The Student Room Group

what can bind to serotonin receptors

what substances can bind to serotonin receptors and have an effect in the body?

EDIT: other than serotonin
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by tammie123

By definition, your answer is serotonin (and similar molecular structures).

Serotonin.
As it is a Serotonin Receptor.

Effect is it makes you happier
Reply 3
Aside from the obvious, some examples of antagonists at 5HT receptors used as medications like Metoclopramide (for gastroparesis + vomiting), Ondansetron (post-op nausea), or agonists like -Triptans (for migraines) etc.

Anyway, do your own research
Original post by Kyalimers
By definition, your answer is serotonin (and similar molecular structures).

Original post by joyoustele
Serotonin.
As it is a Serotonin Receptor.

Effect is it makes you happier

I should've clarified that I meant substances aside from serotonin and thanks for the answers.

Original post by Sai4
Aside from the obvious, some examples of antagonists at 5HT receptors used as medications like Metoclopramide (for gastroparesis + vomiting), Ondansetron (post-op nausea), or agonists like -Triptans (for migraines) etc.

Anyway, do your own research

I did try to research it but couldn't find anything, there's no need to be rude you're not the only one having a bad day
I should've clarified that I meant substances aside from serotonin and thanks for the answers.

Well there are going to be hundreds if not more molecular structures that will have some element which can bind to serotonin receptors.

You can either get a receptor agonist (which potentiates the receptor) or an antagonist (which essentially blocks the receptor).

Presuming this is for A-Level, I don't really think you need to know specific compounds or drugs that work on the 5HT receptor complex. I think that the simplicity of the question is why the above poster has been a little abrupt in their response to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending