The Student Room Group

Liberals have declared war on reason

Scroll to see replies

Why do all the kids have to talk like Americans these days? #****inginternet
Original post by Airplanebee2
Oh come on, you must be aware of things like Ken Livinstone’s aide “Black people cant be racist”, the spate of “dear white people” statements from various places such as MTV, the American professor Noel Ignatiev who wants to “abolish the social construct known as white people”, the vast numbers of celebrities who make anti-white statements and the double standards of prejudice when it comes to the ethnic status of white people v. The ethnic status of other peoples in the world.

Of course. And they are no better to a point. Expect they are generally on the receiving end so a little empathy of their anger and frustration is perhaps appropriate.

We forget that we live in a generally white world. If you are white, life is easy. If you are not white it is incredible difficult. I find it rather insensitive to be so offended when black people throw a bit of what they experience on a daily basis back at us. I don't condone it but it does shine a light on the issue in a way that simply saying racism isn't very nice can never achieve.

You clearly don't like racism aimed at whites, so I would fully expect someone like yourself to be condoning racism of all shapes, colours and hues.
Original post by AllonsEnfants!
I dunno.

The ethnically Nigerian and very liberal student who runs the Black and Minority Ethnic Society at Cambridge University seems to have difficulty in understanding it when he tweeted:

'ALL white people are racist. White middle class, white working class, white men, white women, white gays, white children they can ALL geddit'

I never for a second said that black people aren't racist. I always find it interesting that the counter argument to the view that all racism is bad is to pick on black person as an example of racism against white and that that in turn sort of justifies being racist back at black people again.

In my view, all racism is bad. But as white people, we don't experience racism on a daily basis. We are not prevented from getting jobs, or being served in shops, or stopped and searched by the police frequently, or any other manner of social barriers simply because of the colour of out skin. If we did understand and experience that, perhaps we might have a little empathy for people like this Nigerian chap you mentioned and his motives for Tweeting what he did.
Original post by artful_lounger
I'm white, so your racism just fell a bit flat, and also just because they didn't experience it doesn't mean they don't experience the repercussions of it.

The entire world had slaves in the past not just White people, look in the Bible and you will see stories about slaves in ancient Egypt, the pyramids are known to be build by slaves, the Aztec and Incas are known to have had slaves.
Tribalism is not inherently worse than the alternative; the "democratic" nations are horribly corrupt because they are banana republics manipulated by western capitalism politics; white colonialism was the cause of the Nazi party, indirectly, and also said colonial nations had no qualms with Nazi Germany subjugating it's own population and only intervened because they believed borders were of divine import, after Germany began invading and annexing other countries (and even then were extremely slow to respond until it directly threatened their place in the power dynamic of Europe.

Part of me is sorry your education failed you so badly but a larger part of me is looking forward to when you are held accountable for our willful ignorance.

If tribalism is no worse then why do you hate British tribalism for example as expressed by the BNP?
Yet they still recruit fewer BME students than proportionally representative, and fewer state school students even - and since the majority of BME students are state school students, and often are left attending the worst in the country due to the fact the systemic racism prevents their parents getting better jobs and moving to better school zones, it is necessary to correct for the problems I pointed out. Which anyone with two brain cells can see, so I assume you must have fewer.

Black students probably get fewer first because of that exact reason, since they have a weaker foundation due to social issues that affect them but are outside of their control - before you consider any subconscious biases that markers may have against such students where they are able to identify them, which has been well documented in research.

Give me a break. Nature creates inequalities because that’s just what nature does. In the US they have blamed these inequalities on society now for 2 generations and taken all kinds of measures but to no avail. You know why? Because these are just natural inequalities and don’t need to be in resolved.

The only way to resolve these inequalities would be put out in some God awful communist type state that tried to regulate everyone, take you down a peg or two if you’re the wrong group and achieve too much and give you a boost if you are the right group.

See modern educayshun linked below:

But that doesn't seem to be the case does it?

2011 Census UK

Black population as a percentage of overall UK population: 3%

2016 Applications to Cambridge University

Black applicants as a percentage of overall applicants: 3%

"Oxford and Cambridge are two institutions that do not appear to show systematic or consistent bias against black or less privileged applicants."

http://wonkhe.com/blogs/data-university-admissions-bias/

Original post by Dan_211
I don’t think there are any.

Maybe the virtue signaller can explain why countries such as one once referred to as “the breadbasket of Africa” can’t even feed their own people anymore?

The virtue signaller is only interested in one thing, declaring war on reason. They are probably applying right now to have this thread removed and all people who disagree with them banned, under the guise of being offensive.

I’m deadly serious, that is exactly how they operate. They don’t realise what kind of people they are.
The entire world had slaves in the past not just White people, look in the Bible and you will see stories about slaves in ancient Egypt, the pyramids are known to be build by slaves, the Aztec and Incas are known to have had slaves.

Classic "they did it too" excuse. Pathetic.
Original post by IntrovertPizza
Erm...OP....

Did you ever look in the Oxford Dictionary at the official definition of Sex and Gender? Because at the moment, you're entire statement is a joke founded on the concept of hate and lies.

Please see my previous post about the foundations of gender differing from sex arising from analysis of a clinic to treat transvestites in the 1960s. The original definition was gender identity in some cases being where the brain incorrectly decided gender. This then mutates to gender identity being something absolute.

The dictionary is not the universal source of truth on controversies such as this. It will just state popular usage.

Popular usage is not always right for example the earth being flat was in popular usage at one time.
Original post by saayagain
How is the difference between two so called races the same as the difference between a dog and a cat?

The difference is more like the difference between a Collie and a Poodle. I was just using dog and cat as an analogy for merging different categories into one.
Original post by ByEeek
But as white people, we don't experience racism on a daily basis. We are not prevented from getting jobs, or being served in shops, or stopped and searched by the police frequently, or any other manner of social barriers simply because of the colour of out skin..

There are so many examples I can give you where white people are excluded simply because of the 'colour of our skin'. Here's a relevant one:

I'm sure you are aware of Target Oxbridge which is sponsored by both Cambridge and Oxford. It's a year long programme which assists prospective students to write personal statements; gives practice interviews and prepares them for the admissions tests. Sounds a superb opportunity and a huge advantage. It's free to all participants. The only catch is it is only open to: "black African and Caribbean students and students of mixed race with black African and Caribbean heritage"

https://targetoxbridge.co.uk/the_programme.html

Why can't disadvantaged students of any race be given this opportunity?

Equality does not mean treating everyone equally, so the mantra goes.
Original post by ByEeek
Of course. And they are no better to a point. Expect they are generally on the receiving end so a little empathy of their anger and frustration is perhaps appropriate.

We forget that we live in a generally white world. If you are white, life is easy. If you are not white it is incredible difficult. I find it rather insensitive to be so offended when black people throw a bit of what they experience on a daily basis back at us. I don't condone it but it does shine a light on the issue in a way that simply saying racism isn't very nice can never achieve.

You clearly don't like racism aimed at whites, so I would fully expect someone like yourself to be condoning racism of all shapes, colours and hues.

There are 480 million white people in the world which represents 6.5% of the worlds population so it isn’t a white world, and we have somehow come to believe that everyone is white and we need to start increasing diversity. White peoples are having fewer children and are set to become a minority in their historic countries.

I got think black people and other ethnic people are treated very fairly. They are judged on their performance and nothing else in the workplace.

If the outcomes are different in the U.K. it is certainly not down to discrimination seeing as it’s so much outlawed and people bend over backwards not to discriminate, someone’s in such an extreme way that you get things like the Rotherham incident.
Original post by ByEeek
I never for a second said that black people aren't racist. I always find it interesting that the counter argument to the view that all racism is bad is to pick on black person as an example of racism against white and that that in turn sort of justifies being racist back at black people again.

In my view, all racism is bad. But as white people, we don't experience racism on a daily basis. We are not prevented from getting jobs, or being served in shops, or stopped and searched by the police frequently, or any other manner of social barriers simply because of the colour of out skin. If we did understand and experience that, perhaps we might have a little empathy for people like this Nigerian chap you mentioned and his motives for Tweeting what he did.

You say that right wingers point to black racism as a justification of racism.

The point is not to justify racism but to point to liberal hypocrisy and liberal wars declared on reason by liberals targeting white racism but seeming to ignore racism from “minority” groups.
Original post by yudothis
Classic "they did it too" excuse. Pathetic.

No it’s no a they did it too argument - it’s a don’t be blind and don’t have an agenda and only target one group for having slaves when all groups had slaves.

Why can't disadvantaged students of any race be given this opportunity?

Its a fair question. But I find it sad that you pick on this organisation rather than the inequality that sees the majority of Oxbridge students coming from privately educated backgrounds. These students have access not only to the very best education money can buy, but influence and networks that allow them to tap straight into Oxbridge elite.

Yet you choose to criticise an organisation that aims to help the most disadvantaged of disadvantaged people in the country. Odd!

Why not target all disadvantaged people? A fair point. But as a white disadvantaged person applying to Oxbridge you are already significantly more advantaged than your black peer.
You say that right wingers point to black racism as a justification of racism.

The point is not to justify racism but to point to liberal hypocrisy and liberal wars declared on reason by liberals targeting white racism but seeming to ignore racism from “minority” groups.

I never said right wingers were racist. I also never suggested that black racists were liberal. You are putting words in my mouth. Just because one person may not fit the bill does not mean there is hypocrisy across a whole movement. There is no liberal agenda I am aware of that says racism against blacks is worse than racism against whites.

But it is a fact that in this country, racism against whites tends to be words of the sticks and stones nature. Racism against blacks sees barriers put up that prevent them getting jobs, accessing services and participating fully in society.

You seem to be complaining about the "sticks and stones" aspect of racism, where as most black anti-racism activists simply want the same chances in society that white people take for granted.
Original post by ByEeek
Its a fair question. But I find it sad that you pick on this organisation rather than the inequality that sees the majority of Oxbridge students coming from privately educated backgrounds. These students have access not only to the very best education money can buy, but influence and networks that allow them to tap straight into Oxbridge elite.

Yet you choose to criticise an organisation that aims to help the most disadvantaged of disadvantaged people in the country. Odd!

Why not target all disadvantaged people? A fair point. But as a white disadvantaged person applying to Oxbridge you are already significantly more advantaged than your black peer.

Let’s say I start a firm and its mission statement is, I don’t know say “A computer on every desktop”. Why is it assumed that it’s overarching mission statement is to make the world equal? Maybe I don’t behave in equality or see a reason why everyone had to be equal, or why groups have to be equal.

Why are people talking as this is an automatic premise?
There are 480 million white people in the world which represents 6.5% of the worlds population so it isn’t a white world

Go back to your whiteboard and then add in where the wealth of the world lies. Where is it based (i.e. where do the owners of that wealth live?)

Yep - there are some wealthy oil barrens in the Middle East, but my back of an envelope calculations would see most of the world's wealth spread around Europe and the US. i.e. in whiteland.

Population has nothing to do with anything. When it comes to equality in the world, it all boils down to money and power.
Original post by ByEeek
I never said right wingers were racist. I also never suggested that black racists were liberal. You are putting words in my mouth. Just because one person may not fit the bill does not mean there is hypocrisy across a whole movement. There is no liberal agenda I am aware of that says racism against blacks is worse than racism against whites.

But it is a fact that in this country, racism against whites tends to be words of the sticks and stones nature. Racism against blacks sees barriers put up that prevent them getting jobs, accessing services and participating fully in society.

You seem to be complaining about the "sticks and stones" aspect of racism, where as most black anti-racism activists simply want the same chances in society that white people take for granted.

Well I think it depends on your definition of racism. Modern liberals tend to see all differences in outcomes as caused by racism.

I would argue that these differences in outcomes are not caused by racism. The causes are first that newcomers to a nation take several generations to adjust and hence tend to have a much lower standard of living and secondly there are natural variations between all groups because Mother Nature does not believe in equality.
Original post by ByEeek
Go back to your whiteboard and then add in where the wealth of the world lies. Where is it based (i.e. where do the owners of that wealth live?)

Yep - there are some wealthy oil barrens in the Middle East, but my back of an envelope calculations would see most of the world's wealth spread around Europe and the US. i.e. in whiteland.

Population has nothing to do with anything. When it comes to equality in the world, it all boils down to money and power.

The average person in the U.K. or USA today, if you covert their money to Indian Rupees and look at the purchasing power in India, they are very strong, but in their own context, many are holding two or three jobs just to pay their bills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending