The Student Room Group

GCSE mathematics 9-1 possibility for a grade 6

Is it hard to get a grade 6 in mathematics edexcel GCSE? What type of questions normally come up and is mathsgenie a good revision tool?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maro122
Is it hard to get a grade 6 in mathematics edexcel GCSE? What type of questions normally come up and is mathsgenie a good revision tool?

We can't really say, it obviously depends on your ability, though it may surprise you how many marks are required for a grade 6. You will pick up recurring questions through doing past papers. Mathsgenie is pretty popular, yes, though I've never used it myself.
Maths genie is a great revision tool that I used last year, going though all the topics From grade 4 to 9 and doing questions on each of them. Last year around this time I was aiming for a 6 but I kept using maths genie and got a grade 8. Maths genie goes over everything you need to know for the exam so if you revise it all then you will definitely get a 6 but your likely to get much higher.
Reply 3
I did a breakdown of a paper the other day, we worked out that out of 100 marks in that paper you only needed to get 00% on the first 17 or so Questions to get a c
Reply 4
Original post by TheArabEconomist
Maths genie is a great revision tool that I used last year, going though all the topics From grade 4 to 9 and doing questions on each of them. Last year around this time I was aiming for a 6 but I kept using maths genie and got a grade 8. Maths genie goes over everything you need to know for the exam so if you revise it all then you will definitely get a 6 but your likely to get much higher.

Thank you so much for your feedback I will continue to use mathsgenie. Btw were the questions that came up in the exam similarly structured as they are on mathsgenie? Or did you have to work some things for yourself? I thought the questions that come up are like trick questions and what you learn on mathsgenie is just the basics to answering any question.
Original post by VirgoStrain
My god, why are people aiming for 6’s. Aim for a 9,8 or a 7. Try to think of it in terms of the old system so you can better see how nom-valuable the poorer grades are to better unis.

some people just aren't cut out for that I'm afraid. a 6 is by no means poor however. The OP may even surprise themselves.
Reply 6
My god, why are people aiming for 6’s. Aim for a 9,8 or a 7. Try to think of it in terms of the old system so you can better see how nom-valuable the poorer grades are to better unis.

I'm sorry, but people are free to choose whatever personal target they wish; for some people, a Grade 6 is seen as a really good grade to attain, regardless of what universities or other people think.

You shouldn't put others down, just because "universities won't like a 6". And it's by no means a "poor grade", it's equivalent to a high B/low A, with regards to the old grading system.

You call a 6, equivalent to a B, "poor"? How ridiculous.
Original post by thegalaxy
You call a 6, equivalent to a B, "poor"? How ridiculous.

it is ......
Reply 9
Original post by _gcx
some people just aren't cut out for that I'm afraid. a 6 is by no means poor however. The OP may even surprise themselves.

What's the Op?
Original post by Maro122
What's the Op?

original poster ie. you
Reply 11
It is. No Russell group university will consider someone with that grade a good candidate. Want to go to a good uni and get a good job? Get 7-9 grades. I’m being realistic here. You’re the one putting people down by fooling them into thinking that a grade 6 is the best they should aim for.

Aim high, and even if you don’t get that high grade you’ll come damn close. Aim low, you won’t end up with a good grade. It’s that simple.

Even Queen Mary want a grade 4
Original post by Maro122
Thank you so much for your feedback I will continue to use mathsgenie. Btw were the questions that came up in the exam similarly structured as they are on mathsgenie? Or did you have to work some things for yourself? I thought the questions that come up are like trick questions and what you learn on mathsgenie is just the basics to answering any question.

They are likely to be very similar although they could ask you to use several different topics to answer a question which may look challenging but past papers/specimen papers are likely to help avoid those challenges
It is. No Russell group university will consider someone with that grade a good candidate. Want to go to a good uni and get a good job? Get 7-9 grades. I’m being realistic here. You’re the one putting people down by fooling them into thinking that a grade 6 is the best they should aim for.

Aim high, and even if you don’t get that high grade you’ll come damn close. Aim low, you won’t end up with a good grade. It’s that simple.

University of Manchester:Applicants for all courses must normally demonstrate a broad general education including acceptable levels of literacy and numeracy, equivalent to at least grade C or 4 (applicants holding newly reformed GCSEs in England) in GCSE English Language and Mathematics.

I could find other RG unis if you really want me to that only ask for a 4/5/C in English and Maths. My sister got a C at GCSE maths and has just graduated with a First degree in History from an RG uni and A*A*A in her A levels.. So don't say RG unis won't accept the OP with a 6 because it is still a really good grade.
(edited 6 years ago)
It isn't hard plenty of people in my year got 6 and above. I got an 8. Honestly i don't know what revision sites are good. We all thought that mymaths was trash. I like sites that explain how they got to the answer. Just look for videos of complex questions. Look a level quadratic and co ordinate geometry stuff. Most of it is the same as gcse just without the diagrams.
I said no RG uni will consider someone with a 6 a GOOD candidate. My point still stands. Getting less than a 7, even an 8, will not make you uncompetitive.

So you think a 6 in GCSE maths, a really good grade automatically makes them a bad candidate, despite the fact they got A*A*A at A level?

I know I'm using my sister as an example here, but my point still stands as well.
Reply 16
Last year on edexcel grade boundaries were:
6: 96/240 = 40% (32 per paper)
7: 124/240 = 51.7% (42 per paper)
8: 157/240 = 65% (53 per paper)
9: 190/240 = 79% (64 per paper)

They must be higher for 2018 w/ actual pass papers etc. I think the general 2017 performance was piss poor as well. At 50-55% a 7 is a realistic goal for you although you might not believe it. Don't worry about the last 4-5 questions just focus on getting full marks up to q12/q13 that will guarantee you a 6.
Reply 17
Being able to do the algebraic proofs can bag you 10 marks overall. Questions will come up like: show that the sum of two consecutive numbers is always odd (4/5 marks). Any even number can be shown as 2x (2* any no. is even). An odd number can be shown as 2x+1 (even no. + 1 = odd). Then simplify 2x+1 +2x = 4x+1. Than factorise so that 2 is outside:
2(2x) + 1
^ two outside the bracket means number is even. +1 means sum is odd.
Hence proven.

Also make the effort to remember quadratic formula, cosine rule and sine,cosine and tangent values for 0,30,45,60,90 degrees.

The first few questions will usually be ratios, probability, s=d*t etc. (Check out 2017 papers)

Also remember not to confuse units:
1m*1m is not 1m squared
It is 100cm*100cm = 10000cm
Reply 18
Original post by TheArabEconomist

Hi, do you think it is possible to get a grade 5 if I just use mathsgenie and go through ALL the topics and I don't have any tutor?
Original post by Maro122
Hi, do you think it is possible to get a grade 5 if I just use mathsgenie and go through ALL the topics and I don't have any tutor?

If you watch the videos and do questions then yes definitely. The higher you aim the higher you'll likely get so try aim higher. If you need help with any questions send me a private message and I'll explain it to you.

Quick Reply

Latest