The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan for EU Student

Hi.
I'm on the 1-st year at my University now and I heard that I'm eligible for a Maintenance loan as I'm working all the time ( as a EEA student ).
Last year I've done foundation year while I was working part-time all the time.
After that on summer break I was working full-time till the end of August and now during my 1-st semester I'm working part-time again.
I have just 2h/week contract, but I'm doing about 20-30h/week.
I want to apply for that loan ( I've alrady applied for tuition loan and received it ), but I have a few questions about that.
Let's say that I'll send you all the documents with PN1 form (P60, 3 month payslips, contract copy etc. ) and you'll accept my application. Whats going to happen next year if I want to apply for it again?
Do I have to work all the time to be eligible for that loan? I mean do I have to work part-time during my study or is it enought if I was working on summer break which is about 4-5 months?
Thanks
Original post by R0dak
Hi.
I'm on the 1-st year at my University now and I heard that I'm eligible for a Maintenance loan as I'm working all the time ( as a EEA student ).
Last year I've done foundation year while I was working part-time all the time.
After that on summer break I was working full-time till the end of August and now during my 1-st semester I'm working part-time again.
I have just 2h/week contract, but I'm doing about 20-30h/week.
I want to apply for that loan ( I've alrady applied for tuition loan and received it ), but I have a few questions about that.
Let's say that I'll send you all the documents with PN1 form (P60, 3 month payslips, contract copy etc. ) and you'll accept my application. Whats going to happen next year if I want to apply for it again?
Do I have to work all the time to be eligible for that loan? I mean do I have to work part-time during my study or is it enought if I was working on summer break which is about 4-5 months?
Thanks

Hi R0dak,

To apply as a migrant worker, you must be in continuing employment through your full course as we will ask for payslips to show this each term to release your payment.

We will require you to send A PN1 paper application form (link below) along with:

Original Passport or National ID Card

A copy of your contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer)

The students last 3 months payslips (if available)

The students most recent P60 (if available)

September payslip

PN1 form - http://bit.ly/2tAXVNU

Thanks

Katie
Reply 2
Thanks a lot!
Is there is any conditions about how many hours I have to do a week/month?
Original post by R0dak
Thanks a lot!
Is there is any conditions about how many hours I have to do a week/month?

Hi R0dak,

There is no set amount of hours that your are required to work, the amount of income just has to be sufficient enough for you to support yourself without the additional financial support from Student Finance.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 4
Ok, but what will happen if I'll start summer placement?
And then after that I'll come back to work again?
Original post by R0dak
Ok, but what will happen if I'll start summer placement?
And then after that I'll come back to work again?

Hi R0dak,

Providing you are still working and earning at an acceptable level you retain your eligibility.

If you end your employment voluntarily you will automatically lose your status as a migrant worker. This means your funding may need to be prorated.

We will require a copy of your P45; this will allow us to pro rata the funding entitlement for maintenance support from the start of the academic year up until the date you left employment.

You would need to apply for Migrant Worker status again if you get another job while studying.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 6
So lets say that I'm working part-time now and I'm eligible for that loan. Then you're going to pay me till I'll finish working and you're not going to pay me while I'm doing summer plecement ( which is also paid )? If I'll finish that summer placement and start working again then can I apply for that loan again?
Original post by R0dak
So lets say that I'm working part-time now and I'm eligible for that loan. Then you're going to pay me till I'll finish working and you're not going to pay me while I'm doing summer plecement ( which is also paid )? If I'll finish that summer placement and start working again then can I apply for that loan again?

Hi R0dak,

Yes. If you are not working because you voluntarily ended the employment you are not eligible for Migrant Worker status.

Regards,

Stuart
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending