The Student Room Group

New Gcse System Easier or Harder?

So, the government changed up the GCSEs and now we have the 9-1 system with different specifications, grade boundaries etc. Now, take Maths for example, the new system was made so it's harder. And it is, for the most part.

However. The grade boundaries have decreased significantly and it now only takes 18% for a pass and about 50% for a grade 7.

The argument here is that some view this as beneficial and easier considering it takes less marks to pass. The other side of the argument is that it's become increasingly harder and therefore it's not likely to achieve 50%.

Coursework has also been scrapped and it's all examinations.

However, most people still don't understand the 9-1 system as parts of it are confusing. For example a 4 is seen as a pass but a 5 is a strong pass. What happened to the good old fashioned C?

Another point is that for most subjects, past papers are not available and the specification and grade boundaries are still uncertain.

So, do you feel it was useless and just threw young people off or in ways is beneficial and has made things easier?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they're harder of course although the grade boundaries are lower it is harder to get the grades due to the fact that coursework has been removed and there are no past papers
I thought it was just lower for the year 11's who did it first. You're telling me the grade boundaries are much lower even for this year? Awesome
Would have liked them to remove coursework in A-Levels -.-
I guess it could be good in the long term, however I think its silly for students to ponder on the technicalities of educational reforms (Every year thinks they have harder exams than the previous), end of the day the principle remains the same... understand the content and work hard and you will get the grades
Reply 5
Original post by VirgoStrain
Wrong. The exam board creates specimen papers for the new specifications.

But not as much papers for someone who would be doing the traditional ones. Considering they have lots of past papers and there are few specimen papers
Reply 6
Original post by SuperHuman98
I guess it could be good in the long term, however I think its silly for students to ponder on the technicalities of educational reforms (Every year thinks they have harder exams than the previous), end of the day the principle remains the same... understand the content and work hard and you will get the grades

It's harder to understand the content for some subjects. For example the R.E GCSE- the OCR exam board has not realised the 9-1 specification of the grade boundaries and there are no specimen papers.
Original post by Exo9
But not as much papers for someone who would be doing the traditional ones. Considering they have lots of past papers and there are few specimen papers

You will not be disadvantaged in anyway. Trust me when I say that. The grade boundaries are set depending on how the entire cohort performs so you will be getting the grade which are proportional to the rest of the people sitting GCSEs. Just work hard and stop thinking about the reforms because all it does is distract you from the main thing which is to keep working.
They don't manually lower it. It's set based on the performance of the cohort. It it intended be no harder nor easier to get a 7 in a 9-1 GCSE than it would have been to achieve an A in that GCSE on the old specification.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9

Every specimen paper i looked at for the old GCSEs were pretty much shite tbh, they don't really help that much. Actual past papers are so much more useful
Original post by Exo9
It's harder to understand the content for some subjects. For example the R.E GCSE- the OCR exam board has not realised the 9-1 specification of the grade boundaries and there are no specimen papers.

They won't know the grade boundaries until the papers are sat, unless they do nationally distributed mocks, (like edexcel and pixl did with maths) which would be difficult to organise and ultimately not representative of the country.
Original post by _gcx
They don't manually lower it. It's set based on the performance of the cohort. It it intended be no harder nor easier to get a 7 in a 9-1 GCSE than it would have been to achieve an A in that GCSE on the old specification.

I don’t like that system. I think it will mean that a candidate who scored for example 60% could get different grades depending on the strength of the overall cohort. This makes it harder to compare candidates from different cohorts by their grades.
Original post by Exo9
So, the government changed up the GCSEs and now we have the 9-1 system with different specifications, grade boundaries etc. Now, take Maths for example, the new system was made so it's harder. And it is, for the most part.

However. The grade boundaries have decreased significantly and it now only takes 18% for a pass and about 50% for a grade 7.

The argument here is that some view this as beneficial and easier considering it takes less marks to pass. The other side of the argument is that it's become increasingly harder and therefore it's not likely to achieve 50%.

However, most people still don't understand the 9-1 system as parts of it are confusing. For example a 4 is seen as a pass but a 5 is a strong pass. What happened to the good old fashioned C?

Another point is that for most subjects, past papers are not available and the specification and grade boundaries are still uncertain.

So, do you feel it was useless and just threw young people off or in ways is beneficial and has made things easier?

It's harder of course but the transition from the GCSE's to A level will now be less of a challenge as you are at a better level. taking English literature now is just the same as GCSE's with more content but the jump in French and philosophy is huge because of the easier GCSE's

But there are limited resources available to practice the new style of questions on the content learnt. Moreover there are 1/2 papers which, in my opinion, is insufficient for revision.
Original post by Exo9

from someone who is doing gcses this year the new spec is harder compared to the old gcses and i'm predicted a 7 (A) for all subjects. The reason why its harder currently is because they're bringing A-level content into the new gcse spec and teachers and students have been taught following the old gcse spec up until last year so its quite a big change. It will get easier as the years go along as year groups will have more to time to get familiar with the specification
Original post by Emerald777O
I thought it was just lower for the year 11's who did it first. You're telling me the grade boundaries are much lower even for this year? Awesome

The problem here lies in the fact that grade boundaries aren't set until the entire cohort has been marked. The boundaries are based on the performance of the entire cohort so it is wrong to say they are going to be lower or higher. I personally think changes make no difference because the people who work hard get the results without pondering over new or old spec. If you are dedicated you will just be fine. Moreover, the new spec is actually good because it weeds out the hard working from the "I am intelligent but cba to work hard" and so you can't just open your CGP book the night before the exam and learn everything. The new 9-1 tests your understanding and therefore there is pressure on pupils to revise before.
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
The problem here lies in the fact that grade boundaries aren't set until the entire cohort has been marked. The boundaries are based on the performance of the entire cohort so it is wrong to say they are going to be lower or higher. I personally think changes make no difference because the people who work hard get the results without pondering over new or old spec. If you are dedicated you will just be fine. Moreover, the new spec is actually good because it weeds out the hard working from the "I am intelligent but cba to work hard" and so you can't just open your CGP book the night before the exam and learn everything. The new 9-1 tests your understanding and therefore there is pressure on pupils to revise before.

Agreed
Reply 17
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?

To summarise I guess you are saying, it does not matter if they are harder or easier, as you still have to study and work hard however, what the 9-1 does do, is stress a student out further considering there is more content and stuff that needs to be revised beforehand based on understanding.
Agreed, however if all the exams were made to do were to stress students out, what is the point? What was wrong with the good old A's?
Original post by Exo9
To summarise I guess you are saying, it does not matter if they are harder or easier, as you still have to study and work hard however, what the 9-1 does do, is stress a student out further considering there is more content and stuff that needs to be revised beforehand based on understanding.
Agreed, however if all the exams were made to do were to stress students out, what is the point? What was wrong with the good old A's?

Why would it stress the student out if they have been working through the year? I have sat the new spec maths and english and although I will admit they were seemingly hard, I found them the same as the old spec exams since the major concepts remain the same. For subjects like sciences, there is more content but it is taught to most kids from year 9 so 3 years should be enough time to learn it and regardless of the length, more content doesn't mean it is hard. I have seen the OCR Gateway and Edexcel new spec because I teach some kids at my school who struggle with some concepts and for me, they are pretty much the same except for learning the 20 odd equations for physics and knowing the major elements within the periodic table.

There is no problem with the A-E system but all the 9-1 system does is separate the top kids from the rest of the kids who also get high grades. The ratio of kids who get a C and A is essentially the same so it isn't harder or easier to attain a certain grade. I have done the 9-1 spec myself so am aware of the differences which frankly, there isn't many.
I’d definitely say that maths is harder... the beginning of year 10 we took the last old spec maths paper in the second week without warning and I got n a* nearing full marks but I now struggle to get a 7 (A). I don’t think that the lower grade boundaries make a difference as the questions are much more difficult, therefore its much harder to get many marks on the papers

Quick Reply

Latest