The Student Room Group

My Journey To University!

So this is my first blog post! Well actually it isn't. It's my first on The Student Room
but I actually have a blog that I've been posting on for over a year now and its
www.chellebelle2016.blogspot.com

I talk a lot about sixth form and other things but I thought I'd give this a go too since it is all dedicated to education, which is pretty much my life at the moment. Hopefully you guys like it. I feel like this is going to be a lot of fun actually.

So I've been back at sixth form since September 11th (which was actually my 18th Birthday- Great present, I know) and it has been MANIC. I knew it would be a lot of work, but I didn't expect it to be this much so early on. I've had deadlines after deadlines thrown at me literally from day one.From cousework to EPQ, from Personal Statement to UCAS etc. The lot. It has definitely kept me busy, that is for sure.

I'm a super hard worker. I'm someone who always puts in 100%. I'm not naturally super intelligent, so I have to work hard for my grades.

AS results day was definitely a disappointing one. I didn't get what I wanted in the slightest but I had been doing so well all year and studied incredibly hard for every subject. I want to study English Language at University (fingers crossed) so I worked really hard for Engish in particular. I got a B at AS which is pretty good but I kind of wanted that A, you know?

History is the one subject of my 3 that I struggled most with last year. I was getting C's all year but really wanted a B in my exam if I could and ended up with an E. I was literally heartbroken when I saw the paper. I was 2 marks from a D but that didn't make me feel any better about it. Luckily my English teacher (who I love) reminded me that my History is new spec so it doesn't even count. She reassured me and encouraged me not to get upset by it and work as hard as I can to bring it up this year.

I wasn't too happy with my Government and Politics grade either. I had been getting C's and a few B's all year but came out with a D (again, 2 marks from the C grade). I've decided to resit one of the AS papers alongside my A2 exam papers this year. I'm praying the hard work pays off!

In order to get into my first choice university I need BBB.

I hope you guys will follow me during this process. It is going to be a lot of hard work but I'm prepared to put everything I can into it.
Let the journey begin.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Chelle1304
So this is my first blog post! Well actually it isn't. It's my first on The Student Room
but I actually have a blog that I've been posting on for over a year now and its

I talk a lot about sixth form and other things but I thought I'd give this a go too since it is all dedicated to education, which is pretty much my life at the moment. Hopefully you guys like it. I feel like this is going to be a lot of fun actually.

So I've been back at sixth form since September 11th (which was actually my 18th Birthday- Great present, I know) and it has been MANIC. I knew it would be a lot of work, but I didn't expect it to be this much so early on. I've had deadlines after deadlines thrown at me literally from day one.From coursework to EPQ, from Personal Statement to UCAS etc. The lot. It has definitely kept me busy, that is for sure.

I'm a super hard worker. I'm someone who always puts in 100%. I'm not naturally super intelligent, so I have to work hard for my grades.

AS results day was definitely a disappointing one. I didn't get what I wanted in the slightest but I had been doing so well all year and studied incredibly hard for every subject. I want to study English Language at University (fingers crossed) so I worked really hard for English in particular. I got a B at AS which is pretty good but I kind of wanted that A, you know?

History is the one subject of my 3 that I struggled most with last year. I was getting C's all year but really wanted a B in my exam if I could and ended up with an E. I was literally heartbroken when I saw the paper. I was 2 marks from a D but that didn't make me feel any better about it. Luckily my English teacher (who I love) reminded me that my History is new spec so it doesn't even count. She reassured me and encouraged me not to get upset by it and work as hard as I can to bring it up this year.

I wasn't too happy with my Government and Politics grade either. I had been getting C's and a few B's all year but came out with a D (again, 2 marks from the C grade). I've decided to resit one of the AS papers alongside my A2 exam papers this year. I'm praying the hard work pays off!

I hope you guys will follow me during this process. It is going to be a lot of hard work but I'm prepared to put everything I can into it.
Let the journey begin.

Hi chelle

I dont normally read blogs, but it makes a change that the grades you want are in the normal range. I like how you work hard, but that may not be enough.
In light of what you wrote, then you need to work both hard, but also smart.

You talk about deadlines and this year hitting you hard. Id suggest you are going to have to work even harder plus get organised.

Here are a few tips. Im assuming you are year 13.

1. Get a planner and start filing in the dates with deadlines. You will also want to fix an idea when revision proper will start.

