The Student Room Group

Student finance not being fair at all

They are really not doing the job properly on there end and it has stressed me so much. Basically I have applied for student finance on basis of having spent half of my life living continuously in the UK. I arrived in 2003 and have not left the county ever since. Home office granted me leave to remain on terms that I had spent half of my life in the UK living continuously without any breaks. I submitted application in August and have been asked for every single evidence and I have sent over three folders of evidence but everything is still insufficient. I covered all dates and I was only 11 when I came into the county and now I am 25 so you can imagine how much evidence I have from when I was 13 14 and I have given all sorts of evidence such as school reports letters college letters primary school letter exam results gcse a levels home office correspondence work letters nhs hmrc bank statements and have given some sort of evidence for every year they asked for and yet I am being delayed for approval. I have sent the most important letter which was an original home office letters which was dated 2013 and stated that I was between age of 18 and 25 and had spent half of my life living continuously in the UK. And even that letter which was signed stamped and original along with much other evidence was not sufficient enough????!!!! Hello the highest authority has confirmed what you are asking for in the letter then why the hell am I being delayed.. this is seriously unfair and just a drama and saying things like we need dates on school reports which were signed by every teacher and dated aswell but even that they said was not good enough! I had sent the home office decision letters which stated I have spent half of my life in UK what else could they possibly want from me??? Now I’m being asked to send more documents and I have put in a complaint which I get a reply back in 2 more weeks and now my tution fees is due and I live in private property and only working part time I can’t even pay in full and also be able to eat for the month! This is getting me so stressed and I can’t even sleep. I have been been truthful to student finance and have sent in so much home office correspondence which answers what they are looking for and yet I am being played to just call it quits and not finally be able to go uni.. this is sad
Reply 1
Also if anyone has had similar experience and finally got the honest reply from them and got the application approved do let me know the hell you went through to get all this done. Also if anyone has knowledge of what complaints team will do for me now?
Reply 2
Hi, there I am a UK resident with leave to remain status. I arrived in the UK in 2000. I sent them my original passport and residence card, which they send back to me and they approved my application. I am sorry to hear that they are giving you the run around, I too have experience this with other grants I applied for and waiting time just to get through to them is ridiculous. This might be a silly question but I didn't see it mentioned in your comment, but have you sent them your passport and permit together because this work for me. If you've done everything you could possibly do, I would advice that you have your university appeal/speak to them on your behalf through SFE's share consent policy. So if you call sfe and give them details of a staff membe from your university(student services) that can speak to them on your behalf maybe they will be able to get some clarity on the situation and push the application for you and of course confirm your status etc.. hope this helps.
Original post by mab9202
They are really not doing the job properly on there end and it has stressed me so much. Basically I have applied for student finance on basis of having spent half of my life living continuously in the UK. I arrived in 2003 and have not left the county ever since. Home office granted me leave to remain on terms that I had spent half of my life in the UK living continuously without any breaks. I submitted application in August and have been asked for every single evidence and I have sent over three folders of evidence but everything is still insufficient. I covered all dates and I was only 11 when I came into the county and now I am 25 so you can imagine how much evidence I have from when I was 13 14 and I have given all sorts of evidence such as school reports letters college letters primary school letter exam results gcse a levels home office correspondence work letters nhs hmrc bank statements and have given some sort of evidence for every year they asked for and yet I am being delayed for approval. I have sent the most important letter which was an original home office letters which was dated 2013 and stated that I was between age of 18 and 25 and had spent half of my life living continuously in the UK. And even that letter which was signed stamped and original along with much other evidence was not sufficient enough????!!!! Hello the highest authority has confirmed what you are asking for in the letter then why the hell am I being delayed.. this is seriously unfair and just a drama and saying things like we need dates on school reports which were signed by every teacher and dated aswell but even that they said was not good enough! I had sent the home office decision letters which stated I have spent half of my life in UK what else could they possibly want from me??? Now I’m being asked to send more documents and I have put in a complaint which I get a reply back in 2 more weeks and now my tution fees is due and I live in private property and only working part time I can’t even pay in full and also be able to eat for the month! This is getting me so stressed and I can’t even sleep. I have been been truthful to student finance and have sent in so much home office correspondence which answers what they are looking for and yet I am being played to just call it quits and not finally be able to go uni.. this is sad

Hi mab9202,

I am sorry that you are frustrated with the progress of your Student Finance application.

There are a number of common factors with residency evidence, such as requiring exact dates and specific acceptable documentation. If there is any uncertainty around exactly what is required to have your application approved one of our telephone advisors should be able to talk you through acceptable evidence.
This will not change how we process and the timescale in which your evidence will be processed, but the best advice I can give is to find out what evidence we need and once it's received it may be worthwhile speaking to a manager to discuss your options.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 4
But I have submitted every single document that I have and every piece of paper and even with all that I have also given an original documentation from home office confirming me having spent half life in the uk! What else could they want I have exhausted all my options and this is just not fair! If you read the question properly you would understand I have exhausted all the paper work and sent a big folder with everything and have nothing else left!!
Which way do it take now! Why can’t they just read the letter that I was given from home office which clearly says I have spent half of my life here in the uk! Whyyyyy is this being played around like I am lying and home office is lying too???
Original post by mab9202
But I have submitted every single document that I have and every piece of paper and even with all that I have also given an original documentation from home office confirming me having spent half life in the uk! What else could they want I have exhausted all my options and this is just not fair! If you read the question properly you would understand I have exhausted all the paper work and sent a big folder with everything and have nothing else left!!
Which way do it take now! Why can’t they just read the letter that I was given from home office which clearly says I have spent half of my life here in the uk! Whyyyyy is this being played around like I am lying and home office is lying too???

Hi Mab9202,

I did see that you have mentioned you have sent all the paperwork that you have.

The only way for you to find out exactly what is required is by speaking to one of our advisors and asking that exact question, we are required by Government to request very specific evidence, it is not in any way questioning the individuals right to be in the UK, we simply must ensure that we are able to capture all of the information that the UK Government requires us to gather.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 6
But the UK government who granted me permission to stay in this country for the past 15 years with me being now 25 and I have letters from the UK GOVERNMENT stating the exact thing that student finance is asking for. And so can you explain to me how it makes sense to you but without beating around the bush and just regurgitating the same protocolic line over and over again. what exactly is government in your opinion when I have given all the correspondence from home office which states I was here for half of my life???
Reply 7
Hi Dee,

I have sent my biometric residence petit and passport and every single document I had and even letters from home office confirming I have spent half of my life in the country but nothing seems to get through to these guys.. I will go speak to uni tomorrow as my rent is due and I have no money left and I am just running around asking questions that I already have answers for but student finances still believes they aren’t sufficient... what can I do? This is just so unfair...
Hi Mab9202,

My name is Gerard and I manage our Social Media support team. We are here to provide general guidance and support, I appreciate that this can be a frustrating process however as Louise has made clear, we would recommend that you call our advisors who will be able to provide you with the specific guidance you require if you are unsure of what else is required.

Thank you,

Gerard.

Telephone: 0300 100 0607
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 4pm
Reply 9
Hi Gerard,

Thanks for your prompt reply.. I just wanted to say that I appreciate what you just said.. but student finance advisors have given me all sorts of wrong advice and they are useless to speak to because they read of a script most of the time and just read what the system say and for them it’s a simple.. the computer says no... so how do I get in touch with the manager because every time I asked for a manager to speak to I was told that they can’t pass me on to manager because manager won’t speak to anyone and only advisors can speak to me.. I’m glad you and Louise answers my question and gave me clear concise answer.. really appreciate that Gerrard..
Hi,

I would recommend calling our Complaints Line which is 0300 100 0601.

If you provide the advisor with your reference, go through the security process and advise them that you would like to speak to a manager. At this time of the day they may only be able to offer you a call back within 24 hours.

Alternatively, if you call tomorrow morning and ask to speak to someone straight away, they will attempt where possible to provide you with a manager to speak to immediately. If that is not possible they will ensure you are provided with a call back within the 24 hour period.

Thanks,

Gerard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending