The Student Room Group

My corner of the internet: GYG

Hello, world,

Well, I say world who knows who will even read this. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked, so where to begin well I'm a 17 year old who has just successfully completed As, and is currently doing her A Levels.

I'm studying Maths, Physics and Computer Science and the truth is I really love them, well most of the time but that can be said about any subject. Last year I got a swarm for my As results a swarm of B's that is. (I feel like I should warn any future reader there will be more terrible puns so...) This year I want to do the best that I possibly can but then who doesn't, my dream would be to get AAA which would be incredible but more realistically I will probably get between ABB and AAB at a push but its always good to have something to aim for.

So that's a bit about me, congratulations to making it this far without clicking off! And now we can discuss the more interesting stuff. There are so many choices, good ways to revise, time management, UCAS. But I'm going to start with the thing that is currently most urgent. My UCAS personal statement. I've realised the one thing I haven't mentioned is my future plans, you see next year I would love to go to university to either study Computer Science or Physics.

The problem I am having is that personal statements are designed to be tailored to one specific subject, not two. This means that where others have been able to go into vast detail about why they love there subject and what they find so interesting about it I have had to remain very vague and tried to show my passion for Computer Science while trying not to put down Physics or vice versa. Overall this has resulted in a personal statement which is 30% academic and 70% extracurricular when ideally it should be the other way around.

So there you go that my current problem, I realise reading this back that this doesn't exactly have a lot to do with studying at all oops. More a way of me to express my current problem I'd be really interested to hear how other people have overcome similar issues. I will try to upload again soon especially as half term is approaching,
Thank you for reading all the way to the end xx
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minisarell
Hello, world,

Well, I say world who knows who will even read this. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked, so where to begin well I'm a 17 year old who has just successfully completed As, and is currently doing her A Levels.

I'm studying Maths, Physics and Computer Science and the truth is I really love them, well most of the time but that can be said about any subject. Last year I got a swarm for my As results a swarm of B's that is. (I feel like I should warn any future reader there will be more terrible puns so...) This year I want to do the best that I possibly can but then who doesn't, my dream would be to get AAA which would be incredible but more realistically I will probably get between ABB and AAB at a push but its always good to have something to aim for.

So that's a bit about me, congratulations to making it this far without clicking off! And now we can discuss the more interesting stuff. There are so many choices, good ways to revise, time management, UCAS. But I'm going to start with the thing that is currently most urgent. My UCAS personal statement. I've realised the one thing I haven't mentioned is my future plans, you see next year I would love to go to university to either study Computer Science or Physics.

The problem I am having is that personal statements are designed to be tailored to one specific subject, not two. This means that where others have been able to go into vast detail about why they love there subject and what they find so interesting about it I have had to remain very vague and tried to show my passion for Computer Science while trying not to put down Physics or vice versa. Overall this has resulted in a personal statement which is 30% academic and 70% extracurricular when ideally it should be the other way around.

So there you go that my current problem, I realise reading this back that this doesn't exactly have a lot to do with studying at all oops. More a way of me to express my current problem I'd be really interested to hear how other people have overcome similar issues. I will try to upload again soon especially as half term is approaching,

Does your school help with the personal statement?
Reply 2
you spelled internet wrong
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
you spelled internet wrong

It’s a good thing I’m not studying English then 😂😂
Reply 4
Original post by JMR2017
Does your school help with the personal statement?

They do but there advice so far has just been to make it more academic
Hello, world,

I was reading @Chittesh14's Grow Your Grades blog and they said they called up the uni to ask about writing a PS for two subjects - you can find the post about it here, but maybe you should ring the unis you're applying to?

Also I changed the title for you :smile:
x

Hi,

I had a similar issue where I was applying for straight Maths at either two or three of my university choices and then Maths and/with Economics for the remaining two/three universities. I was terrified as students and TSR members had been telling me that I would be put at a great disadvantage if I wrote about Economics in my personal statement when applying for straight Maths and vice versa that if I didn't I wouldn't get into LSE or Nottingham for a Maths and/with Economics degree. So I decided to call up Warwick and KCL and they told me that this is totally understandable as it happens every year - as long as there is passion and interest displayed in the subject for the course that you're applying for, the personal statement is at no disadvantage (assuming you balance it out or talk about each subject a significant amount). So for me, it's either Maths or Maths and/with Economics, so clearly I am applying for Maths mostly so around 70% of my PS will be Maths and the remainder 30% will be about Economics. But even in that 30%, 10% will be about the Maths in Economics (Econometrics).

