The Student Room Group

Surds help

Could someone help me with this question, I know the answer and you get the answer. But I don't understand how to get the answer properly.
Question; (3+15)2(Squared)

Give your answer in the form n+m/5 where n and m are integers. Toal 4 marks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SBizzy
Could someone help me with this question, I know the answer and you get the answer. But I don't understand how to get the answer properly.

Can you put a picture of the original question please?
Reply 2
Can u post a picture of the question or clarify how u have written the question?
Reply 3
Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 4.39.49 pm.png
Original post by atsruser
Can you put a picture of the original question please?
Reply 4
Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 4.39.49 pm.png
Original post by Shaanv
Can u post a picture of the question or clarify how u have written the question?
Expand using the binomial theorem. You will be left with two numbers 3 and 15 their sum will be n. For m you are left with 2sqrt(15*3), which is sqrt(45) which is equal to sqrt(3^2*5).The root of 3^2 is 3. You are done.
P.S. 45=15*3 in case you were wondering where the 45 came from.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SBizzy

What have you tried?

Hint:
15=35\sqrt{15}=\sqrt{3}\sqrt{5}

(3+15)2=3(1+5)2\therefore (\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{15})^2=3(1+\sqrt{5})^2
Reply 7
Original post by Moriheru
Expand using the binomial theorem. You will be left with two numbers 9 and 15 their sum will be n. For m you are left with 2sqrt(15*3), which is sqrt(45) which is equal to sqrt(3^2*5).The root of 3^2 is 3. You are done.

Binomial theorum is unnecessary for this level of question.
Original post by AmmarTa
Binomial theorum is unnecessary for this level of question.

That is simply what is called multiplying out brackets(at least in this case).... I just multiplied brackets out, which I believe is also using the binomial theorem technically :biggrin: even though you don't calculate coefficients with factorials etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
That is simply what is called multiplying out brackets(at least in this case).... I just multiplied brackets out, which I believe is also using the binomial theorem technically :biggrin: even though you don't calculate coefficients with factorials etc.

Technically but this is a GCSE level question (I assume) so I wouldn't try to over complicate the maths and make it harder for the OP to understand :P
Original post by AmmarTa
Technically but this is a GCSE level question (I assume) so I wouldn't try to over complicate the maths and make it harder for the OP to understand :P

Yes ofc :biggrin: I just seriously thought that using the binomial theorem is what you called the simple procedure...
Reply 11
Original post by Kambu
This is how i expect they want you to do it. Multiply out the brackets and realise that root 45 can be broken down into two seperate roots... one of which is root 9...which is just 3. So it all works out nicely :smile:

working out.png

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 12
Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 7.31.14 pm.png
Expand using the binomial theorem. You will be left with two numbers 3 and 15 their sum will be n. For m you are left with 2sqrt(15*3), which is sqrt(45) which is equal to sqrt(3^2*5).The root of 3^2 is 3. You are done.

Binomial isn't needed for this question. You would be overcomplicating the problem too much.

Original post by Kambu
This is how i expect they want you to do it. Multiply out the brackets and realise that root 45 can be broken down into two seperate roots... one of which is root 9...which is just 3. So it all works out nicely :smile:

You aren't meant to post the entire answers. Please read the rules. You are meant to guide them step by step.
Original post by SBizzy

(a+b)2=(a+b)(a+b)=a2+2ab+b2 (a+b)^2 = (a+b)(a+b) = a^2+2ab+b^2 by distributing.

This is something you should remember; squaring a bracket with two terms results in the the first term squared + 2 times the product of the terms + the other term squared.
Original post by SBizzy

What would you do to rationalise this?

Take this example. If I have
Unparseable latex formula:

\frac 2\sqrt 2

I would multiply it by 22\frac{\sqrt2}{\sqrt{2}} to get 222\frac{2\sqrt2}{2} which simplifies to 2\sqrt 2
Original post by SBizzy

You would use difference of two squares for the numerator:

(a+b)(a-b) = a^2 - b^2

You can substitute the numbers into a and b and simplify like I have done above.

Then you can rationalise the denominator by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the square root of 31, and simplifying the fraction if possible. :smile:
Reply 17
Surds are so annoying, could someone help with this question. show that (3-/12)2 = 21 - 12/3
Original post by SBizzy
Surds are so annoying, could someone help with this question. show that (3-/12)2 = 21 - 12/3

Er... not sure what that thing is supposed to mean... please make it clearer!
Original post by SBizzy

1. What did you think of the help provided to your previous surds question? Did you complete it in the end? Is there anything you can learn from it?

2. Your question seems to be missing the surds.

3. Where is your attempt at this question? It is fine to be completely stumped but to say nothing at all with no working is not.

Quick Reply

Latest