The Student Room Group

Does fourth a level matter

Can it be like business studies
Original post by officialzak_2001
Can it be like business studies

Can you clarify?
Reply 2
You don't need four. If you're going to do business studies as a fourth you might as well just do three because universities don't really think of it highly and three strong a levels are better than 4 mediocre ones.
Unis don’t require 4 - if you’re doing 4 just for the sake of it there’s no real point and you’d be better off just doing 3 and getting really good grades
Reply 4
Is it needed? No

Universities usually only make offers based on 3 A level grades.

By doing 4 you leave yourself vulnerable for them to "pick" the 3 subjects you need to achieve a grade in.

E.g. If you were doing English, Maths, History, Business Studies
They may give you an offer of BBB but they may specify that you need these three grades in English, Maths, History

You would then be stuck doing an extra a level (that you may need for other unis) and this may bring all your results down as a result.

Better to get 3 good grades than 4 mediocre ones.
Unless you're doing Further Maths, I wouldn't sweat it when it comes to 3 or 4, just do whatever you feel comfortable with.
Depends on whether you can take 4, just know unis will only count the top 3. I did 4 but I was able to cope with it. They'll only really take it in to considerations if it's further maths or something like that.
Reply 7
Lancaster Uni will only accept my native A Level Spanish if I had 4 A Levels soooo you see. Depends on the case.
Original post by larkspurs
Can you clarify?

In my school it is compulsory to do 4 a levels. Im doing bio chem and maths and psychology but i drop psychology cause it was a bit too much and business was the onlyone in the block. So i've done business for quite sometime and i've been doing research and found out it was soft. So i was wondering wuld did this hinder my chances of getting into medicine compared to doing psychology.
In my school it is compulsory to do 4 a levels. Im doing bio chem and maths and psychology but i drop psychology cause it was a bit too much and business was the onlyone in the block. So i've done business for quite sometime and i've been doing research and found out it was soft. So i was wondering wuld did this hinder my chances of getting into medicine compared to doing psychology.

It depends whether you will struggle with 4. But if you have to do 4 and business is your only choice, what are you going to do?

no, they won't care.

your concern should be whether business distracts too much from your other subjects.
Original post by _gcx
no, they won't care.

your concern should be whether business distracts too much from your other subjects.

Sorry im not sure wat u mean
Sorry im not sure wat u mean

Whether the time spent studying business could be better spent on working on your other three instead, is what I meant.
Original post by asox
Is it needed? No

Universities usually only make offers based on 3 A level grades.

By doing 4 you leave yourself vulnerable for them to "pick" the 3 subjects you need to achieve a grade in.

E.g. If you were doing English, Maths, History, Business Studies
They may give you an offer of BBB but they may specify that you need these three grades in English, Maths, History

You would then be stuck doing an extra a level (that you may need for other unis) and this may bring all your results down as a result.

Better to get 3 good grades than 4 mediocre ones.

Its compulsory to do four till as in our sixth form, im gonna drop it after as.
Original post by Maaaths
You don't need four. If you're going to do business studies as a fourth you might as well just do three because universities don't really think of it highly and three strong a levels are better than 4 mediocre ones.

Forgot to mention it is compulsory it was either that or psyhology as a fourth a level and they are both seen as soft. I picked business as it was much easier.
If it was psychology would it be viewed better by uni compared to busienss
Reply 15
Forgot to mention it is compulsory it was either that or psyhology as a fourth a level and they are both seen as soft. I picked business as it was much easier.
If it was psychology would it be viewed better by uni compared to busienss

Since it's a more scientific subject, probably, but don't forget what everyone's been saying - universities only look at 3. If you're doing it for AS then it definitely doesn't matter what you pick. Just pick what's right for you.
Original post by Starra
Since it's a more scientific subject, probably, but don't forget what everyone's been saying - universities only look at 3. If you're doing it for AS then it definitely doesn't matter what you pick. Just pick what's right for you.

Sorry if im overthinking but if someone did bio chem math and business and got AAAA at AS and someone else did bio chem maths and Psych and got AAAA. Which one willbe viewed better or it won't matter as they are both soft
Reply 17
Sorry if im overthinking but if someone did bio chem math and business and got AAAA at AS and someone else did bio chem maths and Psych and got AAAA. Which one willbe viewed better or it won't matter as they are both soft

I wouldn't call Psych soft. But yeah, it wouldn't matter.
Original post by Starra
I wouldn't call Psych soft. But yeah, it wouldn't matter.

Thanks i didn't mean to offen but i heard they aren't highly respected compared to traditional subjects, sorry
Reply 19
Thanks i didn't mean to offen but i heard they aren't highly respected compared to traditional subjects, sorry

No offence taken lol I don't do psych, I just have friends who thought it'd be easy but found it's actually pretty hard.

Quick Reply

Latest