The Student Room Group

Do I need a laptop for sixth form?

I've taken physics maths and further maths
I don't have access to computers in sixth-form just available wifi , and in home I use my sibling's lapto, out shared computer is out of work! Have repaired it too many times. Then I realized I needed a good and new one for university so at that time should I get one or using my cell phone enough?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alevelbuddy
I've taken physics maths and further maths
I don't have access to computers in sixth-form just available wifi , and in home I use my sibling's lapto, out shared computer is out of work! Have repaired it too many times. Then I realized I needed a good and new one for university so at that time should I get one or using my cell phone enough?

I just use my iPhone for research (google) and it's perfectly adequate for me. The screen is a little too small sometimes but really it's not worth shelling out a couple of hundred just for a laptop IMO. I'm quite happy with my phone for now.
Personally I found having a laptop very helpful but its not essential
Reply 3
I use my phone as well but watching videos On phone or reading PDF is too small for me at times
Reply 4
@GovernmentEarner which subjects you are studying?
i study almost the same subjects and a laptop is sooooo useful, not jsut for school stuff. if you cant afford much, a netbook will do the trick!
Reply 6
Original post by hpblcparaboloid
i study almost the same subjects and a laptop is sooooo useful, not jsut for school stuff. if you cant afford much, a netbook will do the trick!

can you link those netbook? and which online resources are you using?
I use my phone as well but watching videos On phone or reading PDF is too small for me at times

Yeah I use my phone for reading the textbook which isn't perfect but it's still ok for me really. Depends whether or not you can justify a £200-£500 investment just for a larger screen pretty much.
Reply 8
Original post by RedGiant
Yeah I use my phone for reading the textbook which isn't perfect but it's still ok for me really. Depends whether or not you can justify a £200-£500 investment just for a larger screen pretty much.

which subjects are you studying?
which subjects are you studying?

Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Just need my phone for the physics and chemistry textbooks really (which I could just buy a physical copy of).
Although at home I have a desktop computer which I use a lot, but that's not just for work (TSR and youtube as well)
Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Just need my phone for the physics and chemistry textbooks really (which I could just buy a physical copy of).

oh you dont use online resources much?
oh you dont use online resources much?

Not really, my textbook has pretty much everything I need (questions and notes). Sometimes I do try and source other notes but this isn't too difficult on a phone.
Reply 14
I have a desktop and a laptop both for work. In college, I normally use the library computers to do work. I bought a laptop as well because sometimes in my study periods, the library is sometimes full so I use my laptop. It's also nice to just work wherever you want in college or at home. It's up to you, but in my opinion it definitely makes things more convenient as I could just whip out my laptop during lunch with my friends, or use my laptop on my bed and do work etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
At those prices, I'd get a laptop.

OP, no you don't need a laptop. It might be very handy, though, if your school doesn't have computers you can use.

yes my price ranges to maximise 250 and
I didn't understood what you're trying to say?
Although at home I have a desktop computer which I use a lot, but that's not just for work (TSR and youtube as well)

I don't have that as my desktop is out of order
I bought a chromebook in Year 12 and now I'm in Year 13 and I have to say it's sooooooooooooo useful
Original post by Texxers
I bought a chromebook in Year 12 and now I'm in Year 13 and I have to say it's sooooooooooooo useful

chromebooks aren't available in my country :frown:
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
You want a desktop or laptop to use at both school and home.

It doesn't matter if you own them or not.

If both school and home have accessible computers, then you don't need a laptop.

If school has accessible computers but not home, then you might want a desktop for home.

If school deson't have accessible computers, get a laptop.

thank you so much 💓

Quick Reply

Latest