The Student Room Group

Balancing a job and A-levels? Jobs with small working hours?

I really need a job but I'm also doing 4 a levels so how can people cope with having a job in year 12 and 13?!
What jobs will have the least amount of working hours?
My friend works for 8/9 hours on a Saturday! How can she have time to study and do homework? (she is also doing 4 subjects)

Are there any types of jobs you guys can recommend?
Or just any advice?
Do a little bit of baby sitting here and there. Perhaps dog walking or animal sitting.
Reply 2
Hi :smile:
I'm in year 13 and doing 3 A levels and an EPQ (extended project) on the top. I was working 11 hours/week last year whilst doing 4 AS subjects but I soon realised at the start of this year that I needed a day off a week (I was working both the Saturday and Sunday), so I've cut down to 8 hours a week. I still find it difficult especially as I travel for about 2.5-3 hours a day, but I try to do as much as possible on the bus (mainly reading as it's hard to do anything else). I also utilise any lunch breaks and come in early when I don't have a lesson first thing. If you think that you might find it difficult to juggle maybe ask for a shift every other week and job share with a friend? Just remember that your studies come first! You don't want to be stressed all the time!
Hope this helps x
Reply 3
Original post by mbath
Hi :smile:
I'm in year 13 and doing 3 A levels and an EPQ (extended project) on the top. I was working 11 hours/week last year whilst doing 4 AS subjects but I soon realised at the start of this year that I needed a day off a week (I was working both the Saturday and Sunday), so I've cut down to 8 hours a week. I still find it difficult especially as I travel for about 2.5-3 hours a day, but I try to do as much as possible on the bus (mainly reading as it's hard to do anything else). I also utilise any lunch breaks and come in early when I don't have a lesson first thing. If you think that you might find it difficult to juggle maybe ask for a shift every other week and job share with a friend? Just remember that your studies come first! You don't want to be stressed all the time!
Hope this helps x

Thanks for the reply, if you don't mind me asking; what kind of job did you have? Was it waitressing, retail ect?
Reply 4
Original post by OwlOfFire
Do a little bit of baby sitting here and there. Perhaps dog walking or animal sitting.

The problem with babysitting ect, I don't know how I would find people who need a babysitter and why they'll pick me, I've done a basic course in first aid but thats it.
It isn't a reliable source of money
Reply 5
My ex girlfriend works at WHSmiths for 5 hours on a Saturday. Just look for a small job on a Saturday morning.
Reply 6
Original post by Amullai
My ex girlfriend works at WHSmiths for 5 hours on a Saturday. Just look for a small job on a Saturday morning.

And she got to pick those hours? It seems most places want you to work for longer and don't actually have small jobs
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!
i work 8 hours a week which i thought would be fine cos it's not that much time but you'll also be TIRED
it's more about having enough energy to revise than enough time

everyone warned me and i didn't listen and now i'm warning you..............
You could look for a Saturday job at a shop or cafe. Typically you would only work a few hours in the day time.

If you can make more time at the weekends, you could get a restaurant job waitressing, which would be a few hours in the evening. Customer tips can boost your income.

If you are finding it hard to hold down a job and you don't desperately need the money, you could look to volunteering to boost your experience. If your workload gets too busy, you can be more flexible with your hours.
Reply 9
Original post by cheesecakelove
You could look for a Saturday job at a shop or cafe. Typically you would only work a few hours in the day time.

If you can make more time at the weekends, you could get a restaurant job waitressing, which would be a few hours in the evening. Customer tips can boost your income.

If you are finding it hard to hold down a job and you don't desperately need the money, you could look to volunteering to boost your experience. If your workload gets too busy, you can be more flexible with your hours.

Thank yoy for replying, so do you think I could just walk in to a cafe or shop and ask for positions available. If its a small cafe then surely I can only ask up front and not apply online
Reply 10
Original post by Zoe Lea
Thanks for the reply, if you don't mind me asking; what kind of job did you have? Was it waitressing, retail ect?

I used to job share with a friend at a local pub, and now I work in a local supermarket on a saturday afternoon. I found that the pub was much more flexible especially during January and February when they were quieter after xmas, but the supermarket is much better paid and there's more job security
Original post by Zoe Lea
The problem with babysitting ect, I don't know how I would find people who need a babysitter and why they'll pick me, I've done a basic course in first aid but thats it.
It isn't a reliable source of money

Try asking your friends if there parents know anyone. The best way is to get a recommendation from someone else. Or perhaps look at your local garden centre, I know people who do 4 hours a week there
Original post by Zoe Lea
Thank yoy for replying, so do you think I could just walk in to a cafe or shop and ask for positions available. If its a small cafe then surely I can only ask up front and not apply online

You could ask for small cafes and shops, although some do advertise online, in the window or in the newspaper, which is worth checking out. You can always phone them or drop in person to express your interest and enquire about any positions. If there are, they can give you more information.

A good way is to ask friends/family if they have vacancies where they work and if they can recommend you. I used to work in a restaurant where friends of staff used to get hired for front of house.
Original post by Zoe Lea
I really need a job but I'm also doing 4 a levels so how can people cope with having a job in year 12 and 13?!
What jobs will have the least amount of working hours?
My friend works for 8/9 hours on a Saturday! How can she have time to study and do homework? (she is also doing 4 subjects)

Are there any types of jobs you guys can recommend?
Or just any advice?

I worked full time hours in Waitrose during my A levels and got AAB. 8/9 hours a week is fine. Any retail job like a clothing shop, supermarket, etc will be quite flexible.
Do something like Uber/Ubereats where you can work whenever you want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending