The Student Room Group

What is considered a good graduate salary?

Hello fellow members of TSR, I was wondering what you would consider to be a good graduate salary.

I’ve read that the average graduate salary is 21k. So what would you consider to be good. 25k ? 28k ? 30k? 40k?

Scroll to see replies

Depends mine should be 23kish however a friend at google was told 120k
Reply 2
It all really depends... Take a look at this.
Original post by JustPadz
Hello fellow members of TSR, I was wondering what you would consider to be a good graduate salary.

I’ve read that the average graduate salary is 21k. So what would you consider to be good. 25k ? 28k ? 30k? 40k?

Anything above the living wage. Unless you're coming into the graduate market with actual relevant industry experience, you're likely competing against hundreds if not thousands of other graduates for each individual role.

I ended uni with substantial experience in industry, and despite a mediocre degree result (because of taking the experience as a priority) was employed at a decent level within a fortnight of graduating. Whereas some of my fellow course mates who graduated with brilliant results academically, struggled to get anything industry relevant until as much as 2 years later.
Reply 4
On a graduate scheme, I would consider 30-35k (in London) and 25k+ in other regions to be a good starting salary. Doesnt really say much about the quality of the job though, or the future prospects beyond the scheme.

It depends.

A non-grad scheme job at a smaller to mid size company, can pay as low as £15-20k (especially up north) starting.

On a grad scheme at any normal big company (or professional graduate job like FY1 doctors etc), I'd say literally anything between £22-£35k is normal. With a few outliers at £35-40k.

In elite, high paying roles at top companies, anywhere from £45-90k starting is possible.
Depends on the course/job. If you're an English grad then 25k is great. If you're a chemical engineering grad then that's poor. If you're an engineering grad but you choose to go into teaching then 25k is good again.
Original post by iainvg
Anything above the living wage. Unless you're coming into the graduate market with actual relevant industry experience, you're likely competing against hundreds if not thousands of other graduates for each individual role.

I ended uni with substantial experience in industry, and despite a mediocre degree result (because of taking the experience as a priority) was employed at a decent level within a fortnight of graduating. Whereas some of my fellow course mates who graduated with brilliant results academically, struggled to get anything industry relevant until as much as 2 years later.

Depends on what degree you go into.
Original post by ckfeister
Depends on what degree you go into.

STEM subjects, not so much.

Arts are hugely subjective, and generally not particularly well paid unless applicants are truly exceptional.
Original post by iainvg
STEM subjects, not so much.

Arts are hugely subjective, and generally not particularly well paid unless applicants are truly exceptional.

Depends on which one you go into for STEM
Reply 10

Your starting salary isn't *that* important - it's your progression that matters more :wink:

A good scheme may not pay the most but will provide a foundation of useful work experience/skills and set you up for the next stage in your career path.

NB. And it's usually easier to get the largest salary improvements by changing employer once in a while.
A good salary is one which leaves you with spare money after all living expenses each month
Reply 12
Original post by Ezisola
A good salary is one which leaves you with spare money after all living expenses each month

:yy:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds], nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Texxers
It all really depends... Take a look at this.

How does complementary medicine get on that... gah.

Try this:

Grad earnings by subject - median after 5 years.jpg

NB. *NOT* starting salaries.

Edit: This data only shows PAYE earnings - so self-employed (e.g. creatives and artists) are largely ignored
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Live in the North West so I know the money won't be as good as down South, but I'm aiming to take no lower than 20k. It depends on the company though, if I joined someone well respected with room to grow it'd settle for less

There is no such thing as an across the board "good graduate salary". It will depend on location, i.e. £25k in the North East is probably better than £27.5k in London. It will depend on what you are expected to do for that salary, i.e. yes, you might be on a starting salary of £40k, but are you expected to be in at 7am and leave at 6pm every day?
Original post by Doonesbury
How does complementary medicine get on that... gah.

Try this:

Grad earnings by subject - median after 5 years.jpg

NB. *NOT* starting salaries.

Wow, it’s so depressing seeing your passion as the lowest earning job. :colonhash:
Reply 17
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Wow, it’s so depressing seeing your passion as the lowest earning job. :colonhash:

But you love your job :smile:

And I think creative industry jobs are underreported anyway. Tagging @PQ for thoughts...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jabbathemuttdog

Original post by Doonesbury
But you love your job :smile:

And I think creative industry jobs are underreported anyway. Tagging @PQ for thoughts...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That data only shows PAYE earnings - so all the self employed creatives and artists (which is a good 1/4 to 1/3 if not more) are completely ignored (or only included for their part time job that they use as a backup or to keep busy or to teach etc).
Forget salary, it's not important.

When you start your career, gaining relevant experience in your field is the most important thing.

What good is it earning £25k on a finance grad scheme when you would rather work in media?

That's the decision I faced when I graduated, so I turned it down and took something offering £18k instead.

While I don't earn as much, the smaller company let me take charge of some monthly digital media workshops where I teach fairly large companies (turnover of £100m +) about social media, copywriting and video production.

To me, that experience is worth far more than just coming out of uni on £25k+.

Quick Reply