2. You need to make good notes now.

3. Anything you dont understand you need to tackle now, so you have no weaknesses.

4. Buy some revision books and consider what online websites are out there to help you.

5. Make a list of other tasks such as identifying exam papers and marking guides, then collect and read the mark schemes so you know what they look for.

6. Familiarise yourself with the exam format for each exam..

7. At some stage you can either make revision notes from your exams or mind map or work out the best way to revise.

8.By the beginning of December would start doing essays. You can use your books and unlimited time to begin with but eventually you need to cut both..

9. The two most important things for essay subjects are knowing your material and then being proficient at answering the question.

10. If you are an E at History then this needs priority. It will need to follow the plan of:
I) Get the basic facts right.- It requires good notes
II) Answer the basic question- It requires and understanding and practice.
III)Add historical perspective- requires more reading.
Iv) Answer the question with more insight.- Exam practice.
V) Add more of all the above plus originality.

For a B you probably only need to get to III.

You can improve in all your exams, but you must start now if you are going to turn it into BBB or better. Hopefully this time next year you will be at uni having met your target. remind yourself why you are doing it and commit the time to make it work.

Good luck. Your target is achievable.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Hi chelle

I dont normally read blogs, but it makes a change that the grades you want are in the normal range. I like how you work hard, but that may not be enough.
In light of what you wrote, then you need to work both hard, but also smart.

You talk about deadlines and this year hitting you hard. Id suggest you are going to have to work even harder plus get organised.

Here are a few tips. Im assuming you are year 13.

1. Get a planner and start filing in the dates with deadlines. You will also want to fix an idea when revision proper will start.

2. You need to make good notes now.

3. Anything you dont understand you need to tackle now, so you have no weaknesses.

4. Buy some revision books and consider what online websites are out there to help you.

5. Make a list of other tasks such as identifying exam papers and marking guides, then collect and read the mark schemes so you know what they look for.

6. Familiarise yourself with the exam format for each exam..

7. At some stage you can either make revision notes from your exams or mind map or work out the best way to revise.

8.By the beginning of December would start doing essays. You can use your books and unlimited time to begin with but eventually you need to cut both..

9. The two most important things for essay subjects are knowing your material and then being proficient at answering the question.

10. If you are an E at History then this needs priority. It will need to follow the plan of:
I) Get the basic facts right.- It requires good notes
II) Answer the basic question- It requires and understanding and practice.
III)Add historical perspective- requires more reading.
Iv) Answer the question with more insight.- Exam practice.
V) Add more of all the above plus originality.

For a B you probably only need to get to III.

You can improve in all your exams, but you must start now if you are going to turn it into BBB or better. Hopefully this time next year you will be at uni having met your target. remind yourself why you are doing it and commit the time to make it work.

Good luck. Your target is achievable.

Thank You for your comment! Really appreciate the advice. I've already started most of these things. I made sure to download the spec for every subject and I have all my binders for each subject, divided.by modules/topics. Every night I write a to-list for the following day and I've met every deadline so far. Its going pretty well and I think my teachers are noticing my effort. I stay back after sixth form for about 2 hours, three times a week to ask teachers qustions or do further reading. At the moment things are going to plan and I've already made my To-Do List for this half term. Hope you stick around :tongue:

So I've been back at sixth form since September 11th (which was actually my 18th Birthday- Great present, I know) and it has been MANIC. I knew it would be a lot of work, but I didn't expect it to be this much so early on. I've had deadlines after deadlines thrown at me literally from day one.From cousework to EPQ, from Personal Statement to UCAS etc. The lot. It has definitely kept me busy, that is for sure.

AS results day was definitely a disappointing one. I didn't get what I wanted in the slightest but I had been doing so well all year and studied incredibly hard for every subject. I want to study English Language at University (fingers crossed) so I worked really hard for Engish in particular. I got a B at AS which is pretty good but I kind of wanted that A, you know?

Let the journey begin.

Good luck this year! I'll be following along :yep: I really hope you get the grades you need :heart:
Good Luck Chelle !
Reply 5
Original post by Fox Corner
Good luck this year! I'll be following along :yep: I really hope you get the grades you need :heart:

Thank You!
Reply 6
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Good Luck Chelle !

Thanks😀
Thanks😀

No worries , mind checking out my blog https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4998046 :smile:
Reply 8

Let the journey begin.

Nice
Good Luck! :smile:))
Reply 10
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
No worries , mind checking out my blog https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4998046 :smile:

Sure!
Reply 11
Original post by EmilySarah00
Good Luck! :smile:))

Thank You! Appreciated :biggrin:
Sure!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending