The Student Room Group

any a level regrets/advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fonzworth
How did he do at A-Level Physics without Maths?

He's doing it now rn and its alright, they haven't done anything he hasn't been able to do
Original post by Zoe Lea
He's doing it now rn and its alright, they haven't done anything he hasn't been able to do

I’m doing Physics without Maths at A-Level. I’m not struggling but I worry that I may suddenly decide to do Physics at uni
Original post by anakarinas
what was the worst part? was it boring or was it just really difficult? :////

It was just difficult, i found that it was more english than maths :facepalm: :cry: I wouldnt necessarily say that it was boring though
What where your other options? Why did you take Physics?

Maths
F.maths
I chose Physics because I thought I'd be maths but it clearly wasnt and struggled
Original post by Lychee627
Maths
F.maths
I chose Physics because I thought I'd be maths but it clearly wasnt and struggled

Lucky I didn’t choose Physics for the maths side then :tongue:
Lucky I didn’t choose Physics for the maths side then :tongue:

Im happy for you too :five:
I did Maths, Biology and Psychology for A Level and Chemistry to AS Level.

I'm assuming you have thought about what you want to do after you finish school, so I'll just let you know what I thought of them in case having another opinion helps :biggrin:

Maths: I've always been good at Maths and I found it pretty easy. Some of it can be quite tricky when you first look at it, but as long as you take the time to look over what you're doing it's fine. My tip would be to keep on looking at the questions until you actually understand the answer. It's easy to try a question, see your answer is wrong and correct it by just writing the right answer - don't do this! Make sure you know why your answer is wrong and the rest of it will be simple. Once you understand how an equation works all you have to do is put the new numbers in :smile:

Biology: I loved Biology and did it at university. There is a lot of content - especially now you have to remember two years worth of content. I did my A Levels when it was still modular so I only had six months to remember at a time and I don't think I would have liked Biology half as much if I had to do it like you do now. I didn't find it hard, but remembering everything (especially the stuff you don't like) can be hard. Unless you love it, need it for university or have an incredible memory then I wouldn't recommend taking Biology.

Psychology: I really hated Psychology and I wish I had carried on with Chemistry instead - although I may be slightly biased because in Year 13 my school messed up timetables and I ended up having to take Psychology as a night class (and picking up another AS in Year 13 because my school no longer counted me as a student in full time eduction - but anyway, rant over :colondollar:). There is a lot to remember with Psychology, but I wasn't interested in any of it so I really had to force myself to do the work (look it up what you study before decide to make sure you're interested in it). As with Biology, unless you love it, need it for university or have an incredible memory then I wouldn't recommend it.

Chemistry: I found Chemistry the hardest of the subjects, which I why I chose to drop it after Year 12. I got an A* in Chemistry at GCSE and I found it easy enough then, but there is a big jump to A Level Chemistry (the first thing we were told was everything we learnt up to that point was wrong!). If you understand the concepts then you'll be fine, they just didn't come naturally to me so I really had to work at understanding and remembering it.

Hope this helps! Good luck with whatever you chose :biggrin:
Original post by Zoe Lea
I dropped English Lit at the start of year 12 and its the best decision I made, mainly because I didn't need it for my job but ALSO because of the hundreds of essays that have to be written to high standards and with complex english. Bio is awesome but theres a lot to learn so I advise revising everday for that. Psychology is so interesting! And Chem is alright so far however it gets harder in year 13. Hope this helps x

Im taking these exact subjects. How was Chem in year 13?

Quick Reply

Latest