The Student Room Group

Extended Project ideas? EPQ

I want to do something related to chemistry and physics and maths.
Original post by asdjfgs
I want to do something related to chemistry and physics and maths.

What topics most interest you in these subjects? As long as what you choose is not covered in your A Levels (just one page in a textbook is fine but an entire section wouldn't be acceptable) you'll be fine to do it.

I can't specifically help you come up with one as I'm currently doing a biomed based EPQ but you can try looking at a bunch of science websites, journals, news articles and so on. Are there any big debates going on in them? You could try asking a teacher if they have any ideas for you. I found mine by going on a wikipedia marathon, starting with a generic, broad topic (e.g. cancer) and then clicking links within the article until I got to something that really interested me.

What you choose also has to be evaluative, not just descriptive. Your question can't just be "What are issues preventing space travel?" you have to be more specific and use words like 'Assess' and 'Evaluate'. A much better one would be "Evaluate the extent economics or technology limit the prospect of space travel." You have to be able to evaluate the arguments in your topic and come to a conclusion.

Hope I've helped and if you have anymore questions I will (try) to answer them!
Original post by yeahthatonethere
What topics most interest you in these subjects? As long as what you choose is not covered in your A Levels (just one page in a textbook is fine but an entire section wouldn't be acceptable) you'll be fine to do it.

I can't specifically help you come up with one as I'm currently doing a biomed based EPQ but you can try looking at a bunch of science websites, journals, news articles and so on. Are there any big debates going on in them? You could try asking a teacher if they have any ideas for you. I found mine by going on a wikipedia marathon, starting with a generic, broad topic (e.g. cancer) and then clicking links within the article until I got to something that really interested me.

What you choose also has to be evaluative, not just descriptive. Your question can't just be "What are issues preventing space travel?" you have to be more specific and use words like 'Assess' and 'Evaluate'. A much better one would be "Evaluate the extent economics or technology limit the prospect of space travel." You have to be able to evaluate the arguments in your topic and come to a conclusion.

Hope I've helped and if you have anymore questions I will (try) to answer them!

Hi, I know your not OP but I was wondering what the title of your EPQ is as I'm thinking of applying for biomed at uni :biggrin: Also, what a levels are you studying? Thanks :smile:
Original post by honeybee1
Hi, I know your not OP but I was wondering what the title of your EPQ is as I'm thinking of applying for biomed at uni :biggrin: Also, what a levels are you studying? Thanks :smile:

My working title right now is "Assess the prospect of using bacteria and viral based treatments in future medical care" and my A Levels are Biology, Chemistry and Psychology with Religious Studies at AS Level which I dropped. (I got 4 As at AS Level).

Anymore questions just ask!
My working title right now is "Assess the prospect of using bacteria and viral based treatments in future medical care" and my A Levels are Biology, Chemistry and Psychology with Religious Studies at AS Level which I dropped. (I got 4 As at AS Level).

Anymore questions just ask!

You might regret saying that now aha :biggrin:! Have you applied for uni this year? Where have you applied? Also what GCSEs did you get & what extra curricular have you done for your personal statement? Thanks so much for your help :smile:
You might regret saying that now aha :biggrin:! Have you applied for uni this year? Where have you applied? Also what GCSEs did you get & what extra curricular have you done for your personal statement? Thanks so much for your help :smile:

Seriously dude it's fine! Just ask away.

Yeah I've applied for uni this year and it's to:
Leeds for Microbiology (integrated masters)
Newcastle and Sheffield for Biomed (integrated masters)
Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent for Biomed (bachelors as these are my back ups).

GCSEs wise I got:
6 A* in English Lang, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Religious Studies and History
2 A in Maths and English Lit
1 C in Art (we don't talk about art,,,lmao)

As for Extracurricular I have been to a free public lecture at Newcastle Uni cause it's my local one, two weeks work experience in a microbiology unit of a factory (I actually got this cause my mum got drunk one night and mentioned how I got rejected by Nuffield Research Placements and a guy took pity on me lmao. You should check out the research placements by the way to see if you can apply), my school entered me in a science essay competition ran by oxbridge (which I lost but it's the participating that counts!) and I've been on a few biomed themed trips to Newcastle uni ran by my sixth form such as looking at cadavers and doing antibody tests with sheep's blood.

I'm glad I can help!
Seriously dude it's fine! Just ask away.

Yeah I've applied for uni this year and it's to:
Leeds for Microbiology (integrated masters)
Newcastle and Sheffield for Biomed (integrated masters)
Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent for Biomed (bachelors as these are my back ups).

GCSEs wise I got:
6 A* in English Lang, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Religious Studies and History
2 A in Maths and English Lit
1 C in Art (we don't talk about art,,,lmao)

As for Extracurricular I have been to a free public lecture at Newcastle Uni cause it's my local one, two weeks work experience in a microbiology unit of a factory (I actually got this cause my mum got drunk one night and mentioned how I got rejected by Nuffield Research Placements and a guy took pity on me lmao. You should check out the research placements by the way to see if you can apply), my school entered me in a science essay competition ran by oxbridge (which I lost but it's the participating that counts!) and I've been on a few biomed themed trips to Newcastle uni ran by my sixth form such as looking at cadavers and doing antibody tests with sheep's blood.

I'm glad I can help!

Woah, guessing you want to do a masters then! How long does it take for an intergrated masters? Also, which uni is your first choice? :smile:
Your GCSEs are amazing, well done! :biggrin:
You have so much extra curricular, I might have to steal a few ideas & I will definitely look at the Nuffield Research Placements :colondollar: So jelous of you work experience in a lab, bet it was amazing! Such a funny story to tell aswell ahaha:biggrin:
Woah, guessing you want to do a masters then! How long does it take for an intergrated masters? Also, which uni is your first choice? :smile:
Your GCSEs are amazing, well done! :biggrin:
You have so much extra curricular, I might have to steal a few ideas & I will definitely look at the Nuffield Research Placements :colondollar: So jelous of you work experience in a lab, bet it was amazing! Such a funny story to tell aswell ahaha:biggrin:

Thanks dude! Although my work experience wasn't technically in the topic I want to go into it was really good!

In England an integrated masters is 4 years but instead of doing a 3 year bachelors then a separate masters it's all shoved into one degree so your masters is covered by student loans. It might be longer in Scotland I think though.

At the minute I'm thinking of firming leeds and putting Sheffield as my insurance but I've got to wait for offers and my school hasn't even finished my references yet lmao.
Thanks dude! Although my work experience wasn't technically in the topic I want to go into it was really good!

In England an integrated masters is 4 years but instead of doing a 3 year bachelors then a separate masters it's all shoved into one degree so your masters is covered by student loans. It might be longer in Scotland I think though.

At the minute I'm thinking of firming leeds and putting Sheffield as my insurance but I've got to wait for offers and my school hasn't even finished my references yet lmao.

Which part do you want to go into? I bet it was still interesting aha:biggrin:
Oh that's so good then! So, will you only get one degree or will it be classed as two? Oh yeah I've been looking at degrees & noticed that there longer in Scotland, do you know why?:smile:
Sounds good & like you've got a plan, I hope you get your choices! :smile:
Which part do you want to go into? I bet it was still interesting aha:biggrin:
Oh that's so good then! So, will you only get one degree or will it be classed as two? Oh yeah I've been looking at degrees & noticed that there longer in Scotland, do you know why?:smile:
Sounds good & like you've got a plan, I hope you get your choices! :smile:

I definitely want to go into medical research but my experience was in quality control. It was still cool but I would've preferred to look at diseases than water samples lmao.

I'm pretty sure an integrated masters is only one degree as far as I know!

Scotland tend to have one year less than English kids in high school and so compensate by having one more year at university (or so I've heard this is why).

I'm really hoping I get them too (totally not dying from the wait or anything,,,) it's just my chemistry teacher from this year who I'm waiting on now. Tbh I don't know if he even knows my name,,, oh well!
I definitely want to go into medical research but my experience was in quality control. It was still cool but I would've preferred to look at diseases than water samples lmao.

I'm pretty sure an integrated masters is only one degree as far as I know!

Scotland tend to have one year less than English kids in high school and so compensate by having one more year at university (or so I've heard this is why).

I'm really hoping I get them too (totally not dying from the wait or anything,,,) it's just my chemistry teacher from this year who I'm waiting on now. Tbh I don't know if he even knows my name,,, oh well!

Yeah I can see where your coming from definitely think medical research is better than quality control
:wink: At least you got the experience to put on ucas though :dontknow:

Aw aha I know what you mean I swear it takes some teachers an awfully long time to learn names I mean it surely isn't that hard :biggrin: I hope your chemistry teacher sorts it out :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending