The Student Room Group

Relocation outside London for job, but travel ???

Hi:smile:,

I've grown up in London for all my life pretty much, but tbh relocation outside London (Birmingham or Basingstoke(it's in Hampshire)) seems to be absolutely necessary for me by the looks of things, in terms of securing my dream job. Just the commute/public transport side of things I'm trying to get my head around really (and I don't have a car/driving license nor intend to get it)

I know that to travel from London to, say Birmingham, I'd just use the Railways to make it there. Makes sense and is v much doable. No Bus need too, for the interview/Assessment Day.

Suppose I got the job offer for the firm at their Birmingham office (the preferred office location I put down actually). According to Google Maps, there are no Train stations in Birmingham (as opposed to TfL train stations here, in London), but bus stations I can certainly see exist there, so I presume I'd commute to Work daily by bus, which sounds doable, never mind slightly crowded by the sound of it.

But, what's the equivalent of the TfL Oyster card that I currently use for buses here, in London, for Birmingham's busses ??? :confused::confused::confused::confused: What about more generally for buses outside London, like those in Basingstoke, Hampshire? Any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: I rang TfL up and asked if my Oyster card would work for the busses outside of London, like those in Birmingham, but she goes it wouldn't:frown::s-smilie::confused:, which isn't really a surprise though since TfL means Transport for LONDON...
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could get a 16-25 rail card where you save a 1/3 of the fair. Check it out.
Original post by H.a.hx

OK cool. thanks for that.

Any idea what's the Birmingham (or ANY other outside-of-London place in UK, e.g. Reading, Basingstoke etc) equivalent to the TfL Oyster card you get here in London, through which you can actually get onto buses? Thanks. Otherwise, I'm clueless how bus driver would accept me on board.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous370

Any idea what's the Birmingham (or ANY other outside-of-London place in UK, e.g. Reading, Basingstoke etc) equivalent to the TfL Oyster card you get here in London, through which you can actually get onto buses? Thanks. Otherwise, I'm clueless how bus driver would accept me on board.

A lot of places don't have an Oyster equivalent. You generally pay the fare when you get on the bus.

There are usually options to buy a weekly or monthly ticket if you make the journey regularly.
Original post by Juno
A lot of places don't have an Oyster equivalent. You generally pay the fare when you get on the bus.

There are usually options to buy a weekly or monthly ticket if you make the journey regularly.

Ohhh I see. Rush hr must be a bit slow to get in and board buses, right?

HOW would you go about buying a monthly bus ticket? I'd be making bus journey to and from Work every Mon-Fri...

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 5
Ohhh I see. Rush hr must be a bit slow to get in and board buses, right?

HOW would you go about buying a monthly bus ticket? I'd be making bus journey to and from Work every Mon-Fri...

Thanks! :smile:

You'd need to figure out which route you're getting, as there are different operators. And then you'd go on their website, and read how to buy the tickets there - for some you'd still buy it on the bus, but for others you'd need to buy it in advance.
Original post by Juno
You'd need to figure out which route you're getting, as there are different operators. And then you'd go on their website, and read how to buy the tickets there - for some you'd still buy it on the bus, but for others you'd need to buy it in advance.

OK, thanks. Makes sense now. I also read the following handy links.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186217-i16-k7409963-Taking_bus_outside_London_zones-England.html
https://www.neilturner.me.uk/2015/11/18/how-london-buses-differ-from-the-rest-of-the-uk.html
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/11/trains-buses-nationalised-london

Buses outside of London seem to be quite expensive, unfortunately:frown:.
Original post by H.a.hx

Does the 16-26 Rail Card apply for literally JUST Rail travel or for buses (out of London) too? Thanks

EDIT: seems to be JUST for Rail (+Tube), not for the buses. Don't think it'll be worth the £30 cost I'd have to pay for getting it. Rail travel expenses for going to interviews out of London, the firms should offer to reimburse these anyways...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Does the 16-26 Rail Card apply for literally JUST Rail travel or for buses (out of London) too? Thanks

EDIT: seems to be JUST for Rail (+Tube), not for the buses. Don't think it'll be worth the £30 cost I'd have to pay for getting it. Rail travel expenses for going to interviews out of London, the firms should offer to reimburse these anyways...

It's for rail and also applies to coaches like national express. Good luck with the interviews!
Reply 9

For bus and tram, you can get a pay-as-you-go top-up Swift Card from Network West Midlands Travel Shops.

Alternatively, you can just pay cash when you get on the bus/tram.

As well as the pay-as-you-go Swift card, you can also get a season ticket Swift card that covers the bus, tram and train in the local area.
Original post by H.a.hx
It's for rail and also applies to coaches like national express. Good luck with the interviews!

Original post by Jpnock
For bus and tram, you can get a pay-as-you-go top-up Swift Card from Network West Midlands Travel Shops.

Alternatively, you can just pay cash when you get on the bus/tram.

As well as the pay-as-you-go Swift card, you can also get a season ticket Swift card that covers the bus, tram and train in the local area.

Ok nice. Thanks. The pay-as-you-go Swift card sounds V impressive, sounds close to TfL Oyster here in London :smile:. Any idea if this PAYG Swift card exists just for Birmingham ? What about Reading ??? Thanks
Reply 12
Ok nice. Thanks. The pay-as-you-go Swift card sounds V impressive, sounds close to TfL Oyster here in London :smile:. Any idea if this PAYG Swift card exists just for Birmingham ? What about Reading ??? Thanks

The Swift card is just for the West Midlands area unfortunately.

If you know the name of the bus operator, you can check on the following link to see if they accept Swift pay-as-you-go.

Click on the operator and look under the "Multi-operator tickets and passes" section to check.
Hi:smile:,

I've grown up in London for all my life pretty much, but tbh relocation outside London (Birmingham or Basingstoke(it's in Hampshire)) seems to be absolutely necessary for me by the looks of things, in terms of securing my dream job. Just the commute/public transport side of things I'm trying to get my head around really (and I don't have a car/driving license nor intend to get it)

I know that to travel from London to, say Birmingham, I'd just use the Railways to make it there. Makes sense and is v much doable. No Bus need too, for the interview/Assessment Day.

Suppose I got the job offer for the firm at their Birmingham office (the preferred office location I put down actually). According to Google Maps, there are no Train stations in Birmingham (as opposed to TfL train stations here, in London), but bus stations I can certainly see exist there, so I presume I'd commute to Work daily by bus, which sounds doable, never mind slightly crowded by the sound of it.

But, what's the equivalent of the TfL Oyster card that I currently use for buses here, in London, for Birmingham's busses ??? :confused::confused::confused::confused: What about more generally for buses outside London, like those in Basingstoke, Hampshire? Any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: I rang TfL up and asked if my Oyster card would work for the busses outside of London, like those in Birmingham, but she goes it wouldn't:frown::s-smilie::confused:, which isn't really a surprise though since TfL means Transport for LONDON...

I live in the outskirts of Birmingham and pretty much almost every commuter here uses a Swift card operated by Network West Midlands (equivalent to Transport for London basically).
Have a look on their website for passes for Birmingham, it is always cheap getting a bus pass.
As a regular commuter in Birmingham myself I'm sure I can give you every advice there is.

Any more information needed, please quote me! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by H.a.hx

It just applies to rail. There's a separate card for National Express coaches.
Original post by Jpnock
The Swift card is just for the West Midlands area unfortunately.

If you know the name of the bus operator, you can check on the following link to see if they accept Swift pay-as-you-go.

Click on the operator and look under the "Multi-operator tickets and passes" section to check.

Thanks for that :smile:. Link didn't show up in your post actually, so would you mind posting it plz, that would be nice. Thanks
Original post by Boreism
I live in the outskirts of Birmingham and pretty much almost every commuter here uses a Swift card operated by Network West Midlands (equivalent to Transport for London basically).
Have a look on their website for passes for Birmingham, it is always cheap getting a bus pass.
As a regular commuter in Birmingham myself I'm sure I can give you every advice there is.

Any more information needed, please quote me! :smile:

Ok, good to hear. Birmingham sounds great transport-wise. Thanks:smile:

EDIT: Wow, TRANSPORT FOR West Midlands really is quite similar to TRANSPORT FOR London! Amazing! Makes Birmingham cool to relocate to from London for a job, convenient and nice. Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Thanks for that :smile:. Link didn't show up in your post actually, so would you mind posting it plz, that would be nice. Thanks

Apologies, here it is: https://journeyplanner.networkwestmidlands.com/operator
Ok, good to hear. Birmingham sounds great transport-wise. Thanks:smile:

EDIT: Wow, TRANSPORT FOR West Midlands really is quite similar to TRANSPORT FOR London! Amazing! Makes Birmingham cool to relocate to from London for a job, convenient and nice. Thanks

That's the advantage of living in the region as it covers the whole area! :biggrin:

With just one swift card pass you can get literally anywhere within the West Midlands! :woo:

Also correction in your original post - there are actually about 3 train stations in Birmingham City Centre! These are Snow Hill, Moor Street and the busiest in the region - New Street Station.

Here is a link: https://www.networkwestmidlands.com

Whereabouts in Birmingham is the office based?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Boreism
That's the advantage of living in the region as it covers the whole area! :biggrin:

Here is a link: https://www.networkwestmidlands.com

Whereabouts in Birmingham is the office based?

Actually, there is no job offer or even interview secured yet, just some consideration really, transport out of London. Job apps are in a pending state, yet to go for interviews, and quite confident I'll get interviews for roles out of London. One company I applied to for a Birmingham-based role for Sept 2018 intake is between EY and KPMG, Birmingham Snow Hill rail station is v close. Another company role is based in Reading and another is based in Basingstoke. I personally, would love to go for the Reading-based role for the short-term (as the role is just what I want and can start v soon after I'd give in notice from current job here in London), and then move over to Birmingham for my long-term career, assuming I'd get the offer. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending