The Student Room Group

I want to do Foundation Math but...

I'm currently in Year 11 and today I did a paper containing Surds,Vectors and Quadratics. I know I flunked it for certain and parents evening is in 2 days.

My Math teacher knows I am weak at Math as last year I got 3 E's at all three terms in Math at Year 10.
I feel foundation is right for me at the moment since I just can't cope with all the content and Math understanding at Higher. No matter how much I study, once the exam time starts I panic and forget everything because Math to me looks all the same.

The problem is I don't know how much easier it is at Foundation.]
If you did last years GCSE Foundation paper or are doing it now, how did you find it?
And what is your advice?
Reply 1
I’m doing Higher.

I would recommend doing higher because it is easier to achieve a C in my opinion as you need less marks.

It will have harder questions but a different grade boundary to the foundation in terms of the C grade.
If you're struggling with higher, stepping down to foundation may be the option for you. I'd recommend speaking to your teacher. They're the best person to advise you.
Does your exam board have an intermediate paper??
I would do higher. Last year you needed 52% (roughly)for a 7 THAT IS AN A!!
Definetely do higher. You need a higher percentage to get just a 4 in foundation. TBH its not worth the effort doing foundation
Original post by Oneiropólos
I'm currently in Year 11 and today I did a paper containing Surds,Vectors and Quadratics. I know I flunked it for certain and parents evening is in 2 days.

My Math teacher knows I am weak at Math as last year I got 3 E's at all three terms in Math at Year 10.
I feel foundation is right for me at the moment since I just can't cope with all the content and Math understanding at Higher. No matter how much I study, once the exam time starts I panic and forget everything because Math to me looks all the same.

The problem is I don't know how much easier it is at Foundation.]
If you did last years GCSE Foundation paper or are doing it now, how did you find it?
And what is your advice?

You are only bad at maths, Because you have never actually done it.
Use these websites.

Mathedup.co.uk
Or
Exam solutions
Original post by Liv Davies
Does your exam board have an intermediate paper??

intermediate papers don't exist anymore in england, and haven't since around 2010ish.
Original post by tash.herriott
You need a higher percentage to get just a 4 in foundation. TBH its not worth the effort doing foundation

but, the content is significantly easier. perhaps on the 4/5 borderline it would be easier to sit higher, but when the op is working at an E I would be doubtful.
Original post by _gcx
but, the content is significantly easier. perhaps on the 4/5 borderline it would be easier to sit higher, but when the op is working at an E I would be doubtful.

yeah! but if the teacher thinks higher then obviously the student is working at a 4/5 level.
Reply 9
Do the higher even if you find it difficult. Basically if you do the foundation you can only ever get a C or below, this limits your ability. With the Higher you can get an A** and below, thus more range of scores, even if you still get a C, you got more scope of getting a better score.

A friend of mine thought she would get a 4/C in her English and if she had choice would have gone with the foundation, she did the new GCSE and achieved a 6/B.

We are only half a term into the Maths, so you will find most of it hard, if you don't then you are probably A level stuff. It takes a while for things to click into place, to change learning to fit into maths etc.

Never ever limit yourself by thinking you can only get a low grade, always believe in yourself and your ability to get the very top grade.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest