The Student Room Group

Child nursing pause year-

I have been told by my head of department that i must take a pause year from my second year of child nursing because a mentor from community placement was concern about my emotionally well being. I have to have a occupational health appointment before i can return to placement, due to the time it takes to have the assessment done and the report to be written i have been given no choice but to take a pause year. I feel that this isn't right. I have passed all placements and have had positive feedback from all mentors from year 1 and year 2. Why should one mentors opinion of me decided my progression on the course. I currently have 1 1/2 of make up days from year one to complete due to health issues. I have contacted the University to ask this question but they have said because of having time off before due to health issues and having the outstanding 1 1/2 days together with this mentors comments on my well being is the reason why i must have the OH and the pause year. I have always been open and honest with the university about my health issues and i know feel that they are using this against me. I just wanted to see if anyone else had come across this problem before ?
Original post by Childnursing2016
I have been told by my head of department that i must take a pause year from my second year of child nursing because a mentor from community placement was concern about my emotionally well being. I have to have a occupational health appointment before i can return to placement, due to the time it takes to have the assessment done and the report to be written i have been given no choice but to take a pause year. I feel that this isn't right. I have passed all placements and have had positive feedback from all mentors from year 1 and year 2. Why should one mentors opinion of me decided my progression on the course. I currently have 1 1/2 of make up days from year one to complete due to health issues. I have contacted the University to ask this question but they have said because of having time off before due to health issues and having the outstanding 1 1/2 days together with this mentors comments on my well being is the reason why i must have the OH and the pause year. I have always been open and honest with the university about my health issues and i know feel that they are using this against me. I just wanted to see if anyone else had come across this problem before ?

Ultimately it is the decision of the university. You could ask to see the policy which governs this, and see if there is an appeals process or an opportunity for a proper hearing where you can put across your side of the story. You might also benefit from discussing this with your student union as they are likely the best people to advise. You would need to have suitable grounds for this e.g. your mentor was incompetent, or prejudiced against you in some way. It can be hard to prove because it's your word against hers.

Quick Reply

Latest