The Student Room Group

english language

i am doing english lang. this year for gcse but i don't know how to revise. is there any other way than past papers to revise?
what types of books do i need to read?
can u suggest some?
thanks
Reply 1
If it's English language and not the combined exam here are some tips:

Make up cheat sheets, mind maps for each paper, so you know what to do in each question, how long they take, and what is needed in each.

Learn the technical devices and sentence structure.

Read everything right across the board (broad sheets, tabloid press, the classics, modern) anything you can get your hands on.

Pick out bits of text and analyse it like it would be in the exam. Pick out the repetition, assonance etc, why the writer used certain words, how it made you feel etc.

Most importantly get used to reading between the lines at the inferred meaning of the text. It is the undercurrent, what isn't said but the reader feels - this will score the high marks.

Do past papers but do be aware there is only one for the new exams (2017) and I don't know when that will be released.

Practice your creative writing, doing articles, essays, descriptive, stories etc.

Do something every day if you can just for 20 minutes or so, just keep it ticking over until January and then up the time spent.

Do not burn out with it though, take time off if you need it, exercise, eat well, sleep well.

Look at your weakness and build on it, so if your a bit off on spelling, make sure you cover that as well.

Visualise yourself doing the exam in detail - the brain doesn't know the difference.

Watch Mr Bruff's videos on repeat.

Hope that helps.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by anooja
i am doing english lang. this year for gcse but i don't know how to revise. is there any other way than past papers to revise?
what types of books do i need to read?
can u suggest some?
thanks

Which exam board? if its AQA then Mr Bruff otherwise just get revision / workbooks.

Quick Reply

Latest