The Student Room Group

I have the opportunity to work abroad, but I don't want to - is this weird?

I have a TESOL qualification which means I am qualified to teach non-English speakers, English. I am qualified to go abroad and teach English, but I don't want to.

I graduated in July and I'm struggling to find a job, my friends from the course keep telling me I should go abroad whilst I have the opportunity. I want to teach English here, just not abroad... The long contracts put me off and it's just not something that interests me.

Everyone keeps saying I should do this whilst I have the opportunity, but I just don't want to go abroad. Am I making a big mistake here? People always say they'd love to live abroad, whereas I have the opportunity and I'm not taking it.
Living and working in a new country is scary and challenging especially when the native language is different to your own. For some it's exciting but for others, like you, it's scary. You aren't making a mistake and it's not weird for you to turn it down. Do what you want
Well you don't need to have a long contract to teach abroad. I teach English as a freelancer. You can also try it out short term somewhere which isn't crazy expensive (i.e. in Europe) to get to so that you're not taking a huge risk. That said, there's no reason to force yourself to do it if you're not interested. Living abroad isn't some idyllic dream, it's hard work and stressful and lonely and you're not likely to be making amazing money. So if it's not a dream you don't have to force yourself to do it.
Original post by doodle_333
Well you don't need to have a long contract to teach abroad. I teach English as a freelancer. You can also try it out short term somewhere which isn't crazy expensive (i.e. in Europe) to get to so that you're not taking a huge risk. That said, there's no reason to force yourself to do it if you're not interested. Living abroad isn't some idyllic dream, it's hard work and stressful and lonely and you're not likely to be making amazing money. So if it's not a dream you don't have to force yourself to do it.

I agree with what your saying but just remember once an opportunity is gone its gone so make sure you have no regrets.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Living and working in a new country is scary and challenging especially when the native language is different to your own. For some it's exciting but for others, like you, it's scary. You aren't making a mistake and it's not weird for you to turn it down. Do what you want

It's not so much that I'm scared, it just doesn't internet me. But then I feel why doesn't it interest me? Surely it should interest me? Who doesn't want to live in the sunshine and try something new...?

Original post by doodle_333

I've tried looking at short-term contracts, and I can't find anything less than 6 months? How do you work find living abroad? Do you think it's weird that I don't want to go abroad?

Original post by The Wise
I agree with what your saying but just remember once an opportunity is gone its gone so make sure you have no regrets.

That's the problem, I feel like I will regret it a lot in the future. But at the moment I have no interest in going abroad...
That's the problem, I feel like I will regret it a lot in the future. But at the moment I have no interest in going abroad...

Well why not try it. I know you have no interest but 6 months isn't a long time to try something new. That way you can make a decision and you wont feel like you have wasted an opportunity
Reply 6
Another way of looking at it is, what will you do within next 6 months? Looking back after, which decision would you regret most about? If you are staying back, how is likely your foreseen future to unfold? Is it seem to be better than giving a shot to a new experience? When I don't have motivation, that's kind of approach I try to take. Plus even if you are not interested now, deep inside you will have certain sense of satisfaction, because you are thinking it is weird not to want to go abroad at the first place. I assume you do want to go abroad, or at least want to want to go abroad. Otherwise you would not be asking this question.
Reply 7

Well why not try it. I know you have no interest but 6 months isn't a long time to try something new. That way you can make a decision and you wont feel like you have wasted an opportunity

You are right, it's a matter of motivating myself to do something I have interest in...?

Original post by swarry
Another way of looking at it is, what will you do within next 6 months? Looking back after, which decision would you regret most about? If you are staying back, how is likely your foreseen future to unfold? Is it seem to be better than giving a shot to a new experience? When I don't have motivation, that's kind of approach I try to take. Plus even if you are not interested now, deep inside you will have certain sense of satisfaction, because you are thinking it is weird not to want to go abroad at the first place. I assume you do want to go abroad, or at least want to want to go abroad. Otherwise you would not be asking this question.

This made me laugh, because your perspective is right... I think the issue is I don't know where I see myself in the future, I'm looking at jobs right now, so I'm unsure where exactly I will be. It could be the case that I'm working for some big company and happy or it could be the other way...

I think the reason I'm asking is because everyone on my course was always going on about going abroad, yet many aren't but some want to. It felt like the norm that after we'd finished the course we'd go abroad - that is why I'm asking if it's weird.

I just feel like I'm at a cross roads with the whole situation. :frown:
Original post by >Username<

You are right, it's a matter of motivating myself to do something I have interest in...?

This made me laugh, because your perspective is right... I think the issue is I don't know where I see myself in the future, I'm looking at jobs right now, so I'm unsure where exactly I will be. It could be the case that I'm working for some big company and happy or it could be the other way...

I think the reason I'm asking is because everyone on my course was always going on about going abroad, yet many aren't but some want to. It felt like the norm that after we'd finished the course we'd go abroad - that is why I'm asking if it's weird.

I just feel like I'm at a cross roads with the whole situation. :frown:

Think about it with a rational mind and ignore the fact of you being scared of going to a new country and what not. Weigh up the pros and cons of either going or staying then you will find your answer.

True. But some things aren't for everyone. There are plenty of things I haven't done because I just don't want to and I don't think my life is lacking in any way. The only thing is to be sure you're deciding based on what you like rather than fear or something. I'd generally say to try things but moving abroad costs money and while the worst thing is you move back home again you could lose money and time and stuff.

Original post by >Username<
It's not so much that I'm scared, it just doesn't internet me. But then I feel why doesn't it interest me? Surely it should interest me? Who doesn't want to live in the sunshine and try something new...?

I've tried looking at short-term contracts, and I can't find anything less than 6 months? How do you work find living abroad? Do you think it's weird that I don't want to go abroad?

As I said, I work freelance (therefore choose my hours and can leave when I want to) and the contracted staff I know are on rolling contracts (so can leave any month they like). Different countries are different though, maybe you're looking at places which only offer long term stuff. I only really know the market where I'm living. I don't think it's weird you don't want to go. It's a good experience, I'm learning a language and challenging myself but TBH it's not groundbreaking. My life is actually fairly similar to in the UK, I still cook, clean, work out, do hobbies etc.
Reply 10
Teaching English abroad is a fantastic opportunity to see the world, meet new friends, make good money, and get out of your comfort zone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending