The Student Room Group

Ignorant roommate with her alarms, help!

Scroll to see replies

ask to switch rooms

ask her to put the alarm right next to her ear

file a compensation claim get her for wasting your time

If all doesn’t worl knock them out. How can one be in uni and still not wake up at the right time for goddess sake. I would smash her alarm or throw it out the window.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Lol its not when you need to get up for 12pm and not 8am.

Anyway don't live in a shared room. No idea why you would do that to yourself.

The op doesnt need to get up for 12pm they choose too. Wanting to not be disturbed until 12pm is much more unreasonable then getting up at 8am like normal people do.
Reply 22
Original post by waiduokliuke
So I live in a shared room with this girl. She has a very lazy ass to wake up. I mean, I understand when you are alone in your own room at home and set 7 alarms, cause you can afford sleeping trough all of them - that's fine. But when i have a lecture at 1pm, and she sets her 5 alarms at 8am (which, not to mention, are super loud), sleeps till the last one.. At the end i'm awake as well, when i could afford to sleep at least 2 more hours. It's just really annoying, unthoughtful and selfish of her.. Is it possible to solve this problem in a friendly way? I asked her kindly twice to make it 2 alarms, or try to wake up on the firsts ones, but she claims she would sleep through and miss the lectures. Also, on the second-third alarm i usually try waking her up by shouting at her, but she still keeps sleeping..

Cockslap her in the morning it has proven results for effectiveness in waking up.

-mymumissexy
People are missing the point its not about 8am its about:

Multiple alarms. 5 is ridiculous.
Co existing and having consideration for a room mate.
So I live in a shared room with this girl. She has a very lazy ass to wake up. I mean, I understand when you are alone in your own room at home and set 7 alarms, cause you can afford sleeping trough all of them - that's fine. But when i have a lecture at 1pm, and she sets her 5 alarms at 8am (which, not to mention, are super loud), sleeps till the last one.. At the end i'm awake as well, when i could afford to sleep at least 2 more hours. It's just really annoying, unthoughtful and selfish of her.. Is it possible to solve this problem in a friendly way? I asked her kindly twice to make it 2 alarms, or try to wake up on the firsts ones, but she claims she would sleep through and miss the lectures. Also, on the second-third alarm i usually try waking her up by shouting at her, but she still keeps sleeping..

If your university put you together with this stranger, I would complain to the University for not doing more to match you before they put you in a shared room. You never know, there might be sharers elsewhere experiencing the same problem and they could put the night owls and the early birds together. And if you're really lucky they might find you a single room somewhere.:smile:
1. 8 am it's kinda early when you go to sleep at 3 am
2. For this year i have agreement to live in a shared room.
3. I have earplugs, they don't help, her alarms are the loudest ones+vibration

Why are you going to sleep at 3am? Surely she's being kept up by you awake till that time?

Unfortunately it's just something you'll have to put up with for living in a shared room, unless you want to ask if they can move you.

I think the best thing to do is sort out her alarm clock / waking situation.

Clearly, she wants to get up but feels she has to put a bunch of different fail safes to make sure she does.

Suggest she downloads an app like 90night, which will work out the best time for her to set her alarm based on her sleep cycle.
Make sure she includes the setting that takes into account 15 minutes to fall asleep.

Pair that with an an app called 'Alarmy' which will continue making noise until she solves some math problems or something.
With these two combined, she will get enough sleep and only ever need one alarm to wake up in the mornings.

You can thank me in cookies, please send them to my address in China, cheers!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
I have two alarms, and if i'm particularly tired ..sometimes even the two alarms is not enough

I never used to be like this though........

OP I feel for you, ..but I don't really think there's much else you can do. The girl wants all her alarms. I think you should try and move out if it's that much of a problem......
She's definitely being selfish here. I have the same issue with my partner - he likes to have several alarms at various intervals over 1 hour or more before he gets up. I'm awake as soon as the first alarm goes off so it drives me mad. We found a compromise though, he sets less alarms and makes the first ones quieter and has vibrate on with the phone under his pillow so the vibrate wakes him up. 8am isn't crazy early but frankly it would be annoying if I was awake already to have 5 different loud noises at regular intervals and it's totally unnecessary. Anyone who says they 'need' 5 alarms is just lazy, if you're awake enough to turn the first one off then you're awake enough to stand up and once you're stood up you won't fall asleep again.

Talk to her again about it and ask her to reduce it to two and force herself to get up. If not you could try forcing her to get up after 1-2 alarms by going over and yelling at her/shaking her/tipping water on her etc until she decides it's more effort than it's worth to set so many alarms and stops. Or you could try setting you own alarms at inconsiderate times. The simplest thing would be ear plugs and go to bed early enough that 8am isn't so painful.
Original post by Paracosm
Yep, I'm a very heavy sleeper and wouldn't be able to get to uni on time if I didn't set multiple alarms.

Don't you people realise that if you set one alarm it will go off ten minutes later anyway because of the snooze function?
Original post by HoldThisL
Don't you people realise that if you set one alarm it will go off ten minutes later anyway because of the snooze function?

That's not how it works for heavy sleepers. Eventually a snoozed alarm times out anyway.
Original post by doodle_333
She's definitely being selfish here. I have the same issue with my partner - he likes to have several alarms at various intervals over 1 hour or more before he gets up. I'm awake as soon as the first alarm goes off so it drives me mad. We found a compromise though, he sets less alarms and makes the first ones quieter and has vibrate on with the phone under his pillow so the vibrate wakes him up. 8am isn't crazy early but frankly it would be annoying if I was awake already to have 5 different loud noises at regular intervals and it's totally unnecessary. Anyone who says they 'need' 5 alarms is just lazy, if you're awake enough to turn the first one off then you're awake enough to stand up and once you're stood up you won't fall asleep again.

I do the exact same thing with my phone, 3 alarms at 15-minute intervals and leaving it under my pillow.
(edited 6 years ago)
On TSR today: My roommate is so ignorant!

Actual post: My roommate sets a lot of alarms at a reasonable time

Hmm
I have a sports watch that I wear on my wrist to bed which only vibrates to wake me up. You can set more than one alarm too. If your roommate is into sports then you could suggest that they buy one of these or ask for one for Christmas. Mine was about £160 but I'm sure you can find one for much cheaper if she will only use it for an alarm.
Original post by Emsio8
I have a sports watch that I wear on my wrist to bed which only vibrates to wake me up. You can set more than one alarm too. If your roommate is into sports then you could suggest that they buy one of these or ask for one for Christmas. Mine was about £160 but I'm sure you can find one for much cheaper if she will only use it for an alarm.

You can pick Fitbits up for less than that which also have the vibrate alarm function.
Original post by Tiger Rag
You can pick Fitbits up for less than that which also have the vibrate alarm function.

Exactly. I think this could be a good solution.

I suffer with insomnia, and I need at least 5 alarms to officially wake me up. However, 8am isn't early, and you should endeavour looking into getting something to help you sleep earlier to solve your tiredness. I'm sorry to hear you're going through a hard time, I'm a first year student too & understand the complications of living in a share accommodation. Just speak to her with an understanding manor and I'm sure your problem will be finally resolve.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 37
Just wake up before her one day and switch off all her alarms. Maybe she'll get the message to be a little more considerate. If not then tell her the next time they are going out the window.
You could recommend the Sonic Boom Alarm clock to your roommate. It's an alarm clock designed with heavy sleepers (and deaf people) in mind.

I would be petty and do the same thing. Make 7 alarms at 6am everyday until she mentions it and then tell her that she does the same thing.

Quick Reply

Latest