The Student Room Group

Did I do the right thing by not applying to Oxford?

So obviously all Oxbridge applications are in so it’s a little late to change them, but I was seriously considering Oxford to study History at Queens, so I know its super competitive.
I’m predicted A*A*A in English Lit, Classics and History. I got relatively high marks in mock entrance exams, and I was told by mock interviewers etc. that I had a good chance if I kept practicing. However the head of my school Oxbridge applicants said my GCSE’S weren’t good enough, and that she wasn’t sure if it was worth it to apply, (I knew my 2A*, 6 As and 2Bs were under the 8A* average) but she kind of said that the weight on GCSES in Oxbridge is much heavier than elsewhere. So I didn’t apply, because I didn’t want to use up 2 spaces when I didn’t have much of a chance of being considered.
However in hindsight I feel like I should have gone for it? Just wanted to see if anyone else was close to the mark and then decided not to? I’m still very happy with my Uni options though so I’m not too upset.
no
I applied with much worse GCSEs. I hear conflicting information it seems to be:

A Level results > Admissions test performance > Interview performance > Personal statement > GCSEs

I'm confident I conveyed passion for the subject on my PS and confident I can do well on the interview and TSA, as I'm told I have a natural aptitude for that sort of thing.
Don't be put down. You will get into a top uni either way and succeed in whatever career you want to do. Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you, that's really sweet of you :smile: you too.
Original post by sduls1
So obviously all Oxbridge applications are in so it’s a little late to change them, but I was seriously considering Oxford to study History at Queens, so I know its super competitive.
I’m predicted A*A*A in English Lit, Classics and History. I got relatively high marks in mock entrance exams, and I was told by mock interviewers etc. that I had a good chance if I kept practicing. However the head of my school Oxbridge applicants said my GCSE’S weren’t good enough, and that she wasn’t sure if it was worth it to apply, (I knew my 2A*, 6 As and 2Bs were under the 8A* average) but she kind of said that the weight on GCSES in Oxbridge is much heavier than elsewhere. So I didn’t apply, because I didn’t want to use up 2 spaces when I didn’t have much of a chance of being considered.
However in hindsight I feel like I should have gone for it? Just wanted to see if anyone else was close to the mark and then decided not to? I’m still very happy with my Uni options though so I’m not too upset.

You can only apply to one of Oxford or Cambridge, so it would only have been one spot. Cambridge looks less at GCSEs, so if you do well and want to try, I would recommend a post-A-Level application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending