The Student Room Group

W. A. Mozart's Study Blog: Composer with composure

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Black Water
Ohh right, that's good! Your choices are amazing by the way. :smile: Do you know which ones you will firm and insure?

I have no idea at the moment, it’s going to be a tough choice for sure! :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by W. A. Mozart
I have no idea at the moment, it’s going to be a tough choice for sure! :tongue:

It definitely will be a tough choice for you. Do you mind me asking what you got in GCSE's? In addition, did you apply for university in your original year 13?
It definitely will be a tough choice for you. Do you mind me asking what you got in GCSE's? In addition, did you apply for university in your original year 13?

For my GCSEs I got 6A, 3B.

I did apply in Year 13, I got offers from Warwick, UCL, KCL and Bristol, along with a rejection from Oxford.
Reply 23
For my GCSEs I got 6A, 3B.

I did apply in Year 13, I got offers from Warwick, UCL, KCL and Bristol, along with a rejection from Oxford.

Ah nice. If you got offers from these universities, then I'm sure you can do it again. Were your predicted grades A*AA?
Ah nice. If you got offers from these universities, then I'm sure you can do it again. Were your predicted grades A*AA?

Yeah they were A*AA last year. I’m not sure what they’re going to be this year though.
Reply 25
Yeah they were A*AA last year. I’m not sure what they’re going to be this year though.

Nice. Yeah that's what I was wondering as well, and who will set your target grades? They should be A*A*A this time. I like UCL though, they have you an offer with A*AA last year? It must of been because of your GCSE's as well. Did your last A*AA prediction include Further Maths?
Nice. Yeah that's what I was wondering as well, and who will set your target grades? They should be A*A*A this time. I like UCL though, they have you an offer with A*AA last year? It must of been because of your GCSE's as well. Did your last A*AA prediction include Further Maths?

Yeah UCL give me an offer of AAA for Physics, even though my predicted grades were A*AA.

Last year I had the predicted grades of A* in Maths, A in Physics and A in Chemistry. Only picked up FM this time around :tongue:

Edit: My target grades will be set by my old head of sixth form. He’s doing my reference as well.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
Yeah UCL give me an offer of AAA for Physics, even though my predicted grades were A*AA.

Last year I had the predicted grades of A* in Maths, A in Physics and A in Chemistry. Only picked up FM this time around :tongue:

Edit: My target grades will be set by my old head of sixth form. He’s doing my reference as well.

Damn, your UCL offer was really good. Oh ok, I thought so as well that I thought you picked up Further Maths now. I hope your old head of sixth form does predict you A*A*A because that would be a lot better.
Damn, your UCL offer was really good. Oh ok, I thought so as well that I thought you picked up Further Maths now. I hope your old head of sixth form does predict you A*A*A because that would be a lot better.

Yeah it would be especially helpful for Imperial. I only applied there just because I couldn’t really decide on a fifth choice, so I just thought “Eh why not, let’s see if they would give me an offer”.
Reply 29
Yeah it would be especially helpful for Imperial. I only applied there just because I couldn’t really decide on a fifth choice, so I just thought “Eh why not, let’s see if they would give me an offer”.

Yeah that would really help you then especially since Physics is really competitive there and they want A*A*A. That's good though, if you do end up getting an offer that's even better.
Actually love the username! :biggrin:
Update VII

I had two night shifts at work between the last update and this one, so I didn't expect to get much work done.

Revision of aims (commencing 23rd October 2017-25th October 2017)

Make good progress with S1

I managed to finish two chapters of the book out of a total eight. It's not great really, considering the first chapter was just "What is statistics?" and the second chapter was essentially GCSE Maths revision.

I have been sleeping so much and there's nothing much I can do about it. A reduction in working hours is happening soon which is the only solution I can think of.

Aims (commencing 26th October 2017-29th October 2017)

Complete chapters 3-5 of S1

Now that I know how dense the module is, I can set an actual quantitative goal.

It's pretty realistic, but again I have three days of work between now and Sunday so it will be difficult. Hopefully I can give away a couple of my shifts and then I can finish S1 by Sunday, with any luck.
Reply 32

Update VII

I had two night shifts at work between the last update and this one, so I didn't expect to get much work done.

I managed to finish two chapters of the book out of a total eight. It's not great really, considering the first chapter was just "What is statistics?" and the second chapter was essentially GCSE Maths revision.

I have been sleeping so much and there's nothing much I can do about it. A reduction in working hours is happening soon which is the only solution I can think of.

It's pretty realistic, but again I have three days of work between now and Sunday so it will be difficult. Hopefully I can give away a couple of my shifts and then I can finish S1 by Sunday, with any luck.

Good to hear that you're making some progress. :smile: You should cut your hours down, as you said it may help you to get more work done.

Update VII

How do you like Stats so far?

Personally it's the part of maths i'm beginning to dislike the most :colondollar:
Original post by ValiantExistence
How do you like Stats so far?

Personally it's the part of maths i'm beginning to dislike the most :colondollar:

I’m struggling with S1 at the moment, it’s definitely the hardest module I’ve done so far.
For someone that's going into theoretical physics, I think that you would enjoy M3.
Update VIII

I did quite a bit of work, I'm proud of myself. I did also do a lot of sleeping though which, well, just happened I guess. I had a nice weekend break from work which allowed me power through S1.

Revision of aims (commencing 26th October 2017-29th October 2017)

I managed to exceed the aim greatly by actually finishing S1. That means it took about a week in total for me to do the whole module, alongside working and my excessive sleep, which I'm quite shocked that I managed to do.

I said only yesterday that I was struggling with S1, but Jack Brown's videos on AQA S1 on YouTube were so so so helpful. I watched his videos on the topics I didn't understand and it all made perfect sense.

Aims (commencing 30th October 2017-1st November 2017)

Revise S1, make sure I understand everything

Skim through older maths modules (C3,C4,M1,FP1) to keep it fresh in my mind

I haven't really set much in terms of studying for the next few days, but I am working for every day in the period so I don't know how I'm going to find much time to study. I'll be able to speed things up again on Wednesday by setting tougher aims.

I also realised that I haven't set any aims for Physics yet, I have only been studying Maths. My current plan is to start with Physics again after I have finished all of the FM modules. Physics is going to be the hardest subject for me, so I am wary that I do need to allocate it a lot of time.

W.A. Mozart's Study Blog: Composer with composure

Synopsis

So as a bit of context, I am currently a private student (self-teaching etc.) and I am essentially 'retaking' Year 13 after things went a bit awry earlier this year. I didn't actually sit the exams, but instead I decided to postpone them for a year. I will be applying to study Physics/Theoretical Physics in September, and with any luck I will get some offers!

As the title suggests, this is a little bit of a blog where I will hopefully motivate myself to study in the run-up to my exams in June. I also plan to use it to keep myself organised so that I don't get lost along the way.

This thread will be especially important for me as I try to juggle having a full-time job, studying three A Levels, having fun, getting enough sleep, and also keeping my health in check. I hope you will join me on my (potentially wild) journey! :smile:

Exams I shall be sitting:

A Level Physics (P1, P2, P3+Turning Points module)

A2 Mathematics (C3, C4, M1)

AS+A2 Further Mathematics (FP1, FP2, M2, S1, S2, D1, D2)

Universities I have applied to:

Durham

Warwick

Bristol

UCL

KCL

Thank you for reading, and let's get started.

(Sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to the appropriate place).

Hiya! I really like your blog :h: I've featured it in our favourite blogs which you can find here. Happy studying :excited:

Update IX

I have had literally no time to study since Sunday. I have been working for 8 hours per day, sleeping from 11pm-11am. It's **** but there is not much that I can do about it really, if I require that much sleep I can't just deprive myself of it and expect my brain to function properly.

Revision of aims (commencing 30th October 2017-1st November 2017)

Pretty much a complete fail, but I won't be too hard on myself as it's out of my control. :redface:

Aims (commencing 2nd November 2017-5th November 2017)

Start a new Maths module (FP1?S2?D2?M2?)

On the bright side, I don't have work again until Tuesday next week. This means that I will have plenty of precious studying time. I don't think I will have any problem with completing the aims for this period, and probably doing even more work too. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Update X

It hasn't been a very good few days if I'm honest. So I mentioned that I had a nice few days off to devote to studying, well yeah. My mental state hasn't been very 'good' the past couple of days which has made studying quite difficult. Along with this mental state comes excessive sleeping, which just means that I had even less time to study.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm making excuses here though, I did try to study but my brain just didn't want to. I can't really explain it in a way that makes much sense, if I'm honest.

Revision of aims (commencing 2nd November 2017-5th November 2017)

I guess I didn't do too bad?

The second bullet point is in yellow as I plan to do it tonight whilst I'm feeling a lot better and more motivated. I did some good work with the first one though, I went over the 'Numerical measures' chapter rigorously yesterday and now I understand it very well. I was a bit shaky before.

The third bullet point I just didn't get around to. I still have tomorrow off though, so if I manage to finish off the second bullet point tonight I can get cracking on a new module. :smile:

Aims (commencing 6th November 2017-8th November 2017)

Make a revision schedule for the week

I need some more organisation and structure in my life, so I am going to start making schedules every week. They need to change every week due to my work timetable, but I quite enjoy making them so I don't mind. :colondollar:

I guess it would make sense to make the schedule today so that I have one to start tomorrow/next week.

See you next time. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest