The Student Room Group

Answered on a blank page for igcse, please help!

I sat for the igcse bio paper 6 and for the question where they required you to draw an enlarged drawing of the diagram, I drew it on the blank page instead of the space underneath the diagram. The question was on the left page of the booklet and there was a blank page on the right. However, I drew my drawing on the right side of the booklet which was the blank page and not the space underneath the diagram/ question on the right.

The space underneath the question was roughly only about half a page. Naturally, I thought the blank page on the right was like a space given to continue. By the time I realized my mistake, I had ran out of time to redraw. However, I did indicate the question number, f).

Will my answer still be accepted? Or will I be penalized for my mistake?
Original post by mtyt
I sat for the igcse bio paper 6 and for the question where they required you to draw an enlarged drawing of the diagram, I drew it on the blank page instead of the space underneath the diagram. The question was on the left page of the booklet and there was a blank page on the right. However, I drew my drawing on the right side of the booklet which was the blank page and not the space underneath the diagram/ question on the right.

The space underneath the question was roughly only about half a page. Naturally, I thought the blank page on the right was like a space given to continue. By the time I realized my mistake, I had ran out of time to redraw. However, I did indicate the question number, f).

Will my answer still be accepted? Or will I be penalized for my mistake?

Did it say not to draw or do any workings on the blank page?

I know on the AQA ones they put a massive cross over blank pages and instruct you not to use them.
All blank pages should have in the middle something saying "BLANK PAGE DO NOT WRITE" or a cross through it. Unfortunately most papers now are scanned using the barcode at the bottom of the page, only the pages where answers were supposed to be written. Imo, they won't see your answer.
Reply 3
Original post by 12ksmith
Did it say not to draw or do any workings on the blank page?

I know on the AQA ones they put a massive cross over blank pages and instruct you not to use them.

I checked on the front of the booklet, and no, they did not say anything about the blank pages. They only mentioned about not writing anything over the barcodes on the pages. I sat for the cambridge ones btw :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
All blank pages should have in the middle something saying "BLANK PAGE DO NOT WRITE" or a cross through it. Unfortunately most papers now are scanned using the barcode at the bottom of the page, only the pages where answers were supposed to be written. Imo, they won't see your answer.

Only "blank page" was written on bold on the top.
Original post by mtyt
Only "blank page" was written on bold on the top.

What about in the instructions on the front page of the paper? Anything there saying only write in the answer spaces provided?
Reply 6
What about in the instructions on the front page of the paper? Anything there saying only write in the answer spaces provided?

I don't remember coming across that, but I don't think so. I checked the may/ june 2017 paper 6 one and on the instructions page, there was no such instruction on writing only in the spaces provided
Original post by mtyt
I don't remember coming across that, but I don't think so. I checked the may/ june 2017 paper 6 one and on the instructions page, there was no such instruction on writing only in the spaces provided

Then it's going to be hard to know if they'll mark it or not. Imo, with all the exam boards I've used and exams I've taken, they've all not taken into account blank pages and I can't imagine why this one would be any different. It might be worth contacting them and asking if you're really worried.
Reply 8
Then it's going to be hard to know if they'll mark it or not. Imo, with all the exam boards I've used and exams I've taken, they've all not taken into account blank pages and I can't imagine why this one would be any different. It might be worth contacting them and asking if you're really worried.

Alright, thank you!
Reply 9
Found this from an IGCSE forum
Reply 10
Found this on an IGCSE forum
##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Christopher Redman (Cambridge International Examinations)

12 Apr, 14:08

Dear M. Bilal Qamar

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that any blank pages that are used by a candidate in our
examinations are scanned and marked.

Please do contact me if you require any further assistance.

Kind regards

*Customer Services Team *

Cambridge International Examinations
1 Hills Road, Cambridge, CB1 2EU, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1223 553554
Fax : +44 (0)1223 553558
E-mail: [1][email address]
[2]www.cie.org.uk

We prepare school students for life, helping them develop an informed
curiosity and a lasting passion for learning. We are part of Cambridge
Assessment, a department of the University of Cambridge.

If you are looking for answers to your questions try searching our online
service Help.
We send a monthly eNewsletter to exams officers in Cambridge International
Schools and Cambridge Associates. It is an essential resource containing
reminders, updates and additional guidance. Contact us if you are a
Cambridge Exams Officer and want to receive a copy of the eNewsletter.
Find out about our latest examiner and consultant opportunities at
[3]www.cie.org.uk/makeyourmark

M.Bilal Qamar

5 Apr, 10:04

Dear University of Cambridge,
I have a query regarding what is scanned form the students answer scripts.
A few blank pages are often provided at the end of the question/answer papers of
Islamiyat(2058) and Pakistan Studies(2059); if student continues his answer on
those sheets labelled ''BLANK PAGE'' will they be scanned, checked and marked by
the examiner?

Your reply will be very useful.

Yours faithfully,
M. Bilal Qamar

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply

Latest