The Student Room Group

Taxation is theft

Scroll to see replies

Taxation is theft is an oft repeated statement particularly among earnest young virginal things getting their first bite of political philosophy.

Of course such people make no attempt to avoid benefiting from this theft by not using public services. That is why they are taken as seriously as someone preaching veganism while eating a steak.
Reply 21
Original post by Quantex
Taxation is theft is an oft repeated statement particularly among earnest young virginal things getting their first bite of political philosophy.

Of course such people make no attempt to avoid benefiting from this theft by not using public services. That is why they are taken as seriously as someone preaching veganism while eating a steak.

Ad Hominem.
tough, if you want to live in a democracy, you take the good with the bad of majority rules.

feel free to move to the middle of now where or somalia which has 0 tax.

I know people who have worked in tax free/low tax countries, you only end up being better off if you no children. Once you have a family the additional costs of school, and healthcare wipes out any savings from lower tax.

Also tax free havens tend to have super high rents, so your unlikely to ever own a home
Reply 23
Original post by hannah00
tough, if you want to live in a democracy, you take the good with the bad of majority rules.

feel free to move to the middle of now where or somalia which has 0 tax.

I know people who have worked in tax free/low tax countries, you only end up being better off if you no children. Once you have a family the additional costs of school, and healthcare wipes out any savings from lower tax.

Also tax free havens tend to have super high rents, so your unlikely to ever own a home

Good place for a landlord, then.
Original post by job321
Good place for a landlord, then.

well its good to be landlord anywhere. High rents just means you have a high mortgage, so unless you bought the property pre boom times, your not much better off than buying a property in london or new york.

You judge how good a place is based on how well the majority of people would do
Reply 25
Ignoring the fact that you're obviously a delusional troll...

Taxation is not theft because it is imposed by the leaders of a representative democracy. Want less tax? Vote for someone who will give it to you.
We tax everyone because not everyone can pay for the services they need: IMO taxing a guy who earns 500k a year to pay for the cancer treatment of a veteran on job seekers seems pretty fair and reasonable to me.
Taxation does fit four of the five requirements for theft but as others have said, it’s a necessary evil at least to some extent. While I don’t disagree with taxing people, I disagreeing with the extent to which the wealthy are taxed
Original post by JackHarley
We tax everyone because not everyone can pay for the services they need: IMO taxing a guy who earns 500k a year to pay for the cancer treatment of a veteran on job seekers seems pretty fair and reasonable to me.

You are getting warm. War is funded by taxation.
Original post by Dheorl
Ignoring the fact that you're obviously a delusional troll...

Taxation is not theft because it is imposed by the leaders of a representative democracy. Want less tax? Vote for someone who will give it to you.

I will. The BNP wants to abolish income tax and replace with a sales tax.
(edited 6 years ago)
This is usually troted out by the right who for some reason feel that the government taking money from their pay packet is a moral outrage but employers profiting from the surplus value created by their labour should be congratulated by everybody.
Reply 31
Original post by bobbles321
I will. The BNP wants to abolish income tax and replace with a sales tax.

Good, if people stop voting for what they actually want then democracy starts to fail.
It is true that if you give a politician $1, he/she will immediately spend it, and come back for 10 more. Taxation is, however, not direct theft [IMHO]. Direct theft is government sponsored 'inflation'. WIth this scam, the 'government' borrows money from the taxpayers, with a promise to pay it back with interest. Over the term of the loan, the government deliberately devalues the money, so that it pays back the loan with currency of much less value than what it was originally loaned. THEN, in addition, it demands that the lender pay taxes on the 'gain' realised from lending the money to the government. The result can easily be an overall reduction of the amount lent below its original value. If the interest paid is on the order of 3% annually [typical today], and the [real] inflation rate is - in contrast to the 'official' rate of 5 to 7%, the actual rate of 12% to 18%, the lender, who trustingly put some of his/her retirement money into government bonds, is faced with an actual loss of 10% or more. IMHO, that is REAL theft, and it is being practised by all governments today, with their "fiat" currency. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending