The Student Room Group

Anyone else start uni at 26+?

Im going to be 26 (almost 27) when I hopefully start uni next year. I've just finished my access course. I will be staying at halls. Incredibly apprehensive but also wildly excited. I do fear about the social element however as most my peers will be a bit younger.

What are other people's experiences? Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Finishing my Undergraduate degree in 2018 at 70. No one cares how old you are. You will love it. X
Reply 2
I'll be 29 when I start next year... Not sure staying in halls is very wise at that age
I started at 27 and stayed in halls. Try and get into the postgrad accommodation if you can, your flatmates should then hopefully be house trained.
I think I am the second oldest on my course of over 300ish.

There is a pretty obvious difference between the more mature students and the students that have come straight from school, but it doesn't bother me as my main goal is to do the best I can academically; all other issues are peripheral.

My experience thus far is that I love being at uni - loads of new ideas and concepts, being intellectually challenged and stimulated, a ridiculous amount of places to go, things to do, and so many new people you meet.

As Seamus123 said, you will love it.
Reply 5
Cheers guys. Yeah I'll definitely request to be put in with people around my age but we'll see.

Trying to change my life around and further my skillset and knowledge is why I'm going. The social element is still very important to me however :smile:
Original post by Seamus123
Finishing my Undergraduate degree in 2018 at 70. No one cares how old you are. You will love it. X

That's fantastic. Well done.
Original post by Hijikata
Im going to be 26 (almost 27) when I hopefully start uni next year. I've just finished my access course. I will be staying at halls. Incredibly apprehensive but also wildly excited. I do fear about the social element however as most my peers will be a bit younger.

What are other people's experiences? Cheers.

Take a look at the societies and sports clubs at your uni. I found that was the best way to make friends outside my course, and if you're talking about a shared interest or doing an activity that you enjoy then that's what they'll be focusing on.

In my experience if you don't make a huge deal about how ***old*** you are then no one really cares :smile:
I'm starting my distance learning degree at age 22. I'll be about 27 when I finish.
I started my Top up BSc by distance learning at 31. I'll be 33 when I finish. There are others on my degree programme who are in their 40s and 50s.
I’m on an Access course at the moment and hope to go to uni in September. I turn 40 in June 👍🏼
Oh, and my mum has just finished her Masters. She’s 64
When it comes to studying at University level age is definitely not important anymore!

I've seen people of all ages at all levels studying and enjoying themselves :smile:
I'm 26 and in my first year AND staying in halls (BIG mistake!). So many drunk inconsiderate people. If I could change I'd have gone private now, just purely for the noise levels outside. Everyone getting wasted every night and smokers downstairs making a noise at 3am. Fortunately the person I share with is a mature student and we get on. I've spoken to a lot of mature students, only a few are staying in uni accommodation though.
Apart from the issue with the noise at my accom the social aspect has been good, I've met plenty of younger and mature students. :smile: there is also a mature students society at our uni, although I will be giving that a miss, it's a good option.
Original post by MissDetermined
I'm 26 and in my first year AND staying in halls (BIG mistake!). So many drunk inconsiderate people. If I could change I'd have gone private now, just purely for the noise levels outside. Everyone getting wasted every night and smokers downstairs making a noise at 3am. Fortunately the person I share with is a mature student and we get on. I've spoken to a lot of mature students, only a few are staying in uni accommodation though.

Oh God I hope you've just gotten unlucky with your halls because I'm considering staying in those myself next year. Might start looking at private accom instead now.
Reply 16
hello I'm going to be 27 when my course is meant to start. I'm not too sure wether to stay in halls or not. I really want the social aspect and to make lots of new friends but equally wouldn't enjoy partying constantly and having no rest lol. what uni are you looking to apply to? I'm looking at herts.
Original post by SLUCK27
hello I'm going to be 27 when my course is meant to start. I'm not too sure wether to stay in halls or not. I really want the social aspect and to make lots of new friends but equally wouldn't enjoy partying constantly and having no rest lol. what uni are you looking to apply to? I'm looking at herts.

Salford or Coventry here. Maybe some others will grab my attention too.

What are you planning on studying?
Reply 18
I'm looking at doing a foundation degree in animal managment. How about you?
28 second year here! I couldn't stand to live in halls, mind (though I would have had I chose another uni). I commute, and love being able to hang up uni at the door so to speak. The social aspect isn't my priority but I talk to some people in seminars/lectures. I don't do socials though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending