I’m so conflicted on what to do. I don’t know if I like the course and I’m very limited on friends and don’t sit with anyone on most of my lectures.

I just can’t decide if uni life is for me. I definitely don’t want to live in at uni so I feel stuck with few options
I’ve had a look at closer unis to me but I’m so conflicted on what to do. I don’t know if I like the course and I’m very limited on friends and don’t sit with anyone on most of my lectures.

I just can’t decide if uni life is for me. I definitely don’t want to live in at uni so I feel stuck with few options

You might as well stick the course for the term out and then decide towards the end. Warn sfe if you decide to quit and if you do so in time they are likely to stop charging for fees before second term. Check with the uni.

Its not going to get any closer and making friends really requires you to be on site or start a club for people who commute.

You get a gift year, so if you leave they will still allow funding for a different course at a different uni, but you only usually get one chance.

If you quit then you can always go back to uni in the future when you know where and what you wish to do.

Sorry to hear that you're not enjoying university at the moment.

Have you tried making an appointment with your Student Support Officer? They will be able to offer you some advice, and maybe look at alternative course options if you aren't enjoying the course you are currently on. They will also be able to talk through your commuting options with you; and if you do decide to withdraw, they will be able to talk you through the process. Details of the Student Support Officers can be found at http://www.mmu.ac.uk/sas/studentservices/student-support-officers.php.

Have you thought about joining a society? They are really good way to meet like minded people and many people who commute join a society to meet new people :smile: You can browse our societies at https://www.theunionmmu.org/groups.

Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending