The Student Room Group

Math

Particles p and q of masses 2m kg and m kg respectively are attached to the ends of a large and inextensible string which passes over a smooth fixed pulley. They both hang at a distance of 2 meters above horizontal ground. The system is released from rest.
Given that the particle Q does not reach the pulley:
Find the greatest height that Q reaches above the ground
Original post by allegrosquir
Particles p and q of masses 2m kg and m kg respectively are attached to the ends of a large and inextensible string which passes over a smooth fixed pulley. They both hang at a distance of 2 meters above horizontal ground. The system is released from rest.
Given that the particle Q does not reach the pulley:
Find the greatest height that Q reaches above the ground

Great.

You tried anything, or do you want us to do this Q for you?
I found that a=3.3 and v=3.6 (speed of p when it hits the ground) . I checked my solutions ant they are right.
I tried to do the question. But my answer is wrong. I think that u=0 as they are released form rest and v=3.6 and a=3.3. So the answer should be 3.96( 1.96+2). But it is wrong.
Original post by RDKGames
Great.

You tried anything, or do you want us to do this Q for you?

My reply is above
My reply is above

Can you post your working?

Here

Is there anything wrong with the working?
Is there anything wrong with the working?

When P hits the floor, Q becomes a projectile upwards. If the final speed of P is 3.6 then the initial speed of the projectile Q is 3.6 upwards. You must treat Q as a projectile now and find the highest it goes.
When P hits the floor, Q becomes a projectile upwards. If the final speed of P is 3.6 then the initial speed of the projectile Q is 3.6 upwards. You must treat Q as a projectile now and find the highest it goes.

Does the final speed of equal to 0?
Does the final speed of equal to 0?

Yes.
Yes.

But then the distance will be negative?
But then the distance will be negative?

Well it shouldn't be. You need to pick g=9.8g=-9.8 and assume upwards as the +ve direction and you'll be good.
Well it shouldn't be. You need to pick g=9.8g=-9.8 and assume upwards as the +ve direction and you'll be good.

Okay, thank you!
Okay, thank you!

I am a bit confused now. Do I use this: 0=3.6^2 -9.8*2*s ?
I am a bit confused now. Do I use this: 0=3.6^2 -9.8*2*s ?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest