The Student Room Group

Should I contact Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Ah well good luck with it. I guess it's possible for me to get an offer like that but I really hope that I don't. I just want to get a standard offer with no subject requirements. I would presume that an A* in chemistry or physics make more sense than just physics though. Guess it depends on how much they believe in me.

I mean getting an A* in maths is quite easy compared to fm, physics and chem so it would only be fair if they gave you a 4 offer considering the people who've done maths early will basically get an A*A*A*A offer. That said, it is easier to get an A* in maths when you are only doing it as levels. But yeah we have plenty of fun in store this year with 21 hours of exams ;_;.
Original post by black1blade
I mean getting an A* in maths is quite easy compared to fm, physics and chem so it would only be fair if they gave you a 4 offer considering the people who've done maths early will basically get an A*A*A*A offer. That said, it is easier to get an A* in maths when you are only doing it as levels. But yeah we have plenty of fun in store this year with 21 hours of exams ;_;.

Yeah I suppose but I guess maths being easy is why I don't want the A*s to have to be in other subjects. Surely the people doing only 3 subjects being maths, further maths and physics in year 13 have the biggest advantage then?
Yeah I suppose but I guess maths being easy is why I don't want the A*s to have to be in other subjects. Surely the people doing only 3 subjects being maths, further maths and physics in year 13 have the biggest advantage then?

Yes but they are less likely to get offers in the first place. It's v competitive apparently for people who just wanna do physics and it's not really the best combo for getting the most out of the tripos. It's probably not worth worrying about offer at this stage though as really getting the grades is the easy part in compared to getting an offer in the first place.
Yes but they are less likely to get offers in the first place. It's v competitive apparently for people who just wanna do physics and it's not really the best combo for getting the most out of the tripos. It's probably not worth worrying about offer at this stage though as really getting the grades is the easy part in compared to getting an offer in the first place.

When I visited the college I'm applying to the DoS for physics said that for physical nat. Sci applicants they look for maths, further maths and physics or maths physics and chemistry. I guess they can expect more but he gave the impression that you don't need more than four subjects.
I know that it varies from college to college though as St John's has on their website that if you do further maths and have four subjects they will likely offer A*A*AA.
Btw you're applying for physical natural sciences too right?
When I visited the college I'm applying to the DoS for physics said that for physical nat. Sci applicants they look for maths, further maths and physics or maths physics and chemistry. I guess they can expect more but he gave the impression that you don't need more than four subjects.
I know that it varies from college to college though as St John's has on their website that if you do further maths and have four subjects they will likely offer A*A*AA.
Btw you're applying for physical natural sciences too right?

Yeah it's the course best suited to my strengths because I'm a bit of a jack of all trades in maths, physics and chemistry in terms of what I'm good at. Tbh physics is probably my weakest area but that might be due to not having quite as good teachers or being in a relatively low ability class.
Yeah it's the course best suited to my strengths because I'm a bit of a jack of all trades in maths, physics and chemistry in terms of what I'm good at. Tbh physics is probably my weakest area but that might be due to not having quite as good teachers or being in a relatively low ability class.

Yeah, same I find the hardest but it's definitely the most interesting!
What other courses are you applying for?
Yeah, same I find the hardest but it's definitely the most interesting!
What other courses are you applying for?

Theoretical physics at Manchester, maths and physics warwick, theoretical physics and applied maths birmingham then not sure about last choice. Maybe somewhere local like bath, bristol or exeter. Coursewisr Durham natsci seems ace but too far away.
Theoretical physics at Manchester, maths and physics warwick, theoretical physics and applied maths birmingham then not sure about last choice. Maybe somewhere local like bath, bristol or exeter. Coursewisr Durham natsci seems ace but too far away.

ah lol you're a theoretical one. I'm upset now my college sent an email and I have to give them my AS marks for chemistry and physics. Tbh they're not great. ugh
ah lol you're a theoretical one. I'm upset now my college sent an email and I have to give them my AS marks for chemistry and physics. Tbh they're not great. ugh

What did you get and yeah sames. I got 117/140 in chem (A 89) and I got 111/160 in physics (A 86).
What did you get and yeah sames. I got 117/140 in chem (A 89) and I got 111/160 in physics (A 86).

Which college did you apply to? I think for chemistry I think I got [secret] so both lower than yours. I'd need to double check with my teachers but if it is higher it isn't by very much.
(edited 6 years ago)
Christ's.

Ah. Pretty sure they on tsr that they wouldn't ask for scores. How suspicious.
Btw can you delete the quote with my score please?
Ah. Pretty sure they on tsr that they wouldn't ask for scores. How suspicious.
Btw can you delete the quote with my score please?

Suspicious indeed. Which other courses have you applied for?
Suspicious indeed. Which other courses have you applied for?

Physics at Imperial, UCL, Wariwck and King's. Already got offers from the last two.
Physics at Imperial, UCL, Wariwck and King's. Already got offers from the last two.

Damn haven't heard from warwick yet although got an offer from birmingham.
Damn haven't heard from warwick yet although got an offer from birmingham.

A friend applying to the same universities for theoretical physics hasn't gotten a response yet from Warwick. My mentor sent an extenuating circumstances form the same day as I got the offer so possibly they went through my application quicker.
Have you got any indication of an interview from Imperial. Someone I know applying for chemical engineering said that they've already been given one.
A friend applying to the same universities for theoretical physics hasn't gotten a response yet from Warwick. My mentor sent an extenuating circumstances form the same day as I got the offer so possibly they went through my application quicker.
Have you got any indication of an interview from Imperial. Someone I know applying for chemical engineering said that they've already been given one.

Not interested in imperial tbh and if I don't get a cambridge offer I'll probably firm manchester and insure warwick either way.
Not interested in imperial tbh and if I don't get a cambridge offer I'll probably firm manchester and insure warwick either way.

oh crud that's awkward. You're applying there. Forgive me! eeee

Would you put Manchester as insurance if you don't get into there?

**** I meant if you do get into cambridge.
oh crud that's awkward. You're applying there. Forgive me! eeee

Would you put Manchester as insurance if you don't get into there?

It would be silly to insure manchester if I got a natsci offer because the manchester offer would be A*A with A* in fm or physics but cambridge offer is A*A*A so if I miss natsci offer I'll probably miss manchester. On the other hand warwick would just be AA in fm and physics so if I miss out on the A*s in physics and fm I'll still get into uni.
It would be silly to insure manchester if I got a natsci offer because the manchester offer would be A*A with A* in fm or physics but cambridge offer is A*A*A so if I miss natsci offer I'll probably miss manchester. On the other hand warwick would just be AA in fm and physics so if I miss out on the A*s in physics and fm I'll still get into uni.

Ah yeah it's the same with me for imperial. The offer is basically the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending