The Student Room Group

Failed driving test yesterday and faced with the new test.

Hi guys,

So I failed my 2nd driving test yesterday after getting 5 minors and a serious. The serious was for the reverse round the corner maneuver. Some instructor was teaching their pupil the same thing but on the wrong side of the road. My examiner was understandably annoyed about that and I was flustered. I basically screwed up at the very end of my test.

Anyway, in Birmingham I won't be able to get a test until January 2018 and I feel sick at the thought of having to do the new test that's out in December.

Am I at a disadvantage? I have signed up with a cancellation service and they haven't found a slot before December as of yet.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

although it's kinda annoying that you will have to learn new things, it's not too much to learn. you will have to do 20 minutes of independent driving which isn't really that bad. you will have to use a sat nav which might take a bit of getting used to but again it's not that bad and will actually be quite useful as you will probably use one quite a lot when you pass. i believe they're getting rid of the reverse around the corner and replacing it with a bay park? not entirely sure on that one as on the website it just says "changes in reverse manouevere" but that's what i've heard. you also have to complete a 'show me' question whilst driving but that will be easy as it'll probably be something like "show me how to clean the windscreen" or something. if you can get a cancellation that'll be great but if not don't worry too much, the test won't be completely different and will probably only take 2-3 lessons to learn the new bits!
Reply 2
Original post by Articultr
although it's kinda annoying that you will have to learn new things, it's not too much to learn. you will have to do 20 minutes of independent driving which isn't really that bad. you will have to use a sat nav which might take a bit of getting used to but again it's not that bad and will actually be quite useful as you will probably use one quite a lot when you pass. i believe they're getting rid of the reverse around the corner and replacing it with a bay park? not entirely sure on that one as on the website it just says "changes in reverse manouevere" but that's what i've heard. you also have to complete a 'show me' question whilst driving but that will be easy as it'll probably be something like "show me how to clean the windscreen" or something. if you can get a cancellation that'll be great but if not don't worry too much, the test won't be completely different and will probably only take 2-3 lessons to learn the new bits!

They're getting rid of turn in the road and reverse round the corner. They're keeping parallel parking, have added pulling up on the right, reverse two car lengths and rejoin traffic and as for the bay, it'll either be reverse in and drive out or drive in and reverse out.

Thank you for replying. I still feel like **** though 😂😩
Reply 3
I've failed two tests now and have one last test before the new test starts in December - so I'll probably be in the same situation as you in a couple of weeks.

Firstly don't panic - you learnt the manoeuvres for the first test, you can learn the new ones just as easily.
Yes it's annoying but if you think about it, you'll be a better driver once you actually pass.

Speak to your driving instructor and make sure you know how to do the new manoeuvres.
Do lots of practice in your free time if you have a car/parents have a manual car - especially with satnav!
I failed my first test on Monday and I was really hoping to pass just so I wouldn't have to do the new test. But I've kinda noticed now that the new test isn't actually that bad although they say 1 in five people who take the test will have to just follow signs. The satnav option sounds better since it shows you which way you have to go so it shouldn't be too confusing. Just remember to read road signs because the satnav might tell you to turn left for example but the first left could be a one-way road. The independent part of the test is the worst bit for me because I find it hard to remember instructions once I drive off so 20 minutes to me sounds like hell but my best option is to keep asking them for directions lol.
Can you not try other test centres to see if they have any tests before December?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by astudentagain
Can you not try other test centres to see if they have any tests before December?

All of the test centres in Birmingham are fully booked. Praying for a cancellation for November. 🙇
Reply 7
Original post by Skinnymocha
I failed my first test on Monday and I was really hoping to pass just so I wouldn't have to do the new test. But I've kinda noticed now that the new test isn't actually that bad although they say 1 in five people who take the test will have to just follow signs. The satnav option sounds better since it shows you which way you have to go so it shouldn't be too confusing. Just remember to read road signs because the satnav might tell you to turn left for example but the first left could be a one-way road. The independent part of the test is the worst bit for me because I find it hard to remember instructions once I drive off so 20 minutes to me sounds like hell but my best option is to keep asking them for directions lol.

I just had my heart set on passing this year and getting it out of the way. I'm especially worried about the new maneuvers.
Reply 8
Original post by asox
I've failed two tests now and have one last test before the new test starts in December - so I'll probably be in the same situation as you in a couple of weeks.

Firstly don't panic - you learnt the manoeuvres for the first test, you can learn the new ones just as easily.
Yes it's annoying but if you think about it, you'll be a better driver once you actually pass.

Speak to your driving instructor and make sure you know how to do the new manoeuvres.
Do lots of practice in your free time if you have a car/parents have a manual car - especially with satnav!

Aw, good luck, you can do it! The maneuvers are putting me off, especially since it took so long to get the hang of the other four 😩
Original post by Smileygal
All of the test centres in Birmingham are fully booked. Praying for a cancellation for November. 🙇
Most likely there'll be some cancellations before December.
In the meantime, the new stuff will be quite useful for when you're driving on your own. Life skills
Reply 10
Hope so. Yeah, I guess I have to get on with it.
I just had my heart set on passing this year and getting it out of the way. I'm especially worried about the new maneuvers.

I understand how you feel, the best chance of you passing is if you get as much driving experience done as possible. It definitely helped me a lot to get comfortable driving when I got my own car.

The new maneuvers won't take you long to master, I'm sure you'll do well in that part of the test. if you can just practice bay parking and parallel parking in a relatives car, keep doing it over and over again you'll get good at it, also watch youtube videos from official driving schools. - World driving & advanced driving school are two channels which help explain everything in a simple way.
I was in the same predicament as you. I failed my test in September and was hoping to do a test now in October or in November, but they were fully booked until December which is when the test changes. It seems like everyone wanted to do the test before the new changes.

I have started doing the new manoeuvres and they are so much easier than the reserve around the corner, although I am annoyed that they took off the three point turn. The bay parking is better that we learn now than after we pass the test as you don’t realise how hard it can be to master it. Although the majority of people do do it rather than the reverse parking and they make it look easy, it’s different when you are in the drivers seat. I actually thought that it would be easy, but it took me a whole lesson and a half to get the hang of it. Regarding the independent driving, I asked my instructor and he said that it is possible that the sat nav will be the independent driving. What has happened in the past, including me in the test, was that there was a lot of misunderstanding as the examiner wasn’t clear and that was what failed me, which is why they are bringing in the sat nav as well as us knowing how to follow it and use it in the future. But he said it’s not certain until they receive more information from the DSA.

Don’t be scared of the new test; it actually is so much easier. Personally, I prefer the new test than the old one
Reply 13
I understand how you feel, the best chance of you passing is if you get as much driving experience done as possible. It definitely helped me a lot to get comfortable driving when I got my own car.

The new maneuvers won't take you long to master, I'm sure you'll do well in that part of the test. if you can just practice bay parking and parallel parking in a relatives car, keep doing it over and over again you'll get good at it, also watch youtube videos from official driving schools. - World driving & advanced driving school are two channels which help explain everything in a simple way.

Thank you so much for your reassuring words! I'm doing my PGCE too so I guess I'll have to carry on with my lessons on the weekends and hopefully pass the driving test. It's booked for 18th January for now, but I am looking for cancellations.
Reply 14
Original post by Nads96
I was in the same predicament as you. I failed my test in September and was hoping to do a test now in October or in November, but they were fully booked until December which is when the test changes. It seems like everyone wanted to do the test before the new changes.

I have started doing the new manoeuvres and they are so much easier than the reserve around the corner, although I am annoyed that they took off the three point turn. The bay parking is better that we learn now than after we pass the test as you don’t realise how hard it can be to master it. Although the majority of people do do it rather than the reverse parking and they make it look easy, it’s different when you are in the drivers seat. I actually thought that it would be easy, but it took me a whole lesson and a half to get the hang of it. Regarding the independent driving, I asked my instructor and he said that it is possible that the sat nav will be the independent driving. What has happened in the past, including me in the test, was that there was a lot of misunderstanding as the examiner wasn’t clear and that was what failed me, which is why they are bringing in the sat nav as well as us knowing how to follow it and use it in the future. But he said it’s not certain until they receive more information from the DSA.

Don’t be scared of the new test; it actually is so much easier. Personally, I prefer the new test than the old one

Hey, it is annoying that they took the three point turn out when that's the most important one! Reverse around the corner was actually my strongest maneuver and I did a near perfect one in the lesson right before the test.

I suppose I'll have to do the new test as I doubt people will cancel their tests. If only they brought it out next year.
Keep checking the cancellations all the time! I failed at the start of august, no tests available until end of october then. I just kept checking for cancellations, and one came up for 2 weeks later, so don't give up hope. Just keep keep checking the available tests, and as soon as a suitable one comes up, book it! I hesitated for one and within a minute it was gone, I got a better one in the end but you have to be careful. And reverse round a corner is awful, just keep practicing. I failed first time, second time it was so much calmer because I knew what to expect. Good luck
Thank you so much for your reassuring words! I'm doing my PGCE too so I guess I'll have to carry on with my lessons on the weekends and hopefully pass the driving test. It's booked for 18th January for now, but I am looking for cancellations.

No problem, you can do it! :smile:

I also just started my final year of uni and my test is booked for the 8th January, I'm trying to concentrate on my studies but I can't stop thinking about driving now because I really wanted to get this driving stuff out the way lol. I'll send updates of what the test is like later on if it helps.

Definitely keep looking for cancellations though because I agree the waiting time is what is most annoying about trying to pass. :frown: But if you think about it by January you'll be an even better driver with the more experience you'll be getting.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by RallySPORT
Keep checking the cancellations all the time! I failed at the start of august, no tests available until end of october then. I just kept checking for cancellations, and one came up for 2 weeks later, so don't give up hope. Just keep keep checking the available tests, and as soon as a suitable one comes up, book it! I hesitated for one and within a minute it was gone, I got a better one in the end but you have to be careful. And reverse round a corner is awful, just keep practicing. I failed first time, second time it was so much calmer because I knew what to expect. Good luck

I've signed up to a cancellation service and hopefully they'll find a slot with November. If not, January it is 😩😩
Reply 18
No problem, you can do it! :smile:

I also just started my final year of uni and my test is booked for the 8th January, I'm trying to concentrate on my studies but I can't stop thinking about driving now because I really wanted to get this driving stuff out the way lol. I'll send updates of what the test is like later on if it helps.

Definitely, keep looking for cancellations though because I agree the waiting time is what is most annoying about trying to pass. :frown: But if you think about it by January you'll even be a better driver with the more experience you'll be getting.

Ooh, definitely do keep me up to date with the test as yours is 10 days before mine. We can do it! 👐
Hi guys,

So I failed my 2nd driving test yesterday after getting 5 minors and a serious. The serious was for the reverse round the corner maneuver. Some instructor was teaching their pupil the same thing but on the wrong side of the road. My examiner was understandably annoyed about that and I was flustered. I basically screwed up at the very end of my test.

Anyway, in Birmingham I won't be able to get a test until January 2018 and I feel sick at the thought of having to do the new test that's out in December.

Am I at a disadvantage? I have signed up with a cancellation service and they haven't found a slot before December as of yet.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I've been driving for nearly two years and yesterday failed my fifth test with one major and one minor. I can't get a test until December the 8th and I feel exactly the same as you. I'm also kicking myself because my major thing was so stupid and never something I usually do when driving! I was scared to sign or pay for one of the cancellation checkers online because it requires a lot of your personal details!! I'm still not sure whether to or not... Hope you're ok, I know exactly how you're feeling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending