The Student Room Group

GYG 2017-2018 Welcome!

Poll

What would you like to read?

I've always believed that the best way to make any improvement is accountability. Whether this be in regards to breaking a habit, reading more or improving grades. And despite being fairly new to this website, I think I'll add my twopence to the mixture of GYGs 2017.

So, I'm currently studying 9 IGCSE subjects and 2 GCSE subjects along with the Additional Maths freestanding qualification. To be honest, I think it'll a journey and I hope that it will be a rollercoaster of emotions (because honestly, I think we all love to romanticise our life as if we are within a movie).

This is very short, but I guess its a great way to FORGET about the hefty to-do list that half term inevitably brings, along with the freedom to wakeup whenever and... (I was going to say go out with friends but it's wayyy too cold for that one)... have nice food!

Any special requests for blog posts would be more than welcome. But otherwise, I'll simply keep going with my GCSEs and update you whenever I find something worth spreading. You know, I've stopped posting things on social media unless its either funny or beneficial for people to see. Gone are the days of pictures of my breakfast or a selfie.... authenticity is what we need!

So, I'm going to the gym now, and I'm dreading it. I signed up for a free fitness class ("free" being the word that made me go and "fitness" being the reason I'm dreading it). My eating habits of late are sure to surface in half an hour when the wonderful Dillon shouts to make me run faster while "estaré a la cola del pelotón" - a wonderful idiomatic expression I learnt in Spanish which translates to "I will be that person at the back of the slowest group". Something tells me that it'll be a piece of vocabulary which will prove to be very accurate and relatable today.

We'll see!
<3
hey! good luck with your journey
im totally that person at a gym class...i mean i dont think i've ever acc been to one
Reply 2
I'm currently waiting for the session to start, and I'm already back <3

I'll declare it now...this will be my journey towards 11 A*s and 9s. I intend on sticking to anything that I declare. And this will be a wonderful method..... so currently the problems are:
History
English
Computer Science
But it'll be transformed. Mocks are coming and I fully intend on receiving 9s and A* predictions. If this is not the case, then the determination and work levels will be stepped up. I've been watching Ibz Mo on youtube (if you don't watch him then I've truly blessed you in this recommendation) and his slogan of "work, werk, werq" will be my password on my laptop, phone, iPod from y6, everything!! They say that a wonderful way of getting motivated is to remind yourself of your goals, and the best way of doing this is typing it out regularly i.e. through a password.

I want to write long lengthy blog posts with plenty of information and thoughts. But I've looked at other blogs and it seems that the best ones are always full of almost hyperbolic energy, jazzy colours and short statements etc. I'm here to write, I'll ask my mother to read it if no one else wants to (because sometimes your family is the only one you got lol).

But its 19.29.... gym time... ciao
Original post by hannah429
I want to write long lengthy blog posts with plenty of information and thoughts. But I've looked at other blogs and it seems that the best ones are always full of almost hyperbolic energy, jazzy colours and short statements etc. I'm here to write, I'll ask my mother to read it if no one else wants to (because sometimes your family is the only one you got lol).

It doesn't matter what others are doing. Your GYG blog is about your grades, so write in the way that will best benefit you and your progress. Many of my blog posts were like essays last year with very few readers and I ended up winning the competition. So you do you. :smile:

Also can I just say you write splendidly. Best of luck with your studies. :h:
Reply 4
Original post by sinfonietta
It doesn't matter what others are doing. Your GYG blog is about your grades, so write in the way that will best benefit you and your progress. Many of my blog posts were like essays last year with very few readers and I ended up winning the competition. So you do you. :smile:

Also can I just say you write splendidly. Best of luck with your studies. :h:

thank youuu, that's truly such a complement. I'm glad you like my style of writing.

I shall definitely try and check out your blog from last year, I'm sure it'll be inspiring!
Also, well done for winning!
Reply 5
Original post by mez_merising
hey! good luck with your journey
im totally that person at a gym class...i mean i dont think i've ever acc been to one

I'm going again tomorrow! It seemed that yesterday was simply an introduction session. It was rather stressful, but somehow reassuring at the same time. Sign up for a class! It's only one hour, and worst case scenario it's just a funny story to have. :smile:
Reply 6
Perhaps I am somewhat dramatic, but it's the 26th October and it seems that the half term is almost over. Have I achieved my goals? No, and I cannot even justify this.

I am yet to brush my teeth, write a ToDo list and get ready for the day.... but as I write this, the clock says 12:11pm, which is a rather disheartening time to see.

On the other hand, I had a wonderful rest, apprentice was really good last night and I have no regrets in regards to staying up late....But I am determined to do the following today:

Create a history quizlet on the Cold War

Read part1 of "Things Fall Apart" and learn some quotations

Make maths notes

EXTRAS:
- Create a quizlet of Computer Science notes
- Review some latin grammar

It will happen, I declare it now:smile:

There'll be an update later on how productive I was and also some photographs, unless my phone dies (which would actually be a blessing because all that "mon portable" brings is procrastination.

ooh, fun fact: pro is the latin word for through, and cras is the latin word for tomorrow. so procrastination actually is when you put something off through till tomorrow!

I cannot lie, I am actually low key such a study nerd, let me think of another interesting latin fact...... (I guess this is kind of revision too, hmm, maybe...??hopefully...!!)

On his death bed, Virgil announced that he did not want to publish the Aeneid (probably because he was such a perfectionist and hadn't yet perfected it all) but, because the Emperor Augustus thought it was too good to be burnt, he overruled Virgil's dying wish.
Reply 7
Okay, I didn't succeed in doing it....

Oh well, tomorrow will be another day.

But the real reason I am here is because of confusion as to what I will do with my life. The time of year for deciding 6th form choices has approached. I thought that I was sorted, but I hate to have an overdramatic sentence, but: a phone call has changed it all.

Medicine is the new route I find myself walking down. Apparently PPE at Oxford isn't challenging enough, and *racism* is a massive problem.

And the dilemma is thus: is racism an obstacle that I should overcome, or is this ideology simply naive?
Please give me some thoughts, I've been told that humanity subjects and business isn't the place for the black woman. Racism is real, but overlooked (sadly) by me until recently because of the privilege I have had. But having researched my roots more and more, its existence has become increasingly apparent.

I need to talk to a black person about this. So please, any black economists out there? Any black doctors out there? Are the obstacles really something to put me off.

Please Help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending