The Student Room Group

Mathsgenie accurate??

Is maths genies topics that are arranged in certain grades accurate? Is anyone using mathsgenie as a helping revision guide for the new 9-1 mathematics GCSE???
Reply 1
Are the topics arranged in grades on mathsgenie For GCSE accurate/correct for the new style (9-1) Is it good to use??
yup, I used mathsgenie last year for 9-1 maths, the questions on there were useful for solidifying my knowledge and ensuring I understood the topic, so yes I would say they were very accurate indeed. However, make sure you don't wholly rely on it but you also do past paper questions as well as practice questions! :gthumb:
Reply 3
Original post by Deliciate
yup, I used mathsgenie last year for 9-1 maths, the questions on there were useful for solidifying my knowledge and ensuring I understood the topic, so yes I would say they were very accurate indeed. However, make sure you don't wholly rely on it but you also do past paper questions as well as practice questions! :gthumb:

Thanks so much! May I ask whether u did foundation or Higher? If u did do higher.... what grade questions came up a lot?
I did higher edexcel maths and got an 8. for my exam board I remember a lot of questions about probability, algebra, triangles, circles. that being said, they basically covered all of the grade 7,8 and 9 topics and i'd say that the grade 1-4 stuff didn't come up as much, however the skills needed in the grade 1-4 topics were required to access the higher questions. I think its good to practice the grade 8/9 topics, but dont think that youll automatically get an 8 or 9 after practicing these as you might make silly mistakes on the easier topics. i'd recommend doing a practice paper and then highlighting the topics you lost marks on then practising these topics on maths genie.
Reply 5
Is mathsgenie a good revision tool for higher edexcel students for the new 9-1 GCSE?
Reply 6
Is it possible to get a 6 Grade or even a 5 in maths while using Mathsgenie as a revision tool?
Original post by Maro122
Is it possible to get a 6 Grade or even a 5 in maths while using Mathsgenie as a revision tool?

I would first go through all the basics starting from grade 3. If you get full marks carry on. If u are stuck watch the video. Every week do at least one past paper. With that you have an extremely good chance- good luck!!
Reply 8
Original post by Maro122
Is maths genies topics that are arranged in certain grades accurate? Is anyone using mathsgenie as a helping revision guide for the new 9-1 mathematics GCSE???

It is mostly very accurate. I have only spotted 2 mistakes on there before which is good in comparison to mast websites, especially considering the solutions are hand written which makes them easier to understand. However I would combine Maths Genie with other websites, revision books or videos to give a deeper understanding, especially for the grade 8/9 questions.
Reply 9
Original post by Loci Pi
It is mostly very accurate. I have only spotted 2 mistakes on there before which is good in comparison to mast websites, especially considering the solutions are hand written which makes them easier to understand. However I would combine Maths Genie with other websites, revision books or videos to give a deeper understanding, especially for the grade 8/9 questions.

If I am aiming for a 5 is mathsgenie enough for a revision tool?
Original post by Maro122
If I am aiming for a 5 is mathsgenie enough for a revision tool?

It seems like the topics match the grades quite well, but I would still use a foundation / higher revision guide (depending on which paper you are doing) to practise the problem solving type questions where you might have to combine topics to solve a question.
Simply yes. It has great content and gives a huge range of questions which you can do. I personally did almost all questions on there during my preparation and can't say how much it helped me.
Reply 12
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Simply yes. It has great content and gives a huge range of questions which you can do. I personally did almost all questions on there during my preparation and can't say how much it helped me.

Thanks for your feedback did u do the new GCSE ?
Original post by Maro122
Thanks for your feedback did u do the new GCSE ?

Yes, I sat the exam this year in june and got a 9 :wink:
Reply 14
Do you think if I'm aiming for a 5 or even a 6 in mathematics, mathsgenie is accurate and a good revision tool? Has anyone had experience or passed the exam using mathsgenie?
Any feedback would be very helpful.
Why on earth would you aim for a 5 or a 6, do you want to set yourself up for a mediocre life? Aim for an 8 or a 9. And use a CGP revision guide from your chosen specification to do revision. Read it, go over every aspect to make sure you understand it, and then do all the questions.

I got a 9 off doing revision the night before which I REALLY regret doing. The raw mark for a 9 this year was 79%, it not hard to do.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Has anyone got a good grade e.g 6 or 7 using mathsgenie?
Is mathsgenie good for foundation paper
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mryal12312
Is mathsgenie good for foundation paper

If you revise all of the topics then yes it is a good resource for H/F, however I do recommend looking at the spec for topics on the papers.
AQA - https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/mathematics/specifications/AQA-8300-SP-2015.PDF
EDEXCEL - https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/gcse-maths-2015-specification.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest