The Student Room Group

Ignorant roommate with her alarms, help!

So I live in a shared room with this girl. She has a very lazy ass to wake up. I mean, I understand when you are alone in your own room at home and set 7 alarms, cause you can afford sleeping trough all of them - that's fine. But when i have a lecture at 1pm, and she sets her 5 alarms at 8am (which, not to mention, are super loud), sleeps till the last one.. At the end i'm awake as well, when i could afford to sleep at least 2 more hours. It's just really annoying, unthoughtful and selfish of her.. Is it possible to solve this problem in a friendly way? I asked her kindly twice to make it 2 alarms, or try to wake up on the firsts ones, but she claims she would sleep through and miss the lectures. Also, on the second-third alarm i usually try waking her up by shouting at her, but she still keeps sleeping..
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1. Don't live in a shared room with someone else.

2. 8am isn't even early.

3. Buy earplugs.
To be honest, alarms at times that annoy you are something you just have to put up with in a shared room. 8am is actually a pretty good time to get up - you could get a couple of hours work done before your lecture.
1. 8 am it's kinda early when you go to sleep at 3 am
2. For this year i have agreement to live in a shared room.
3. I have earplugs, they don't help, her alarms are the loudest ones+vibration
Well yeah, i guess i have to deal with it myself.. But maybe anyone had a similar problem?
LOL at those saying 8am is early.

Any time before you're due to wake up is early, I completely understand OP's frustration, especially if s/he is able to afford a couple more hours in bed. Setting five different alarms and letting them ring is definitely excessive, personally I'd reiterate to the roommate that they are disrupting you're sleep, hopefully they understand.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by waiduokliuke
So I live in a shared room with this girl. She has a very lazy ass to wake up. I mean, I understand when you are alone in your own room at home and set 7 alarms, cause you can afford sleeping trough all of them - that's fine. But when i have a lecture at 1pm, and she sets her 5 alarms at 8am (which, not to mention, are super loud), sleeps till the last one.. At the end i'm awake as well, when i could afford to sleep at least 2 more hours. It's just really annoying, unthoughtful and selfish of her.. Is it possible to solve this problem in a friendly way? I asked her kindly twice to make it 2 alarms, or try to wake up on the firsts ones, but she claims she would sleep through and miss the lectures. Also, on the second-third alarm i usually try waking her up by southing at her, but she still keeps sleeping..

Shared room nightmare

Option 1 earplugs.
Option 2 complain .
Option 3 when it goes off, then jump out of bed go over and shake her to wake her up.

She is the one being unreasonable one or two alarms is enough. Waiting till 5 have one up even if awake is taking the peas and not on. The compromise is one r two. I wouldnt put up with it. Talk to her and if she wont change then do 2 or 3.
Reply 7

Do you really have to go to bed at 3 am?

That isn't her fault, it is perfectly reasonable to have alarms go off for 8am as it isn't early in the day though, it is roughly the normal time people do get up. If it was a weekend then I would say it was a bit early but in the week it is a perfectly reasonable time.
Original post by DisKosh
Do you really have to go to bed at 3 am?

I don't usually go that late, but i'm a graphic designer, that explains a lot i guess.. :biggrin: Not to mention, when i went to sleep, she was still out somewhere (i always go to sleep earlier than her)
Original post by madmadmax321
That isn't her fault, it is perfectly reasonable to have alarms go off for 8am as it isn't early in the day though, it is roughly the normal time people do get up. If it was a weekend then I would say it was a bit early but in the week it is a perfectly reasonable time.

Is 5-7 alarms also a perfectly reasonable thing? :biggrin:
Reply 11

Some people take longer to wake up than others.

Yep, I'm a very heavy sleeper and wouldn't be able to get to uni on time if I didn't set multiple alarms.
Nope 8am is not early. Most people are at work or going to work or getting ready to start their day at that time. Go to bed earlier than 3am. What could you possibly be doing that means you cannot go to sleep at 11pm-midnight? Do you have a job where you work at night or something? Do you have insomnia?

Sure, the alarms are loud and irritating but you have to put up with the other person's noise in a shared room.

Get some ear plugs. There are really good quality ones you can buy. I've just ordered some ear plugs which my dad's colleague uses when riding his motorbike. If they cut out most of the noise from a loud motorbike travelling 70mph, then they can cut out the noise of a few alarms.

However, 5 alarms is excessive. She needs to see her doctor about her struggle to wake up. What if there was a fire in the room and she can't wake up to the smoke alarm? Definitely talk to her but be more insistent.

A lot of people use 5 alarms so yeah, the only thing you can do is ask her to use 1/2 alarms (which I think is fine to ask). If she says that is fine then great but if she doesnt (which would be *****y of her) then you're just going to have to live with it and then remember not to have a shared room next year.

To be fair though, I don't think the issue here is her getting up at 8am - rather the way and noise she is making when trying to do so - and it seems going on what the OP has put, it takes her well beyond that to even get up.

I feel mentioning it casually in a conversation wouldn't be too bad.
Reply 16

Lol its not when you need to get up for 12pm and not 8am.

Anyway don't live in a shared room. No idea why you would do that to yourself.
Original post by liamjoseph
To be fair though, I don't think the issue here is her getting up at 8am - rather the way and noise she is making when trying to do so - and it seems going on what the OP has put, it takes her well beyond that to even get up.

I feel mentioning it casually in a conversation wouldn't be too bad.

You are right. It's like if it would be 6 am, it would be the same thing! Time is not my problem, it's just how we deal with it.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Lol its not when you need to get up for 12pm and not 8am.

Anyway don't live in a shared room. No idea why you would do that to yourself.

Yesss, thank you!!
Although 8am isn't that early to get up, setting 5 alarms is a bit selfish of her when she know's you won't be up in time. Doe's she wake up and snooze the alarms or does it take her till the 5th alarm that she is awake? Maybe talk to her about it and try to explain that you need more sleep and setting 5 alarm's is a bit selfish of her.

Quick Reply

Latest