The Student Room Group

applying to russel group uni's with bad gcses to do Law

Hello,
I was wondering if I somehow get amazing A Level results, would my GCSES still limit it?
I did go to a below average school, so I only achieved 3 A's- English Literature, English Language and R.E. , 2 B's- Physics and Chemistry and 5 C's- Computer Science, History, German, Biology and Maths.
I couldn't be able to go on the programmes such as MAP, because I didn't meet all the criterias, e.g. I'm not the first one in my family to go to university, etc.
I applied to places like Manchester, LSE, and other places
so I was wondering if they're pointless to apply to because I'll probably get rejected due to my grades, so is it worth it?

Although, last year I only did one external exam which was in Government and Politics and achieved a high A, whilst the rest of my subjects are linear, Psychology and English Literature and Language(combined), and carrying on the Politics course.
My predicted grades are AAB
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey! What are your predicted grades? If they meet or exceed the entry requirements and you have a fantastic personal statement I don't see why they wouldn't consider you, especially if they don't mention anything about GCSE on their entry requirements. If not you can always go through adjustment if you get amazing A level results :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bmerlusca
Hey! What are your predicted grades? If they meet or exceed the entry requirements and you have a fantastic personal statement I don't see why they wouldn't consider you, especially if they don't mention anything about GCSE on their entry requirements. If not you can always go through adjustment if you get amazing A level results :smile:

it's AAB, and I think I've done a decent personal statement, but I worry if they'll reject me on the basis that they're all competitive uni's, particularly LSE, and my predicted doesn't meet most of the uni entry requirements either, missing it by one grade, since it's usually AAA or A*AA but for LSE, I meet it since I applied for Law and Anthropology
(edited 6 years ago)
I wouldn't apply to any uni where you don't meet their entry requirements, chances are they probably won't even read your personal statament :frown: you can try if you want but in my opinion, don't waste your choices unless you are sure you have a chance :smile: but if you meet the grades for LSE go for it! You have nothing to lose!!
Reply 4
I wouldn't apply to any uni where you don't meet their entry requirements, chances are they probably won't even read your personal statament :frown: you can try if you want but in my opinion, don't waste your choices unless you are sure you have a chance :smile: but if you meet the grades for LSE go for it! You have nothing to lose!!

it's my fault really why my predicted doesn't match the entry as I didn't revise, which wasn't a smart decision which I've realised now, so I thought if I somehow did better in recent tests they'd change my predicted grade for Pyschology from a B to an A but they haven't, so I don't know what to do, since the only university I can really go to is Manchester, and Liverpool since it's close by. But, of course I'll start revising soon since i have to inevitably, since I basically made my first year a fluke year.
(edited 6 years ago)
have you tried speaking to your teachers or even maybe try get your parents to speak to them? Try and convince them that you can get the grades and you will work a lot harder, you can maybe prove that to them by maybe asking for extra help after school or cutting hours at your work if you have a job? Those are my suggestions, every teacher wants their students to do well so I'm sure if you ask enough times they may change your predictions
Reply 6
have you tried speaking to your teachers or even maybe try get your parents to speak to them? Try and convince them that you can get the grades and you will work a lot harder, you can maybe prove that to them by maybe asking for extra help after school or cutting hours at your work if you have a job? Those are my suggestions, every teacher wants their students to do well so I'm sure if you ask enough times they may change your predictions

I did but she never got back to me and I feel too nervous to ask, which I know sounds stupid but it's an obvious no. I did try to convince her and I do have a job, but I literally only work 2 hours a week(tried to do 4 but they put an r.e. period since my college is religious and won't let me rearrange it) and I need that money since everything is too expensive, like my bursary literally only goes to my bus pass and if I ever needed anything else, I sort of need extra money so I can't quit, like for instance I don't have enough money to send off my UCAS so I have to wait till payday. Plus my grades in the mini tests in Psychology were incredibly consistent, like in the Winter mock I had an A and then Summer mock it was a D, and my grades would change like that between the weeks from A's to E's even.
(edited 6 years ago)

They will. Law courses are competitive for students and providers. There is a whole lot of PR involved, with the understanding that courses which are AAA are better than courses which are AAB. This means that courses which are legitimately AAB will say they're AAA to get more and better applications.

Certainly, I would tell OP to apply to Manchester.
Reply 8
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
They will. Law courses are competitive for students and providers. There is a whole lot of PR involved, with the understanding that courses which are AAA are better than courses which are AAB. This means that courses which are legitimately AAB will say they're AAA to get more and better applications.

Certainly, I would tell OP to apply to Manchester.

Thankyou!
Original post by zaraamxo
Hello,
I was wondering if I somehow get amazing A Level results, would my GCSES still limit it?
I did go to a below average school, so I only achieved 3 A's- English Literature, English Language and R.E. , 2 B's- Physics and Chemistry and 5 C's- Computer Science, History, German, Biology and Maths.
I couldn't be able to go on the programmes such as MAP, because I didn't meet all the criterias, e.g. I'm not the first one in my family to go to university, etc.
I applied to places like Manchester, LSE, and other places
so I was wondering if they're pointless to apply to because I'll probably get rejected due to my grades, so is it worth it?

Although, last year I only did one external exam which was in Government and Politics and achieved a high A, whilst the rest of my subjects are linear, Psychology and English Literature and Language(combined), and carrying on the Politics course.
My predicted grades are AAB

Contact the unis and ask if they will consider your application with your predicted grades, it’s still probable that they will.

Just make sure you have at least 2 or 3 choices with requirements the same as or below your predicted grades.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest