The Student Room Group

LNAT Score

Hey guys!

So currently I am preparing for my LNATs which is in 4 days (17th October- so nervous!) and I've been doing some past papers as well as sample tests from the Mark Shepherd book.

For the Mark Shepherd book I've gotten around 27-30 (mostly around 27/28 with the odd 30) and for the past paper I did I too got around 27.

The past paper was the first paper I did and I'm just anxious that I haven't improved at all. I do realise that it is an aptitude test and that there's no real way to "get better". But I have heard people doing significantly much better after practice. This doesn't seem to be the case for me and I'm getting a little anxious.

I've applied to Oxford, UCL and KCL (along with two other non-LNAT schools). From what I gathered, Oxford and UCL (my top two schools) has an average of around 28-30 for successful applicants which I have been getting but I am a little worried since I am really on the border.

Other aspects of my application include:
- 44/45 in IB (776 at HL, 777 at SL, A in TOK and EE)
- 7 A*s and 2 As in IGCSE
(and an alright personal statement I would say)

Oh I'm also an international applicant if it matters! Thank you all for your help.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I am taking the LNAT on the 17th too and I am scared! We are getting fairly similar results - I have taken the 2 in the Shepherd book (30 and 29) and took the 1st online sample paper yesterday and got 29. Feel fairly average! In reality though, we both already have very high grades to date and our scores are still very high and much above the cut-off points; hopefully on the day we will do well. Your scores are not bad at all - the average person that gets an offer to study law at Oxford is not just any average person, they are exceptional so you are doing well! Don't worry and good luck to the both of us!
Original post by student27839
I am taking the LNAT on the 17th too and I am scared! We are getting fairly similar results - I have taken the 2 in the Shepherd book (30 and 29) and took the 1st online sample paper yesterday and got 29. Feel fairly average! In reality though, we both already have very high grades to date and our scores are still very high and much above the cut-off points; hopefully on the day we will do well. Your scores are not bad at all - the average person that gets an offer to study law at Oxford is not just any average person, they are exceptional so you are doing well! Don't worry and good luck to the both of us!

Hi! Wow, you have fantastic LNAT scores! Way better than mine at least. Honestly I'm so anxious about it considering I absolutely cannot focus for all 12 extracts. I feel drained around the 8th and at that point I've started just skimming and not fully reading. I hope the adrenaline and stuff in the real exam would prevent this though! Good luck for the actual test :smile: I'm sure you'll smash it.

Just out of curiosity what other schools have you applied to?
Original post by infiinitee_
Hi! Wow, you have fantastic LNAT scores! Way better than mine at least. Honestly I'm so anxious about it considering I absolutely cannot focus for all 12 extracts. I feel drained around the 8th and at that point I've started just skimming and not fully reading. I hope the adrenaline and stuff in the real exam would prevent this though! Good luck for the actual test :smile: I'm sure you'll smash it.

Just out of curiosity what other schools have you applied to?

I can completely relate! I start skimming too as it just goes on for so long! I've been practicing MC and essay completely separately so god knows how exhausted I'll be after the actual exam. I'm applying for Oxford, UCL, KCL, LSE and Manchester, fingers crossed! Would be happy at any honestly.
Original post by student27839
I can completely relate! I start skimming too as it just goes on for so long! I've been practicing MC and essay completely separately so god knows how exhausted I'll be after the actual exam. I'm applying for Oxford, UCL, KCL, LSE and Manchester, fingers crossed! Would be happy at any honestly.

OMG saaame :frown: The paper just seems so long- 2 and 1/4 hours. I'm hoping that there will be questions titles which I can actually write about in the exam as I am basically completely baffled by the scope of the questions in the Mark Shepard book. I heard UCL and Oxford weigh the essay pretty seriously and that's why I'm so nervous

We're pretty much applying to the same school- asides from Manchester :smile: Good luck for your applications and the LNATs!
HiiiSo you have done your test... can i ask ho much did you score in the real test. I'm so nervous My test is on 26th.
Original post by kami henna
HiiiSo you have done your test... can i ask ho much did you score in the real test. I'm so nervous My test is on 26th.

Hi yup I did the test on the 17th. I don't know my score as candidates aren't given their scores until about Feb so :/ But I felt it was pretty hard for the MCQ so :/
Reply 7
Hi yup I did the test on the 17th. I don't know my score as candidates aren't given their scores until about Feb so :/ But I felt it was pretty hard for the MCQ so :/

What essay questions did you get?
Original post by PKB2503
What essay questions did you get?

Death penalty :smile: which was lucky because I prepped for it the night before

thanks for your reply... :smile: did you prepare yourself for LNAT? I means any book did you study or sample papers?
those 2 sample papers which are on LNAT website did they help or not ??

Was it similar to the 2 sample practice tests or was it quite different?
thanks for your reply... :smile: did you prepare yourself for LNAT? I means any book did you study or sample papers?
those 2 sample papers which are on LNAT website did they help or not ??

Yuppp I bought the Mark Shepards book and did the two sample papers. Additionally, I also practiced a few essays and did a few planning ideas for the more popular questions. Honestly, it was really little help and I found it not very beneficial. My scores barely went up even after doing a few attempts at the MCQ and so yeahh.
Original post by new1234
Was it similar to the 2 sample practice tests or was it quite different?

The format of the paper was the same but for me, the sample practice were MUCH easier in comparison to the real thing.
The format of the paper was the same but for me, the sample practice were MUCH easier in comparison to the real thing.

Ahh I see.
Did you find all the essay questions good?
Also, you get given 3 options for the essay and time starts as soon as you click on to one right?
Yuppp I bought the Mark Shepards book and did the two sample papers. Additionally, I also practiced a few essays and did a few planning ideas for the more popular questions. Honestly, it was really little help and I found it not very beneficial. My scores barely went up even after doing a few attempts at the MCQ and so yeahh.

:smile: . i crossed my fingers I'm going tomorrow for test.... aaaah let's see :smile: well best of luck for your result.
:smile: . i crossed my fingers I'm going tomorrow for test.... aaaah let's see :smile: well best of luck for your result.

Good luck!!

Really? I found the two practice tests so freaking hard. I even hit as low as an 18. I found the real thing to be loads better.
Hi,

In my practice LNATs I'd been getting a 28-33 on the multiple choice, but in the actual exam the essay went cocking terrible. Not just terrible, absolutely shite. Can I expect to get into any LNAT schools? Also when are we supposed to recieve our results? I'm applying to Oxford, KCL, Durham and two non-LNAT schools.
Original post by ScrewedSOS
Hi,

In my practice LNATs I'd been getting a 28-33 on the multiple choice, but in the actual exam the essay went cocking terrible. Not just terrible, absolutely shite. Can I expect to get into any LNAT schools? Also when are we supposed to recieve our results? I'm applying to Oxford, KCL, Durham and two non-LNAT schools.

KCL don't take the essay into account.
Mid February i think.
Original post by new1234
KCL don't take the essay into account.
Mid February i think.

NO WAY! Thats the best news ive ever heard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending