The Student Room Group

A degree is a degree!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
x

A great respect and thanks to you to write the whole development of English education up in this extension. I still wonder whether there are intentions in Britain to reform the degrees. A reform to adapt the module for another European countries.
Original post by Kallisto
A great respect and thanks to you to write the whole development of English education up in this extension. I still wonder whether there are intentions in Britain to reform the degrees. A reform to adapt the module for another European countries.

Yes, there are people here who wish to adopt the American grade point average system.

There are two major weaknesses. It is no better than the British system for dealing with differential marking at different institutions or on different courses; and it dilutes the effect of improvement over time and so encourages people who make a poor start to drop out rather than improve.
Original post by Juliamarie9
Again, what planet you on? I'm a boss with a 1st with masters too! My staff are 2:2 and more functional than my 4 males who have a 1st! People need to "back up" their skills without academia involved. Get in the real world mate!

He's someone who doesn't live in the real world. Or ever held down a job (espec that dumb comment about being a CEO - I'm laffing so hard at that).

A person with no degree who've worked himself up from junior level to management is more valuable to a company than an idiot with a 1st because he has a rich dad but no work experience.
a 2.2 is a good thing
Original post by Juliamarie9
What utter nonsense that a 2:2 is below standard! What planet are you on?

It does make it difficult to continue studying, getting a job or going into a graduate scheme. If I wish to join the British Psychological Society, I believe I have to have a 2:1 and above. Masters can be strict on the degree classification as well.

If you only want a degree because you enjoy the subject and don't need it to further yourself or your career, then no, it's not a problem. For most people, it is a problem though.

The percentage is pretty low for a 2:2 or below, which means they didn't perform that well. It seems though that your issue is that a degree class doesn't determine someone's abilities or intelligence, which is correct. Someone with a high class may not perform well in a work environment because they have been so focused on studies but can you really blame them?
However, there are graduates with a first who have worked through their degree and/or have work experience before they begun their studies.

I agree that a degree is a degree and whatever the class, it takes hard work and lots of dedication, but the classification is important to many graduates. Everyone has different goals that require different requirements.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's still a degree yes, but it can limit your options dependant on the classification, in the same way that an A-level is an A-level, but the result you get can affect which universities will accept you.
Original post by hannxm
It does make it difficult to continue studying, getting a job or going into a graduate scheme. If I wish to join the British Psychological Society, I believe I have to have a 2:1 and above. Masters can be strict on the degree classification as well.

If you only want a degree because you enjoy the subject and don't need it to further yourself or your career, then no, it's not a problem. For most people, it is a problem though.

The percentage is pretty low for a 2:2 or below, which means they didn't perform that well. It seems though that your issue is that a degree class doesn't determine someone's abilities or intelligence, which is correct. Someone with a high class may not perform well in a work environment because they have been so focused on studies but can you really blame them?
However, there are graduates with a first who have worked through their degree and/or have work experience before they begun their studies.

I agree that a degree is a degree and whatever the class, it takes hard work and lots of dedication, but the classification is important to many graduates. Everyone has different goals that require different requirements.

I'm fairly sure you just need an eligible psychology degree to join the BPS, regardless of grade
Original post by bones-mccoy
I'm fairly sure you just need an eligible psychology degree to join the BPS, regardless of grade

I'm not sure entirely. I know the degree has to be accredited, but I swear someone said that you need a decent grade.
Original post by hannxm
I'm not sure entirely. I know the degree has to be accredited, but I swear someone said that you need a decent grade.

I don't think so cause I got a 2.2 in my conversion course and I'm a member
Original post by bones-mccoy
I don't think so cause I got a 2.2 in my conversion course and I'm a member

Well that's one less thing for me to worry about!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending