The Student Room Group

Should I contact Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspiringUnderdog
A friend applying to the same universities for theoretical physics hasn't gotten a response yet from Warwick. My mentor sent an extenuating circumstances form the same day as I got the offer so possibly they went through my application quicker.
Have you got any indication of an interview from Imperial. Someone I know applying for chemical engineering said that they've already been given one.

Hi. Just for reference, I have applied for physics F303 (4-year MSci) at Imperial, and they sent me an invitation to interview this afternoon. My interview will be in less than 2 weeks (so great notice!). I submitted my application on 4th of October.

Good luck with your application!
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Hi. Just for reference, I have applied for physics F303 (4-year MSci) at Imperial, and they sent me an invitation to interview this afternoon. My interview will be in less than 2 weeks (so great notice!). I submitted my application on 4th of October.

Jesus can you not push it back? My manchester interview is the 28th of november and I'm going to stay with my uncle who works at jodrell bank and he said he'd show me round! :biggrin:.
Original post by black1blade
Jesus can you not push it back? My manchester interview is the 28th of november and I'm going to stay with my uncle who works at jodrell bank and he said he'd show me round! :biggrin:.

Oh wow, good luck!

I don't think so, and it seems they've lined up an exciting day for us. I get to have [free!] lunch with undergraduates, then get toured around the campus, then attend a sample lecture and visit labs, then a small group discussion (4 applicants to one admissions tutor) and finally an individual interview, so it's quite the excuse to get a day off school!

By the looks of things, that's a pretty standard interview day at Imperial since in the email they linked to a details page on their website.
Oh wow, good luck!

I don't think so, and it seems they've lined up an exciting day for us. I get to have [free!] lunch with undergraduates, then get toured around the campus, then attend a sample lecture and visit labs, then a small group discussion (4 applicants to one admissions tutor) and finally an individual interview, so it's quite the excuse to get a day off school!

By the looks of things, that's a pretty standard interview day at Imperial since in the email they linked to a details page on their website.

Yeah the Manchester interview day is pretty much the same. Basically it's more of a forced offer holder day so they can convince you to firm the uni. Also Manchester and Birmingham give you like a grand if you get 3A*s and you firm them.

I applied on 10th October so I guess today is two week anniversary of applying. What time did you get the email by the way?
Reply 45

Congrats - Imperial Physics interviewees have a very good chance of offer :wink:
I applied on 10th October so I guess today is two week anniversary of applying. What time did you get the email by the way?

Ah cool, so I suppose you may have to wait another week or so assuming a regular rate of application review.

I got the email at 15:30 ish yesterday afternoon. :smile:
Yeah the Manchester interview day is pretty much the same. Basically it's more of a forced offer holder day so they can convince you to firm the uni. Also Manchester and Birmingham give you like a grand if you get 3A*s and you firm them.

Oh okay, so Imperial aren't the only ones! I suppose for Cambridge it may just be interviews and none of the other stuff...?

I suppose you probably won't firm Manchester/Birmingham if you get a Cambridge offer, but that's a decent deal. I think many Cambridge colleges offer financial awards for exceptional Tripos performance, though I suppose there'll be some tough competition for that. Still, something to aim for if you/we get into Cambridge!
Original post by Doonesbury
Congrats - Imperial Physics interviewees have a very good chance of offer :wink:

Well that's reassuring, and I suppose it explains the almost Open Day-like feel of the morning before the interview (tour around Campus, lunch with undergrads etc...).

I'm hoping it'll be good prep for Cambridge Natsci interviews (if I make it to that stage), but tbf the Imperial course does look very appealing to me so getting an offer from them would be a big relief. :smile:
Ah cool, so I suppose you may have to wait another week or so assuming a regular rate of application review.

I got the email at 15:30 ish yesterday afternoon. :smile:

Ah okay well hopefully I make the cut. Mind sharing your AS and GCSE grades?
Also did you give them your UMS scores?
Ah okay well hopefully I make the cut. Mind sharing your AS and GCSE grades?
Also did you give them your UMS scores?

11A*s and 2As at GCSE.

My school didn't get us to sit real AS exams, but I got the equivalent of 3As in internal physics, chemistry and biology "year 1" exams. I did however sit Maths modules C1-4, S1 and M1, with 587/600 UMS (so A*, but not yet certificated apparently).

I gave my A-level Maths module UMS scores on UCAS; where it said "Grade" I typed in the numbers.

Good luck!

Spoiler

11A*s and 2As at GCSE.

My school didn't get us to sit real AS exams, but I got the equivalent of 3As in internal physics, chemistry and biology "year 1" exams. I did however sit Maths modules C1-4, S1 and M1, with 587/600 UMS (so A*, but not yet certificated apparently).

I gave my A-level Maths module UMS scores on UCAS; where it said "Grade" I typed in the numbers.

Good luck!

Spoiler

Ah I only put down grades for my modules but I emailed Imperial my UMS scores later on.
Well done on your results though, they're much better than mine!
11A*s and 2As at GCSE.

Good luck!

Spoiler

If you are the top of the year then obviously you are still an expectationally bright student who works really hard, you just have better support. I got top mark in chem , 2nd im physics and 3rd in maths so I'm not far off :tongue:.
Ah I only put down grades for my modules but I emailed Imperial my UMS scores later on.
Well done on your results though, they're much better than mine!

Ahh, so they may take a little longer to process your application I suppose. I wouldn't worry about hearing back from them yet: on their website it says they usually interview until late February, so you could still be in for a longish wait (hopefully not too long though!)

Thanks, but I'm sure your results are good enough, and they'll have more ways to assess your suitability to the course too.

Best of luck, and might see you around!
If you are the top of the year then obviously you are still an expectationally bright student who works really hard, you just have better support. I got top mark in chem , 2nd im physics and 3rd in maths so I'm not far off :tongue:.

Haha, thanks! Well, I wasn't top top in the exams (hence the ~) but I can't really remember/care about exact rankings (though I was "best in school" in the science Olympiads), so we're probably similarly-placed in our respective cohorts.

To be honest I can't wait for the interviews, they sound like they'll be so much fun. Being asked and potentially being prompted through really challenging questions by leading academics is an exciting prospect, for me at least!
Haha, thanks! Well, I wasn't top top in the exams (hence the ~) but I can't really remember/care about exact rankings (though I was "best in school" in the science Olympiads), so we're probably similarly-placed in our respective cohorts.

To be honest I can't wait for the interviews, they sound like they'll be so much fun. Being asked and potentially being prompted through really challenging questions by leading academics is an exciting prospect, for me at least!

Yeah for me hopefully the Manchester interview will be a nice practice in terms of being comfortable talking to a stranger about academic things and yeah hopefully the questions will be interesting. I really enjoy explaining things so hopefully they ask me about something which I can come to grips with a fully understand (please God no circuit questions).
Yeah for me hopefully the Manchester interview will be a nice practice in terms of being comfortable talking to a stranger about academic things and yeah hopefully the questions will be interesting. I really enjoy explaining things so hopefully they ask me about something which I can come to grips with a fully understand (please God no circuit questions).

Haha, I loathe circuits too tbf, though the A2 capacitors stuff we've done is not bad: certainly more interesting than resistor array circuits.
Haha, I loathe circuits too tbf, though the A2 capacitors stuff we've done is not bad: certainly more interesting than resistor array circuits.

Yeah but you just know they are gonna put some capacitors in a parallel potential divider circuit or something.
Yeah but you just know they are gonna put some capacitors in a parallel potential divider circuit or something.

Don't give them any ideas!!!
Ahh, so they may take a little longer to process your application I suppose. I wouldn't worry about hearing back from them yet: on their website it says they usually interview until late February, so you could still be in for a longish wait (hopefully not too long though!)

Thanks, but I'm sure your results are good enough, and they'll have more ways to assess your suitability to the course too.

Best of luck, and might see you around!

Yo, I was talking to a school friend that got an interview for aeronautical engineering and they showed me that they have a maths test on the interview day.
Is that the same for physics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending