The Student Room Group

Oxbridge = Inaccessible to most students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Oxbridge really acts as a shorthand in the public debate for the concept of 'the better universities'. It's an easy target to accuse of unjustified privilege, etc, despite in some important ways being less privileged in access terms now than some of the 'lesser' members of the Russell Group. The attack dogs ought to be widening their nets, to mix metaphors. For politicians however, slapping down the Warwicks and the Durhams and the Bristols would in no way substitute for the kudos of having a bash at Ox & Cambs. "Would sir like a side dish of outdated hate with that?"

.:youbetcha:

Tried to give you an upvote and am met yet again with : "please rate some other members before rating this member again".

Last time I successfully upvoted you was two days ago.

Has OFFA dictated quotas for the TSR too?:frown:
Original post by AllonsEnfants!
.:youbetcha:

Tried to give you an upvote and am met yet again with : "please rate some other members before rating this member again".

Last time I successfully upvoted you was two days ago.

Has OFFA dictated quotas for the TSR too?:frown:

:teehee: I receive approx 1 rep point for every ~5 attempts. :smug: I like to think this makes me 'elite' but not as elite as the folks over at the 11-levels of the stratosphere.
:teehee: I receive approx 1 rep point for every ~5 attempts. :smug: I like to think this makes me 'elite' but not as elite as the folks over at the 11-levels of the stratosphere.

"I receive approx 1 rep point for every ~5 attempts."

Well, that's really fair :frown:

I hear they had the same problem voting in Catalonia recently.:wink:

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 15.00.20.jpg

Wut?!

:wink:
Original post by Doonesbury

Wut?!

The clue's in the user name - they're full of surprises... :getmecoat:
Original post by J-SP
This to me suggests more of the access courses could be the answer. Why not give the individual the chance to perform at the equivalent of A* grades during a foundation year, especially with the support of highly reputable academics and all the college support systems. Also allows people to try out the university and try to get passed any preconceived ideas about how diverse/undiverse it is, and potentially feel like they could integrate without having to make a three year commitment.

Agreed :smile:
Original post by J-SP
I'm quite happy to have a in depth stats conversation. You just need to explain it to me in plain English. Not all of us are as clued up on these things.
Well, if you assume scores for a given group (could be socio-economic, could be by ethnicity) are normally distributed, and that group A underperforms group B by a certain amount (could be %age, could be absolute, it doesn't really matter as long as the amount is not too large), then you would expect that if you need to score X for interview, but Y for acceptance (where Y > X and both are large enough to be well into the 'tail' of the distribution), then you'd expect a higher falloff in group A between interview and acceptance than you would for group B. And these effects all get more extreme as you probe towards the extremes of the population.

It's therefore not necessarily surprising, or an indicator of bias (*), that we see inequality growing between interview and acceptance.

(*) You could call it bias in terms of not making allowances. But I think people see (made up figures follow): "10% of AAA+ black applicants get in, 20% of AAA+ white applicants get in, that's obviously bias against black applicants" when a completely colour blind process could easily have that result.

Wut?!

Cough. I meant 12. :blush:

The LMH scheme is very new so I imagine the other colleges will be watching with interest so see how the first cohort progresses.

Overall, the Foundation Year programme:

Takes academically able students from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds and enables them to fulfil their potential

Gives students the teaching and support they need to progress to a full degree either at Oxford or another university.

Provides free teaching and accommodation for the duration of the Foundation Year, along with a stipend to cover living expenses

Has lowered entrance requirements (e.g. Typically BBB for a course that requires AAA for direct undergraduate applicants at Oxford)

(edited 6 years ago)
"I receive approx 1 rep point for every ~5 attempts."

Well, that's really fair :frown:

I hear they had the same problem voting in Catalonia recently.:wink:

Vote early and vote often.

One thing I have noticed in TSR generally is that the more I like another editor, the less I can do about it. Kind of a permanent unrequited love situation. :sad:
I think there could also be more information provided to people from disadvantaged backgrounds and marginalised communities in terms of the specifics of the support provided. I know, for instance, that there is a counselling service and pastoral support in the vague sense, but I don't know how long the service lasts/whether it's any good for my (often trans-related) issues/how colleges handle unsupportive parents and the vacation/financial issue mixed in with that.

This isn't to say it's off-putting as such, but it would be nice to know more or have a greater understanding of how someone like me (disabled, not in a great financial situation, trans) would be supported. I imagine it's much the same for people from ethnic and socio-economic minority backgrounds and it's this lack of information that might make the difference between a teacher saying "I'm not sure you would fit in there" and "you've got good grades, you should give it a go".

Outreach does do a lot, but it's only a band-aid method compared to tackling false notions about university/improving disadvantaged schools - factors that really will make a difference between an applicant applying vs not.
Original post by J-SP
Really hope it works! It might make other traditional universities who have avoided these programmes also take note and consider it, as well as other colleges.

Durham has one - not sure how many other "top" universities do it.

And LMH is fully-funded, unlike Durham.
Original post by J-SP
Warwick has one, with some funding. It will be a much bigger cohort than LMH though.

UCL, St Andrews and KCL also have foundation year courses - universities with much lower entry requirements also frequently use them. Some universities do have a tendency to use them for international students as much as from an access perspective.

Well I was excluding the Scottish ones because they have early years generally anyway.

And yes many of those schemes (ie. London unis) are more for internationals
Original post by auburnstar
I think there could also be more information provided to people from disadvantaged backgrounds and marginalised communities in terms of the specifics of the support provided..

Oh for goodness sakes!

Do students need to be spoonfed every single morsel? Why can't these 'people from disadvantaged backgrounds' show a bit of nous and look it up on the university websites for themselves? And if they can't find the answer then send an email? Why does Oxbridge have to spend even more £millions just to save them the effort?

I am astonished that Oxbridge spends £millions and time on 'outreach' which is basically telling students the universities exist and are happy to receive applications from them. Isn't that the job of any competent secondary school teacher?

There is unfairness in the Oxbridge process, but it is to be found in the lack of independent scrutiny and public accountability in the admissions process not in whether Oxbridge has spent enough on outreach.
Oh for goodness sakes!

Do students need to be spoonfed every single morsel? Why can't these 'people from disadvantaged backgrounds' show a bit of nous and look it up on the university websites for themselves? And if they can't find the answer then send an email? Why does Oxbridge have to spend even more £millions just to save them the effort?

I am astonished that Oxbridge spends £millions and time on 'outreach' which is basically telling students the universities exist and are happy to receive applications from them. Isn't that the job of any competent secondary school teacher?

There is unfairness in the Oxbridge process, but it is to be found in the lack of independent scrutiny and public accountability in the admissions process not in whether Oxbridge has spent enough on outreach.

Many secondary school teachers are either unencouraging, or actively discouraging, students *they* incorrectly think don't fit the Oxbridge "mould". Most outreach is trying to convince those teachers to think otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many secondary school teachers are either unencouraging, or actively discouraging, students *they* incorrectly think don't fit the Oxbridge "mould". Most outreach is trying to convince those teachers to think otherwise.

And if you don't apply, no matter how fair the system, you can't get in.

(Not to mention it is teachers (not students) who have to write the reference, so having a good teacher-student relationship is important.)
(edited 6 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that were true, I think it would be a pretty dire indictment of secondary school teachers.

I don't think these teachers went into the profession to deliberately harm students: if Cambridge made it known to them that Cambridge couldn't give a damn about GCSE grades and would consider anyone with reasonable A level grades, then the teachers would pass the information on. Cambridge should just send an email to all head teachers reminding them that Cambridge doesn't give a damn about GCSE results and it's all to play for with A levels, for example. Everyone welcome. The £millions saved every year could be used for bursaries for low-income students and easing the fee burden on everybody.

They could offer free training videos to teachers in the admissions process for Oxbridge: how to write a reference etc. If Ibz Mo can cobble together free training videos in his spare time; I am sure the paid staff at Oxbridge could come up with something. They are supposed to work in the field of education after all:wink:
Original post by J-SP
Many students won’t have a good teacher-student relationship, of no fault of their own.

I agree there are injustices in the Oxbridge admissions system.

It can’t be fair, for example, that some applicants to Oxbridge - just because of who they are - get special treatment.

For example, I know 100% for sure of some prospective students who because of who they know and the schools they've attended have managed to get through their personal contacts:

Coaching from actual Oxbridge tutors on how to prepare their personal statements; UCAS form; SAQ statement and other stuff (given free:frown:)

Interview practice with actual Oxbridge tutors (!!)

Help to prepare for the admission tests (I am not joking)

Whilst all other students just have to go it alone and rely on teachers at their school. How can that be fair?:frown:

That’s the kind of thing David Lammy should be jumping up and down about.

It can’t be fair, for example, that some applicants to Oxbridge - just because of who they are - get special treatment.

For example, I know 100% for sure of some prospective students who because of who they know and the schools they've attended have managed to get through their personal contacts:

Coaching from actual Oxbridge tutors on how to prepare their personal statements; UCAS form; SAQ statement and other stuff (given free:frown:)

Whilst all other students just have to go it alone and rely on teachers at their school. How can that be fair?:frown:

^^

This is very very true. I have a family friend who got his PS written for him last year (including an SAQ statement) by some Oxbridge website. He also had 5 preparation interviews (I thought this was a bit excessive..) 2 were with Oxbridge tutors and 3 were with his school teachers who attended Oxbridge. He was also provided with 5 mock admission tests and MCQ preparation.

Then there's me, writing my PS alone guessing at the type of things they want to hear about. No interview prep except talking points through with myself and talking to one teacher who barely knows about Oxbridge. For the admissions test, I have 2 past papers available online. Probably why in my schools 50 history no-one has been accepted to Cambridge. 1 student got into Oxford 6 years ago and it's like an urban legend at my school as its so unheard of.

I'm in the dark about everything. Definitely some injustice :frown:
Btw he got in and I bet I won't.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending