The Student Room Group

Gap year A-level

Can I do an A-level in my gap year?

As in, not go to a school, but do the exam (at a centre)?
I believe it is possible, though maybe difficult.
Have you had a change of career path?
Reply 2
Original post by TeacupAndTragedy
I believe it is possible, though maybe difficult.
Have you had a change of career path?

nah i might want 2 resit an alevel exam or do another a level, most likely a re-sit for a new spec
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
You can. You just need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate. The simplest and cheapest option is almost certainly where you took your A levels so ask them first. The entry deadline is 21 February at the exam board but centres will have earlier deadlines to ensure they have time to process all the entries and submit them before 21 Feb.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
You can. You just need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate. The simplest and cheapest option is almost certainly where you took your A levels so ask them first. The entry deadline is 21 February at the exam board but centres will have earlier deadlines to ensure they have time to process all the entries and submit them before 21 Feb.

so during my gap year in 2018, if i apply before 21 feb to a centre, i can do the a-level exams for, let's say, business or history
Reply 5
Original post by jimmorrison
so during my gap year in 2018, if i apply before 21 feb to a centre, i can do the a-level exams for, let's say, business or history

Yes but not that many centres accept private candidates so you need to get looking a fair bit earlier than that (e.g. December) to find one at a reasonable price near you. It will be very hard to find somewhere that would let you redo the NEA (i.e. coursework) but you can just carry that forward and resit all the exams.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
Yes but not that many centres accept private candidates so you need to get looking a fair bit earlier than that (e.g. December) to find one at a reasonable price near you. It will be very hard to find somewhere that would let you redo the NEA (i.e. coursework) but you can just carry that forward and resit all the exams.

and how do i find a centre? do i contact the school i am at for example or is there a website or something
Reply 7
Original post by jimmorrison
and how do i find a centre? do i contact the school i am at for example or is there a website or something

ASk the school you're at. If they won't let you sit exams there then look on the AQA and Edexcel exam board websites for their advice to private candidates - centres that will accept private candidates for either of these exam boards will almost certainly also accept them for OCR (which doesn't list possible centres on their website). Or ask for suggestions near you on here.

Quick Reply