So, in your case - you are applying for Computer Science or Physics. So, if you are applying e.g. 3 universities to Comp Science and 2 to Physics, you should write more about Computer science slightly maybe in the ratio 3:2 like your university courses. But, make sure the balance is there and that the interest is clearly displayed in both subjects as you don't want to talk too much about one subject otherwise you will certainly be disadvantaged. This is clearly what I was told, I had to talk about more Maths than Economics if applying to straight Maths and that's what I did - but that's also because most universities I was applying to were for Maths. In your case I think you should definitely balance it out and if you need any more help on this, please let me know.

But the best option would be to call each individual university and ask this question regarding the personal statement tailored to their course - e.g. if you are applying to Computer Science at the University of Birmingham, you can call the UG admissions team in general or if you can find the specific one for Computer Science and ask them about how they would deal with this problem of Physics being in the personal statement - if they're alright with it and how they'd recommend balancing out your personal statement between the two subjects. Please tell them about the fact that you are applying to Physicsc at other universities and so it is important you write about it in your personal statement otherwise they'll be confused as to why you'd want to write it and you may confuse them further.

Also, Happy Diwali to you. I hope you have a great day and your life is filled with joy and happiness!

P.S. Do not stress about UCAS!

Original post by Fox Corner
I was reading @Chittesh14's Grow Your Grades blog and they said they called up the uni to ask about writing a PS for two subjects - you can find the post about it here, but maybe you should ring the unis you're applying to?

Thank you Fox Corner :biggrin: for reading my blog lol and tagging me onto this thread! I'm sure I can help @minisarell a lot with this issue as it is annoying and scary! Btw, it's only me doing my blog lol one person haha.

Also, Happy Diwali to you. Hope you have a great day and your life is filled with joy and happiness!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Chittesh14

Thank you Fox Corner :biggrin: for reading my blog lol and tagging me onto this thread! I'm sure I can help @minisarell a lot with this issue as it is annoying and scary! Btw, it's only me doing my blog lol one person haha.

Also, Happy Diwali to you. Hope you have a great day and your life is filled with joy and happiness!

That's alright! Thanks for letting them know about how you handled it :smile:

Only put them and they cos I wasn't sure which gender to use and didn't want to assume :h:

Happy Diwali to you as well! I hope you have a great day :candle:
That's alright! Thanks for letting them know about how you handled it :smile:

Only put them and they cos I wasn't sure which gender to use and didn't want to assume :h:

Happy Diwali to you as well! I hope you have a great day :candle:

No worries! :smile: I don't want anyone to be as stressed as I was on that day lol.
Haha, I thought the same - no worries, I was only joking :colondollar:.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 9

Thanks that is really useful advice and I will have a look at ringing up the universitys I'm interested in. Also thank you for fixing the title I just spent ages trying to work out how you do that!
Reply 10
Original post by Chittesh14
Hi,

I had a similar issue where I was applying for straight Maths at either two or three of my university choices and then Maths and/with Economics for the remaining two/three universities. I was terrified as students and TSR members had been telling me that I would be put at a great disadvantage if I wrote about Economics in my personal statement when applying for straight Maths and vice versa that if I didn't I wouldn't get into LSE or Nottingham for a Maths and/with Economics degree. So I decided to call up Warwick and KCL and they told me that this is totally understandable as it happens every year - as long as there is passion and interest displayed in the subject for the course that you're applying for, the personal statement is at no disadvantage (assuming you balance it out or talk about each subject a significant amount). So for me, it's either Maths or Maths and/with Economics, so clearly I am applying for Maths mostly so around 70% of my PS will be Maths and the remainder 30% will be about Economics. But even in that 30%, 10% will be about the Maths in Economics (Econometrics).

So, in your case - you are applying for Computer Science or Physics. So, if you are applying e.g. 3 universities to Comp Science and 2 to Physics, you should write more about Computer science slightly maybe in the ratio 3:2 like your university courses. But, make sure the balance is there and that the interest is clearly displayed in both subjects as you don't want to talk too much about one subject otherwise you will certainly be disadvantaged. This is clearly what I was told, I had to talk about more Maths than Economics if applying to straight Maths and that's what I did - but that's also because most universities I was applying to were for Maths. In your case I think you should definitely balance it out and if you need any more help on this, please let me know.

But the best option would be to call each individual university and ask this question regarding the personal statement tailored to their course - e.g. if you are applying to Computer Science at the University of Birmingham, you can call the UG admissions team in general or if you can find the specific one for Computer Science and ask them about how they would deal with this problem of Physics being in the personal statement - if they're alright with it and how they'd recommend balancing out your personal statement between the two subjects. Please tell them about the fact that you are applying to Physicsc at other universities and so it is important you write about it in your personal statement otherwise they'll be confused as to why you'd want to write it and you may confuse them further.

Also, Happy Diwali to you. I hope you have a great day and your life is filled with joy and happiness!

P.S. Do not stress about UCAS!

Wow this is some amazing advice thank you so much this has really helped me stop stressing about my personal statement! I will definitely ring up each university I am applying to in order to get there opinion on the matter but its nice to know that as long as I balance my subjects in my personal statement I won't be disadvantaged. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there that is applying to multiple subjects for university, thank you for helping me out I really appreciate it !
Wow this is some amazing advice thank you so much this has really helped me stop stressing about my personal statement! I will definitely ring up each university I am applying to in order to get there opinion on the matter but its nice to know that as long as I balance my subjects in my personal statement I won't be disadvantaged. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there that is applying to multiple subjects for university, thank you for helping me out I really appreciate it !

No worries, I'm glad it helped. That's good - it is the best idea and just see what they want exactly from you as some might be fine with a balance and some might want more of one subject etc. Haha there are plenty of people applying to multiple subjects and although it's not the best idea - universities definitely understand people might change their minds after A-levels etc!
Reply 12
Hello again,
Welcome to my half term update. So today is officially the first day fo the half term and I really want to be productive this week as I know that if I waste this time now I'm only going to regret it later on. To try and organise my time I have created a simple plan of what I want to do this week this includes my homework and a bit of revision.
Plan.jpg
I know it seems really early to start revising but I find by just doing a little bit this early on in the year that it means I have less work to do in May. In the past, I have created full timetables with allocated slots for everything but I found that I could never stick to it so instead I thought a list would be more useful as it shows me what I need to do but with no time slots. (Plus lists allow you to have the satisfaction of ticking things off as you go unlike timetables). In my plan, I have also built in lots of time to just relax as this is the half term after all and I feel like if I don't go back to college feeling a bit refreshed then next half term is going to be even harder!

So I will check back in at the end of the week to let you know if I managed to stick to it at all, fingers crossed I will. Before I go I would also be really interested to know how other people organise there time as I know a lot of people do use timetables, but I'm intrigued to know what other method people use.

Anyway until next time,
Bye xx
Nice to find another GYG thread for someone who does Computer Science! The more I find the merrier! What exam board are you on and how are you finding it? (Especially the coursework) :h:
Reply 14
Original post by EmilySarah00
Nice to find another GYG thread for someone who does Computer Science! The more I find the merrier! What exam board are you on and how are you finding it? (Especially the coursework) :h:

Hiya, I'm on AQA for Alevel what about you ? And I'm really enjoying the course but the Course work is so much work I'm currently trying to get my GUI to work and its stressful! What programming language do you learn as we do it all in Python!
Hiya, I'm on AQA for Alevel what about you ? And I'm really enjoying the course but the Course work is so much work I'm currently trying to get my GUI to work and its stressful! What programming language do you learn as we do it all in Python!

I'm on OCR! :facepalm:

I'm also enjoying the course but yes the coursework is driving me insane, I completely broke my GUI last night and I haven't been able to fix my code since! I'm doing my project in Java... I miss Python :cry2:
Reply 16
I'm on OCR! :facepalm:

I'm also enjoying the course but yes the coursework is driving me insane, I completely broke my GUI last night and I haven't been able to fix my code since! I'm doing my project in Java... I miss Python :cry2:

Oh no, I was on OCR for GCSE Computing and I just remember it being incredibly painful so I can only imagine how awful it is at A Level! Good luck!

I'd be lying if I didn't say I love python compared to JAVA, and what exactly is your coursework??
Oh no, I was on OCR for GCSE Computing and I just remember it being incredibly painful so I can only imagine how awful it is at A Level! Good luck!

I'd be lying if I didn't say I love python compared to JAVA, and what exactly is your coursework??

It is pretty painful not going to lie!

I'm creating a program which performs Dijkstra's Algorithm (You may or may not have come across it) onto any given network. I honestly regret my choices so much :laugh:

What about your project?
Reply 18
It is pretty painful not going to lie!

I'm creating a program which performs Dijkstra's Algorithm (You may or may not have come across it) onto any given network. I honestly regret my choices so much :laugh:

What about your project?

Yeah I know all about Dijkstra's Algorithm and that isn't exactly a nice thing to program :eek: I don't think I would even know where to start with something like that!
Yeah I know all about Dijkstra's Algorithm and that isn't exactly a nice thing to program :eek: I don't think I would even know where to start with something like that!

Hence why I regret it! :rofl:

Honestly I don't know where to start either, I'm so petrified to get stuck into it.

So yeah what's your project?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending