The Student Room Group

I'm stressed...I feel like i can't achieve what i wish to i feel like a failure

Hi there, I am currently a year 11 student that has her worry levels rising slightly over board I guess. I want to get a grade 7 in maths GCSE however my teacher said it is kind of impossible due to the fact that I am currently doing foundation for maths however, at the end of year 10 - mock exams I achieved a grade 4 in maths which is equivalent to a grade C and I just believe that if I am guided by maths teachers and am given that opportunity it is possible to get a grade 7 in maths. BAD NEWS - in the recent exam at the start of the year I got a grade 1 I know that's just a fail that kind of shattered a lot of my hopes and dreams. I believe I failed partly due to the fact that I hadn't revised and I was not aware that this exam was going to be literally on the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL note the emphasis. I think that due to that unexpected test I will not be able to do the higher tier meaning I will not be able to get a grade 7 in maths which is a grade A.

I basically want to go to OXFORD university and with a grade 5 there is o chance of me being accepted due to the fact that it's MATHS!

So ...basically I just wanted the truth...IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME T GET THAT GRADE 7 IN MATHS OR WILL T JUST REMAIN A REGRET AND A DREAM PLEASE ANSWER WITH AL HONESTY .

Thank You!

PS I do think I sound like a weirdo that is dumb and will not get anywhere in life!

EXUCUSE ANY TYPO ERRORS I SEE THAT I HAVE MADE A LOT
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

have you got mocks soon?
Try talking to the head of your maths department and see if they'll move you to higher, if not ask if you can do another test soon to show them that they should put you up. Basically fight for it, they should listen to you if you make your voice heard
Reply 3
You need to get the school to move you from the foundation tier. If I am correct, you cannot get higher than a grade C - regardless of how well you do in the exam.
Reply 4
Original post by entertainmyfaith
have you got mocks soon?

YEP I HAVE - 20th November I AM DREADING IT1
Original post by 13ANESHA02
YEP I HAVE - 20th November I AM DREADING IT1

study hard for your maths mock.
Do you have any mocks any time soon? If so aim for a D or a C and then they can’t give you a reason to not move you to a higher tier. You can talk to the head of your department in maths if you manage to get your D/C. Say you have the potential to achieve a higher grade but that would only be possible if You do a higher tier
Original post by harry.h
You need to get the school to move you from the foundation tier. If I am correct, you cannot get higher than a grade C - regardless of how well you do in the exam.

nah, foundation goes up to a grade b now in the new exams.
nah, foundation goes up to a grade b now in the new exams.

Honestly even I never knew that! Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
study hard for your maths mock.

I already am revising for that maths exam. Thanks for the reply!
So, do you think it is possible for me to get a grade 7?
Reply 10
Original post by Nobody101
Do you have any mocks any time soon? If so aim for a D or a C and then they can’t give you a reason to not move you to a higher tier. You can talk to the head of your department in maths if you manage to get your D/C. Say you have the potential to achieve a higher grade but that would only be possible if You do a higher tier

I am aiming for that grade C hopefully I get it in the mock which will give me a way t do the higher tier.
I already am revising for that maths exam. Thanks for the reply!
So, do you think it is possible for me to get a grade 7?

if you work hard, and achieve a good score in the exam then it may be possible for you to be entered for higher tier. however, higher tier is a lot of work [i'm sure you'd put the effort in though]; have you been studying foundation tier in class?
If you're really determined to get a Grade 7, just work for it. When I was in Year 11, my maths teacher told me that the only way I'd get above a C was if he sat with me in the exam or if the mark scheme was handed to me the night before. I felt similarly to how you do now. After that, though, I put everything I could into maths. I achieved an A and I've just applied for Oxford. :smile: So really, if you work hard for it, you could probably get a 7. Good luck!
Reply 13
if you work hard, and achieve a good score in the exam then it may be possible for you to be entered for higher tier. however, higher tier is a lot of work [i'm sure you'd put the effort in though]; have you been studying foundation tier in class?

Thanks! Well... we do a range of different graded topics which we mostly focus on foundation however, we do higher grade topics if we are secure with the basics so it depends really however, I am willing to revise higher topics at homelike the grade 7-9 topics which I have already started looking at and attempting to figure out for myself.
Thanks! Well... we do a range of different graded topics which we mostly focus on foundation however, we do higher grade topics if we are secure with the basics so it depends really however, I am willing to revise higher topics at homelike the grade 7-9 topics which I have already started looking at and attempting to figure out for myself.

if you can secure foundation, and you achieve well in the mock, then i'd recommend talking to your teacher about being entered for higher tier- you might have a decent chance especially if you say you're willing to put in the work at home :smile: what would you like to study at oxford?
Reply 15
If you're doing foundation maths for GCSE then you might as well say goodbye to Oxford now because they won't be interested
Sorry harsh truth but they won't

Speak to your teacher and get yourself changed to higher asap
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by asox
If you're doing foundation maths for GCSE then you might as well say goodbye to Oxford now because they won't be interested
Sorry harsh truth but they won't

Speak to your teacher and get yourself changed to higher asap

I know right they wont. I will talk t my teacher thanks for the advice. BTW do you think it is possible for me to achieve that grade 7?
Reply 17
I know right they wont. I will talk t my teacher thanks for the advice. BTW do you think it is possible for me to achieve that grade 7?

I'm not too knowledgeable about the new grading system but I know it goes up to 9 so I'm imaging 7 is a low A/very high B?

If this is the case then yes it is manageable if you work for it.

Speaking from personal experience (I sat my maths GCSE a year early and I was getting Ds the term before the exam, 4 months later I got an A* in my maths) maths skills can be improved very quickly in a short space of time with practice.

Go to your teachers and tell them exactly what you want to get and ask them for the help to get there. They're your teachers and it's their job to help you achieve the best of your ability.

Also do as many past paper questions as possible - the questions always repeat, it's just with different numbers. Once you've learnt the methods you just apply it to the question you are doing.
Reply 18
if you can secure foundation, and you achieve well in the mock, then i'd recommend talking to your teacher about being entered for higher tier- you might have a decent chance especially if you say you're willing to put in the work at home :smile: what would you like to study at oxford?

I will do - hopefully I do well in the mock. I would like to study something to do with English literature
Original post by asox
I'm not too knowledgeable about the new grading system but I know it goes up to 9 so I'm imaging 7 is a low A/very high B?

If this is the case then yes it is manageable if you work for it.

Speaking from personal experience (I sat my maths GCSE a year early and I was getting Ds the term before the exam, 4 months later I got an A* in my maths) maths skills can be improved very quickly in a short space of time with practice.

Go to your teachers and tell them exactly what you want to get and ask them for the help to get there. They're your teachers and it's their job to help you achieve the best of your ability.

Also do as many past paper questions as possible - the questions always repeat, it's just with different numbers. Once you've learnt the methods you just apply it to the question you are doing.

7's considered a decent A

Quick Reply

Latest