The Student Room Group

Post- uni applications

If I change my mind last minute(by this I mean the moment I start getting offers from unis) and decide that I want a gap year can I just call the uni up and tell them to defer/ reserve my place for the following year even if I have not applied for a 'Deffered entry' via UCAS from the beginning?
Original post by Maro122
If I change my mind last minute(by this I mean the moment I start getting offers from unis) and decide that I want a gap year can I just call the uni up and tell them to defer/ reserve my place for the following year even if I have not applied for a 'Deffered entry' via UCAS from the beginning?

Yes you can. They’ll probably just ask what you intend to do in your gap year before they approve it.
Reply 2
Original post by HeadHoncho
Yes you can. They’ll probably just ask what you intend to do in your gap year before they approve it.

Will they reserve my place? Or will I have to reapply?
Original post by Maro122

You’ll have the place, no need to reapply
Reply 4
Original post by HeadHoncho
You’ll have the place, no need to reapply

If what I want to do in the gap year has nothing to do with the course is that bad? Will they reject?
Original post by Maro122

Normally yes - although sometimes universities don't allow this and will ask you to reapply during your gap year.
Original post by Maro122
If what I want to do in the gap year has nothing to do with the course is that bad? Will they reject?

It'd be unusual that they'd even ask why you're deferring and if they do it will be to make sure that there wasn't a problem with their process (like you ended up without somewhere to live!) rather than to try to catch you out.

Quick Reply

Latest