The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Advice on applying to St.Andrews

Hey guys, a little background on myself: I am in my sixth year in Scotland at a comprehensive school around 3 miles from St.Andrews, and am in an area described as a 'priority postcode' by some universities which means my postcode is in the top 40% most deprived areas in Scotland. I achieved AABC in 5th year, and I am predicted AA at Advanced Higher Modern Studies and AA at History and PE and Geography. My personal statement is of a pretty good standard and my reference seems fine.

I want to study International Relations/Politics/History at other Scottish universities and I am left with the dilemma of choosing 1 more course. St.Andrews is one of the best universities for International Relations and Modern History, but Aberdeen seems more realistic with its entry requirements and my current grades. How likely is it that I'd get an offer from St.Andrews considering its competitive nature? Is it worth applying for?
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
Hey guys, a little background on myself: I am in my sixth year in Scotland at a comprehensive school around 3 miles from St.Andrews, and am in an area described as a 'priority postcode' by some universities which means my postcode is in the top 40% most deprived areas in Scotland. I achieved AABC in 5th year, and I am predicted AA at Advanced Higher Modern Studies and AA at History and PE and Geography. My personal statement is of a pretty good standard and my reference seems fine.

I want to study International Relations/Politics/History at other Scottish universities and I am left with the dilemma of choosing 1 more course. St.Andrews is one of the best universities for International Relations and Modern History, but Aberdeen seems more realistic with its entry requirements and my current grades. How likely is it that I'd get an offer from St.Andrews considering its competitive nature? Is it worth applying for?

Honestly, I would just go for it. Your scores meet the requirements. St Andrews is definitely more competitive for Scottish students but it wouldn't hurt to try. If you are confident about your other universities, then it is only one choice and St Andrews is an amazing place :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by wolfmoon88
Honestly, I would just go for it. Your scores meet the requirements. St Andrews is definitely more competitive for Scottish students but it wouldn't hurt to try. If you are confident about your other universities, then it is only one choice and St Andrews is an amazing place :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that :smile: I remember sending an E-Mail after I got my results and their response was that although a lot of students make the AAAB requirement at the end of 5th year, they take into consideration factors such as location and background. I heard a rumour that they have a quota for the local area, so I wonder if that would play a factor. Growing up virtually in St.Andrews, I was very against the idea of studying here but there is no denying that getting a degree from the uni is very valuable.
Thanks for that :smile: I remember sending an E-Mail after I got my results and their response was that although a lot of students make the AAAB requirement at the end of 5th year, they take into consideration factors such as location and background. I heard a rumour that they have a quota for the local area, so I wonder if that would play a factor. Growing up virtually in St.Andrews, I was very against the idea of studying here but there is no denying that getting a degree from the uni is very valuable.

I'm not completely sure about the local quotas, it's definitely a possibility that it exists. Most universities consider location and background as a part of the admissions process but it is by no means the most important factor. Honestly, if you don't really want to stay in the area of St Andrews, you may have to weigh on whether or not the course content and other factors outweighs the desire not to stay in the local area, if you get an offer... don't think it should completely stop you from applying to the university first though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
I'm not completely sure about the local quotas, it's definitely a possibility that it exists. Most universities consider location and background as a part of the admissions process but it is by no means the most important factor. Honestly, if you don't really want to stay in the area of St Andrews, you may have to weigh on whether or not the course content and other factors outweighs the desire not to stay in the local area, if you get an offer... don't think it should completely stop you from applying to the university first though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The University of Glasgow would be my firm choice if I am to get an offer from them, with The University of Dundee as my insurance choice. My other two choices are Edinburgh and Stirling. I think I'll speak to my careers adviser tomorrow and ask if he knows anymore knowledge as he is local. Thank you so much for your advice though!
The University of Glasgow would be my firm choice if I am to get an offer from them, with The University of Dundee as my insurance choice. My other two choices are Edinburgh and Stirling. I think I'll speak to my careers adviser tomorrow and ask if he knows anymore knowledge as he is local. Thank you so much for your advice though!

No problem and good luck with your application :smile: All great choices!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending