The Student Room Group

Do universities really care about my 'TRANSCRIPTS'???

My Maths teacher has been annoying me by using that word all the time. Hardly does anyone in our school apply to the UK so she thinks that the UK uses the US system of submitting school internal grades from Year 9-13. How do I explain to her that my mock grades are useless when applying to the UK. I have already told her once but she still doesn't agree.
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
My Maths teacher has been annoying me by using that word all the time. Hardly does anyone in our school apply to the UK so she thinks that the UK uses the US system of submitting school internal grades from Year 9-13. How do I explain to her that my mock grades are useless when applying to the UK. I have already told her once but she still doesn't agree.

As you know, your GPA isn't part of the UCAS application. Some universities may have an offer condition on it (Manchester did for my son, but it was only a 3.0 GPA for his last year and a C in English).

You can only explain again that UK universities only really care about external examination results - typically APs and ACT / SATs. School grades are not standardised, so are not used.

The only thing that is required from your school is a reference that includes prediced grades for the relevant external exams.
(edited 6 years ago)
Perhaps you could send them links to the entry requirements for each course that you're applying to do. That should show the qualifications that they're interested in.
Original post by RogerOxon
Perhaps you could send them links to the entry requirements for each course that you're applying to do. That should show the qualifications that they're interested in.

Thanks! I did show her, but still...
Thanks! I did show her, but still...

You wouldn't have thought that it was that hard to understand that different countries do things differently. It must be somewhat frustrating.

Perhaps you could email an admissions tutor at one of your choices, asking if they can confirm that they don't want your transcript?
Original post by RogerOxon
You wouldn't have thought that it was that hard to understand that different countries do things differently. It must be somewhat frustrating.

Perhaps you could email an admissions tutor at one of your choices, asking if they can confirm that they don't want your transcript?

It wouldn't surprise me if the admission tutor responds that the teacher should include the information in the reference. Many overseas teachers with no experience of writing references are incapable of saying anything meaningful and some objective data in the form of test scores may be the best information a university is going to get.
Original post by nulli tertius
It wouldn't surprise me if the admission tutor responds that the teacher should include the information in the reference. Many overseas teachers with no experience of writing references are incapable of saying anything meaningful and some objective data in the form of test scores may be the best information a university is going to get.

Yeahh but my internal exams always go rubbishhh. I only do well in the standardized ones. For example in my iGCSEs, i never got above a D in physics, but in my external ones I got an A!!!! And I was even 2 marks off an A*. So I don't think these exams are a good means of showing your capability.
Yeahh but my internal exams always go rubbishhh. I only do well in the standardized ones. For example in my iGCSEs, i never got above a D in physics, but in my external ones I got an A!!!! And I was even 2 marks off an A*. So I don't think these exams are a good means of showing your capability.

Your external ones will be on the form, and the internal ones maybe in the reference

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending