The Student Room Group

What is “rep” on TSR?

Hi everyone,

I joined TSR a couple of days ago, and I noticed I got some “reputation”.
1) why do I sometimes get more than other times? Does it depend on who gives me rep?
2) does it have any effect on anything if you have a lot or a little?
3) how many reps for each green bar next to people’s names?

Thanks
Anna xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's just an upvoting system where you get points for posting.

The amount of rep points you get is determined by the number of gems someone has.

You can view how many points you need for each gem.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=rep#faq_what_is_rep
It's an indicator for who can come up with the most nonsensical and witty posts, which have no bearing on the subject of a given thread.

Rumour has it that each green gem also augments your ego.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks everyone :smile:
Do you know why I get different numbers of rep at different times? Xx

112BEEF4-1A93-49B9-97B6-DFC8A1C8F8FD.png
Rep is a currency. You get it for being awesome.

And then at Christmas we all get to spend our rep for the year in the massive debauched TSR party buying coke and revision guides.

Afterwards we crawl back to our holes for the rest of the year to type angrily on the internet.
Reply 5
Original post by AnnaBanana2000

As I said, it's the number of points you get for that reputation. It's dependent on how many gems the giver has... So I've just repped you and you should see 12 points.
Original post by AnnaBanana2000

It's based off the user, so UWS for example gives 12 points when he reps, I'd give 7 and a new user would give 0 for a while.
dont worry about what it is just give me some
Reply 8
The best people give +11.
Oh ok, thanks for your help everyone! Xx
Original post by Doonesbury
The best people give +11.

xD
Apparently you also used to be able to downvote. I asked about why you can't any more and the response was essentially "As society, we also used to keep slaves and prohibit universal suffrage. Getting rid of neg rep was the natural progression of civilization"
Original post by Trinculo
Apparently you also used to be able to downvote. I asked about why you can't any more and the response was essentially "As society, we also used to keep slaves and prohibit universal suffrage. Getting rid of neg rep was the natural progression of civilization"

So down voting someone was as bad as the slave trade?

Okay then...
Original post by cc85734
So down voting someone was as bad as the slave trade?

Okay then...

That was the gist of the argument that was presented to me.

It happened a couple of years before I joined, but it seems that TSR felt that downvoting was the cause of serious cyber bullying and a threat to the mental health of members.

It happened a couple of years before I joined, but it seems that TSR felt that downvoting was the cause of serious cyber bullying and a threat to the mental health of members.

... why?

Because I'm going to be so upset that someone disagrees or doesn't like my post.
People can still say things to others anyways...
Reply 15

I hear TSR got rid of it because they discovered new users who ended up in neg rep often stopped posting and left the site.............
Repped :h:
there are also badges you can win, but i am not sure about the details :dontknow:
they dont matter
Original post by the bear
there are also badges you can win, but i am not sure about the details :dontknow:

They have descriptions now (and progress bars for the next milestone).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending