The Student Room Group

Written work length

The limit for written work is 2,000 words - anyone know whether work of, say, 700 words would be acceptable?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by archipelaglobule
The limit for written work is 2,000 words - anyone know whether work of, say, 700 words would be acceptable?

None of my subjects involve writing in English but I've got a 700 word A2 French essay which I could translate into English.

1) Would I need to extend this? I'm applying for Oriental Studies.

2) If I were to extend this, would I still need to provide the translation? I would be extending the essay in English, but it relates to an topic I've mentioned in my Personal Statement as part of my schoolwork for French.

For both of my degrees, when we were given a word limit, the general rule was 10% either way (so in your case, 1,800-2,200 would have been acceptable). If they've specified 2,000 as an absolute upper limit, I'd say don't go over it just to be on the safe side, but I'd still be aiming for ~1,800.

As for which language to write in - I'd imagine your tutors would want to read it in English given that you're not applying for French, but I would email the admissions people at whichever college you've applied to, to make sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending